Angry!!

Reaction score
.....so I guess that DJI releasing a "new and improved" version every 3 weeks is going to be the norm? 2 weeks ago, I ordered a Phantom 2 w/ zenmuse h3-2d, only to find out that it had been "one uped" by the release of the hd-3d 3 axis. So,...I returned it when it arrived, and ordered the new Phantom 2 / zenmuse h3-3d 3 axis gimbal.
NOW, they release the new Phantom 2 +!!!!

I'm gonna stick with the Phantom 2 w/ zenmuse h3-3d. BUT DANG!!!!

What's coming out NEXT WEEK? A Phantom that can read your mind??!!

I can understand your anger. But, it's a Vision + so it's not really a new version of anything other than a gimble on the vision. Your P2 hasn't been usurped and the go-pro you'll be using has still better quality than the v2+ camera.

:)

I still agree with you that it sucks that DJI seem to just be milking their customer base.

Bmews

not sure it's the better products ian, it's more that they don't warn (even when asked) purchasers that there's a new one coming in a few weeks, thus at least giving the option for the purchaser to make an informed choice. My own vision is just 13 days old and yet it's been replaced with an upgrade I would have waited for had they the courtesy to at least allow me to make a choice. cest la vie :D

ianwood said:
Yeah, I hate it when they make better products!
Exactly, the same thing happens with almost all consumer products.

In 6 month's time there'll be a Vision 3 and the + will be in classifieds little used for half the current price.
Just enjoy what you have - the P1 with a basic camera on it is still good fun.

BMEWS said:
not sure it's the better products ian, it's more that they don't warn (even when asked) purchasers that there's a new one coming in a few weeks, thus at least giving the option for the purchaser to make an informed choice. My own vision is just 13 days old and yet it's been replaced with an upgrade I would have waited for had they the courtesy to at least allow me to make a choice. cest la vie :D

Even if they gave advanced warning, someone would have just bought the current version the day before the advanced warning, I'm not sure how any company would be able to do anything different.

I am more than happy with my Nokia 3330, there's no way I would replace my mobile phone every 5 minutes... :|

Oh, wait I have an HTC One M8, wtf was I thinking...:lol:

markab said:
Even if they gave advanced warning, someone would have just bought the current version the day before the advanced warning, I'm not sure how any company would be able to do anything different.

That's my point. you go into the store or online or wherever and they say here's the P2V, btw just so you know, there's another due out in about a month. Can't say much more. At least you're informed. You can make a choice about whether to purchase there and then, do more research or wait and see. It's an informed choice. And the customer will think (generally) that the company has done the right thing. It's just my opinion, but companies who treat their customers as cash cows normally end up with a bad reputation.

Bmews

I am in the process of sending back my P2V that I received directly from Dji on 4/2/14. I agree with the OP. At least when you are looking to buy and doing some reseach, the company can list all their available products as well as a "Coming Soon" on the product page to give customers a heads-up. I think the way Dji is doing it now is bad business. They should have a little responsibility to their customer base. Just my 2 cents...

I understand the point that some are dissatisfied with the way DJI releases info about their products. On the other hand, you should do your research before you buy. If you find something you like and want, then you should buy it. If you dont like it, if you find that a certain component is crap, if there is something that you think won't suit your purpose, then by all means, keep hunting until you find something else. It sounds to me like a lot of people bought something that they just settled for, not what they really wanted.

You cant blame a company for continually trying to upgrade their products. The fact that a particular person bought at the wrong product, or at the wrong time can't be controlled by DJI.

Just my two cents...

Yeah Im with the company on this one ..... why is it up to them to worry about you or any individual ?? .... their there to sell products to get money for their shareholders and investors in ANY way they can .... just like Microsoft does, just like Apple does, .... just like every bloody company in the world does ..... this moaning here about normal business practice is getting boring, if people feel so hard done by go hang around at the consumer watchdog forums and moan about it there !! :roll: .... as Im hapopy with DJI, Im happy with my P2V ... Im happy they just released a P2V + ... Im happy they are still developing full speed ahead ... im so happy I have already preordered my new P2v+ which i'll propbaly get before they release the new P3V !!! ... which I'll no doubt be happy about as well, ... as It should be time for XMAS ... :twisted:

GMANNZ said:
Yeah Im with the company on this one ..... why is it up to them to worry about you or any individual ?? .... their there to sell products to get money for their shareholders and investors in ANY way they can .... just like Microsoft does, just like Apple does, .... just like every bloody company in the world does ..... this moaning here about normal business practice is getting boring, if people feel so hard done by go hang around at the consumer watchdog forums and moan about it there !! :roll: .... as Im hapopy with DJI, Im happy with my P2V ... Im happy they just released a P2V + ... Im happy they are still developing full speed ahead ... im so happy I have already preordered my new P2v+ which i'll propbaly get before they release the new P3V !!! ... which I'll no doubt be happy about as well, ... as It should be time for XMAS ... :twisted:

+1!

You should be angry- everyone should be.

It is no secret that DJI used a business model that has become synonymous with Planned, and Perceived obsolescence: ever hear of Apple?

Look at the simple, clean, white aesthetic. It screams apple. Look at the constant upgrades and release, with ads that would lead you to believe the newest model is the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Notice the decentralized manner they approach customer support. All that is left is to open satellite retail locations in malls and shopping plazas (DJI Store?) and they will have completed the circuit... except for the massive loss in market share when Android took over a while back.

Basically DJI is purposely doing this, and anyone who likes their products should not be content to indulge in it, and especially should not condone it. I consider it no different than a society that eats it's young.

I liked the simplicity of DJI when I first entered the hobby of multirotors- they made it easy to step into it. My opinion is if they wanted customer loyalty, then they would have not gone down this garden path, and instead been more accommodating to the customer base that established upon entry level purchases (which they do well in marketing) Sure... the profit margins are lower at first- but over time, product loyalty and support would have provided a foundation and solidified thus securing a fixed segment of the market.

What many do not realize, including me upon coming into the hobby is, there is only one part of this whole product that is exclusively DJI, and that is the flight controller- every other aspect of this quad can be made or retrofitted with a part bought outside of DJI. You can also pull the Naza in a Phantom, and set up a different FC- (Naze 32, Flip, KKc, pixhawk, etc) and have the same capabilities, and more.

I was mad at first when my v1.1.1 came, and immediately within a week they had released the P2. Then the issues with the proprietary set up came into play- now, I prefer to have the v1.1.1 as my options for aftermarket stuff is better (you see, DJI saw us all buying stuff from other people so they wanted that market share too- no fault in that)

I say use the Phantom, and promote to others that is an entry level product- don't do anything else other than learn to fly and how the tech works with a Phantom... and then if you are hooked on the hobby and want more, rather than spend a fortune on overpriced, proprietary DJI "upgrades" move to another platform.

I predict DJI's Phantom will reach it's zenith by year's end- the tipping point is now, and with the regs that will come from FAA, FCC, and Homeland Security in this country, I expect the fervor to pass. What then? Margins drop... R&D will slow... and DJI will be left holding a bunch of Phantoms in various marketing configurations. Perhaps I am wrong... but there are competitors out there thinking outside the box... outside of that clean, white, understated box that looks like something apple released.

Hiway said:
You should be angry- everyone should be.

It is no secret that DJI used a business model that has become synonymous with Planned, and Perceived obsolescence: ever hear of Apple?

Look at the simple, clean, white aesthetic. It screams apple. Look at the constant upgrades and release, with ads that would lead you to believe the newest model is the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Notice the decentralized manner they approach customer support. All that is left is to open satellite retail locations in malls and shopping plazas (DJI Store?) and they will have completed the circuit... except for the massive loss in market share when Android took over a while back.

Basically DJI is purposely doing this, and anyone who likes their products should not be content to indulge in it, and especially should not condone it. I consider it no different than a society that eats it's young.

I liked the simplicity of DJI when I first entered the hobby of multirotors- they made it easy to step into it. My opinion is if they wanted customer loyalty, then they would have not gone down this garden path, and instead been more accommodating to the customer base that established upon entry level purchases (which they do well in marketing) Sure... the profit margins are lower at first- but over time, product loyalty and support would have provided a foundation and solidified thus securing a fixed segment of the market.

What many do not realize, including me upon coming into the hobby is, there is only one part of this whole product that is exclusively DJI, and that is the flight controller- every other aspect of this quad can be made or retrofitted with a part bought outside of DJI. You can also pull the Naza in a Phantom, and set up a different FC- (Naze 32, Flip, KKc, pixhawk, etc) and have the same capabilities, and more.

I was mad at first when my v1.1.1 came, and immediately within a week they had released the P2. Then the issues with the proprietary set up came into play- now, I prefer to have the v1.1.1 as my options for aftermarket stuff is better (you see, DJI saw us all buying stuff from other people so they wanted that market share too- no fault in that)

I say use the Phantom, and promote to others that is an entry level product- don't do anything else other than learn to fly and how the tech works with a Phantom... and then if you are hooked on the hobby and want more, rather than spend a fortune on overpriced, proprietary DJI "upgrades" move to another platform.

I predict DJI's Phantom will reach it's zenith by year's end- the tipping point is now, and with the regs that will come from FAA, FCC, and Homeland Security in this country, I expect the fervor to pass. What then? Margins drop... R&D will slow... and DJI will be left holding a bunch of Phantoms in various marketing configurations. Perhaps I am wrong... but there are competitors out there thinking outside the box... outside of that clean, white, understated box that looks like something apple released.

+1 to the ZEN masters explanation of the reality of business .... :cool:

I don't know if it's still a legal issue but there also used to be an illegal practice referred to as "over stepping the market". This occurred when a company would announce a coming new product that wasn't really ready, but by doing so they hoped to get consumers to not buy a competitor's currently available product, and wait for theirs.

It's kind of ironic that for months we've bashed DJI for interminable delays in delivering "promised" upgrades, and now we're bashing them for not giving us advance notice of upgrades.

If they announce that the Vision XYZ is coming out in a month and folks delay a purchase waiting for the XYZ, but then they find a glitch or have production issues and it doesn't come out for 9 months, guess what? Bashed again!

What's a company to do? Be perfect of course, just like the perfect people that run it.

DaveTown said:
I understand the point that some are dissatisfied with the way DJI releases info about their products. On the other hand, you should do your research before you buy. .

So blame the customer is your view?? I did do my research. The day I bought my P2V (3/28) I did not see any mention of the P2V+. In addition, I asked when I bought it what their product cycle was like and if a newer version might be coming soon. I was told they hd not heard anything. This was a DJI authorized dealer. Sure, I understand about NDAs, but a simple "maybe wait a week until the NAB show to see" would have been a great heads up. It's BS to put it off on the customer.

GMANNZ said:
this moaning here about normal business practice is getting boring,

Then don't read it.

BTW - Apple offered a trade in program after one iPhone release because their customer base felt burned. DJI clearly feels no obligation to their customers. Caveat Emptor is clearly their motto.

SilentAV8R said:
GMANNZ said:
BTW - Apple offered a trade in program after one iPhone release because their customer base felt burned. DJI clearly feels no obligation to their customers. Caveat Emptor is clearly their motto.

Actually DJI did do something like that last year. Folks who purchased a Phantom (~$700 then) during a specific period prior to the Vision's release could get a discount/rebate (something like $150 as best I recall) on the purchase of a Vision. I hadn't purchased a Phantom so it didn't apply to me. I didn't think it was all that significant, but it was something.

There's no right approach here. You don't pre-announce, you get slammed by people who bought without knowing something was around the corner. You pre-announce, and if there's a production delay people incessantly ask (E600, P2 GS) or you get slammed by complaints about vaporware and disrespecting customers by not releasing on time or making a grab for the market without being ready (Lightbridge). Some people get really vitriolic in either case, and they always see the move taken as clearly the wrong one. Every high-demand, high iteration consumer product company deals with the exact same arguments.

Maybe there will be something like the Phantom 1 rebate, that's not a bad way to handle the most aggrieved customers.

Personally, I'm not ashamed to say I often buy from places with 30+ day no-questions asked satisfaction-guaranteed refund policies. People bash Amazon because they're not a LHS, but if this happens they're happy to take a return. That's what it's there for and is your own protection against something like this happening if the possibility really upsets you. I'm honest about why I'm returning and pay my own return postage, but you could say it's defective and get that covered too, if you're one of those people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues