Announcing Hivemapper

Reaction score
I've had the privilege of working with an amazing company since last February as they developed a great new app and website called Hivemapper. The are a bunch of smart and dedicated guys. Today they start their public beta and announced a new round of funding! Their tag line is:

Never fly alone.
Explore further. Fly safer. Plan better.

You can use their app to fly your drone (P3P, I1, P2V+) accessing an amazing amount of data while you fly. You can share pictures you take and other things you find that might help the community. They show you building heights (20 million in the US) and points of interest in your FPV while you fly and surround obstacles like buildings, antennas etc with a zone of safety - if you fly too close, they give you obstruction warnings.

Check out their site www.hivemapper.com and explore the map to see what they have. If you have a supported drone (and Android for now), install the app and try it out.

Reactions: Ariel@Hivemapper
It's been an absolute thrill getting constant and valuable feedback from @nhoover over the past 10 months to help us build Hivemapper, simply could not have done it without him.

Here is a short introduction video to buildings boundaries and heights data mentioned above

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's been an absolute thrill getting constant and valuable feedback from @nhoover over the past 10 months to help us build Hivemapper, simply could not have done it without him.

Here is a short introduction video to buildings boundaries and heights data mentioned above

Does it have atuomatic return home on low battery or signal loss?

Mark

Hi Mark!

Yes, it has automatic return to home on low battery or signal loss.

It respects the return to home height you set in the DJI Go app.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'd think that they would have included military bases and National Parks right after they added airports, but they did not.

I also don't like that you need to zoom in crazy close on the online map in order to see the building height.

I'd think that they would have included military bases and National Parks right after they added airports, but they did not.

I also don't like that you need to zoom in crazy close on the online map in order to see the building height.

1) Military based and National Parks are coming soon, stay tuned.

2) Building data: Agreed, we need to be able to show the building height data at higher zoom levels. Currently we have so much data that displaying it at higher zoom levels would make the map very slow. Working on a better solution.

As a work-around you can search for an address e.g. 538 Bryant St. San Francisco and it will zoom you in very tight and then just click once to zoom in and all available building data is shown.
Hivemapper | 3D map for drone fliers

Here is news a story on it at TWiT.tv - Tech News Today.

Would love to try it out but surprised you went Android route first. Hopefully iOS will follow soon.

Will the obstruction alert implement a geo fence say 10-20 ft from a building and stop the craft from crashing into the object?

Will the obstruction alert implement a geo fence say 10-20 ft from a building and stop the craft from crashing into the object?

Currently, it will throw a visual (like you see in the screenshot and videos) and audio alert, but it will not take over control and stop you from crashing. Sounds like you want that option?

Currently, it will throw a visual (like you see in the screenshot and videos) and audio alert, but it will not take over control and stop you from crashing. Sounds like you want that option?

That would be a slick option if you could turn it off and on. Folks need to be mindful that, when it's on, it will not save you from all obstructions. Only those that the app knows about. So, that tree you slammed into was probably not tracked by this app :)

Tried it this past weekend. Attempted to use the app to obtain height of the building the app placed an icon on the building in question and even outlined it in orange when I clicked the building but never gave the height in either case. It had a few days prior. I flew with the app and it placed an icon on the building but never displayed anything else.

Tried it this past weekend. Attempted to use the app to obtain height of the building the app placed an icon on the building in question and even outlined it in orange when I clicked the building but never gave the height in either case. It had a few days prior. I flew with the app and it placed an icon on the building but never displayed anything else.

We do not have heights for all buildings. If you see just a building icon then that means we only have the building boundary but not the height.

When you fly and see the icons you need to tap on it to get the additional information like how far away you are from the building.

If you send me the area you are flying in we can expedite the process of getting building heights.

We do not have heights for all buildings. If you see just a building icon then that means we only have the building boundary but not the height.

When you fly and see the icons you need to tap on it to get the additional information like how far away you are from the building.

If you send me the area you are flying in we can expedite the process of getting building heights.

Thanks for the info and this explains what I was seeing. I figured if the building had a icon that the height was listed. It seems to be hit/miss, with buildings about 5 miles apart being listed and not listed.

I'm in the Salt Lake City, UT area.

There are many apps and flying aids coming out and I can see this one as having a lot of potential. Either as a stand alone app (difficult) or the drone manufactures intergrading it into their own apps (much more practical).

You asked, we delivered.

You no longer need to zoom in to see the 20 tallest buildings

We've added military bases and national parks (link to map)

If you see a military base that is closed or a one that we don't yet have you can tell the entire community about it by reporting an issue

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic