Another angry neighbor

Reaction score
This morning had clear blue skies, no wind and bright sunshine. I took the Phantom for a flight over my forest and then up the short street I live on. 200 foot altitude. I swung a U turn and returned to home quickly to get some pictures of a fox that was in my back lawn. When I landed an angry neighbor came a knocking. He was quite irate. Apparently when I made my U-turn I flew over his house. He was his back deck enjoying the same sunshine I was.

After 5 minutes I had him calmed down. I showed him the drone, explained how it works and that at 200 feet and going full forward I was not not spying on him. I even showed him my flight log and where I had and had not taken pictures. Before he left he was considering buying a Phantom.

I think the media is painting the wrong picture of Drones. Oh well.

fox.jpg
Fox

I would have told him to go **** in a hat. You can fly over anyone's homes u want however he can't trespass by foot into yours! [emoji6]. I refuse to waste my time
While I agree that this would be my initial thought, the OP did the right thing. To many people are informed by an ignorant media that loves to excite the sheeple into a frenzy over anything. Taking a few seconds to educate and explain the truth about our hobby is very valuable to all of us!
Now his neighbor can educate others that are in the circle of paranoia that the clowns in the media inform.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would have told him to go **** in a hat. You can fly over anyone's homes u want however he can't trespass by foot into yours! [emoji6]. I refuse to waste my time

Yeah this is no longer true in Florida... They just passed a law making it illegal to fly over someone's property without permission. Will that stop me? Probably not... But my neighbors are generally pretty cool and know I fly drones as a hobby

EDITED: this should read you aren't allowed to fly over someone's property and videotape or take photos of that person might interpret it as a violation of their privacy. Please see below for the exact Bill.

As always people shouldn't take the word of anyone on a forum as legal advice and should consult a lawyer if they have any questions or concerns regarding the law.

Last edited:
No, absolutely, I highly respect him for even taking the time to educate someone who is irate on his own property.

Yeah, I would be very upset if I was a Phantom owner in Florida. Basically can't fly them. Period.

Yeah this is no longer true in Florida... They just passed a law making it illegal to fly over someone's property without permission. Will that stop me? Probably not... But my neighbors are generally pretty cool and know I fly drones as a hobby

Wow. That is BS. I can see maybe a minimum altitude or something.

Cite that law? I am pretty sure you are mistaken.

The most recent law prevents unlicensed surveillance. Also says you can't video tape people on their property but, there are no criminal charges attached to it. Someone could sue you but they would have to prove financial losses stemming from the videoing...lol...so it's pretty much a BS law.

If it's the one I remember reading, it states something like ...." with the intent to photograph or video.....". You're fine if you're not snapping away while over people's homes. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer............ but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

I believe that the aerial property lines end at 350 feet...? Can anyone confirm this? Maybe it varies state to state?

Sure would be nice to have a sticky w/ the laws. Something printable even to show people when they inquire.

Mark.

Wow. That is BS. I can see maybe a minimum altitude or something.

Yeah I'm not going to worry about it much.... Seems like a big hassle to press charges and I bet most people in Florida don't even realize the law just passed. It's pretty ignorant legislation... Meant to protect privacy... But what about people in hot air balloons (fly over 3 times a week) and people just walking down the street with an iPhone who's camera is just as powerful to pick up activity in the street.... Sigh... Just stupidity.

Reactions: AmosMoses
If it's the one I remember reading, it states something like ...." with the intent to photograph or video.....". You're fine if you're not snapping away while over people's homes. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer............ but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

I tend to always video... But honestly it's mostly the skyline and at an altitude that I have a hard time pointing myself out much less seeing someone do something in the privacy of their own home or back yard...

Yeah I'm not going to worry about it much.... Seems like a big hassle to press charges and I bet most people in Florida don't even realize the law just passed. It's pretty ignorant legislation... Meant to protect privacy... But what about people in hot air balloons (fly over 3 times a week) and people just walking down the street with an iPhone who's camera is just as powerful to pick up activity in the street.... Sigh... Just stupidity.

"Yeah this is no longer true in Florida... They just passed a law making it illegal to fly over someone's property without permission. "

That quote is the problem...people are going to interpret it exactly the way you said that, when that is totally not the case...at all.

Reactions: BlackHawk388
Cite that law? I am pretty sure you are mistaken.

The most recent law prevents unlicensed surveillance. Also says you can't video tape people on their property but, there are no criminal charges attached to it. Someone could sue you but they would have to prove financial losses stemming from the videoing...lol...so it's pretty much a BS law.

No you're right but it's pretty open to interpretation.... Most of us video when we're flying and the problem is at 200+ ft how are you NOT going to catch someone else's property... You're right about suing for damages... Don't know how you'd define them and I have two lawyers in my family so defending wouldn't cost me much :)

--- SB 766, prohibits the use of aerial drones to capture images that could infringe on the privacy of property owners or occupants. The law allows people to initiate a civil action against a person, state agency or political subdivision that violates the prohibitions. However, the prohibition doesn't include agencies countering the risk of terrorist attacks, police who obtain search warrants that authorize the use of drones, property appraisers making tax assessments, and utilities maintaining their facilities.

"Yeah this is no longer true in Florida... They just passed a law making it illegal to fly over someone's property without permission. "

That quote is the problem...people are going to interpret it exactly the way you said that, when that is totally not the case...at all.

Calm down... If people are coming here to get legal advice they are idiots to begin with. You're right I could have worded it different. The point is... If you video while you fly you now run the risk of some boob suing you. That is the case. Yes... You can fly your camera drone without taking pictures or video... You win. But if we're honest with ourselves most of us are trying to get cool video or photos...so this law does materially change the game. I should have added the video and photography part... My bad

Reactions: Sammynels and n6vmo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31