Anemometer

Reaction score
Anyone use one of these cheaper ones from eBay? If so any good? Mine arrived today

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400318959.282134.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400318959.282134.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 743
I don't have the exact same one but one similar and I like it.

I fastened a streamer to the bottom so when I measure I can tell the wind direction and keep the unit perpendicular to it.

I've got the same unit, seems to work ok, but I've found the temperature gauge is not accurate, so not sure how much confidence I have that it measures wind speed accurately. My dad has a weather station at his home, and I intend to check it against that as soon as I get an opportunity to visit.

PhantomNoob said:
I've got the same unit, seems to work ok, but I've found the temperature gauge is not accurate, so not sure how much confidence I have that it measures wind speed accurately. My dad has a weather station at his home, and I intend to check it against that as soon as I get an opportunity to visit.

I have the exact same model and it gives you a general idea of wind speed, but it's definitely not pro equipment... :D

I have a weather station at my house that I'll be upgrading next week as parts show up. The new station will allow me to check a bunch of weather characteristics from my smart phone, tablet or computer. I can also set up a web page that displays this info, so I'm pretty psyched... My home anemometer/wind gauge is 8' off the ground in a clear area in my yard and is pretty accurate...

-slinger

I use a 3' X 1/2" dowell with a 1 foot length of recording tape (stripped from an old cassette) tied to a slot in the top. It gives you an indication of both wind direction and speed. When the tape is straight out there is more wind than when it ts out at say 45 degrees. To me, wind direction is as important speed when landing. I sharpened the bottom end to stich in the ground. Listen to air traffic controllers in the tower giving landing clearance. They always include wind direction and speed. Personally, I dint fly my quad with more than 3 knots of wind. Have fun out there and fly safe

How about a windcompass app? I have a free one on my iPhone and I'm sure there are a bunch for other platforms. Just to make sure, we're only looking for air speed and direction? If so, my free option rules. :mrgreen:

usaken said:
I use a 3' X 1/2" dowell with a 1 foot length of recording tape (stripped from an old cassette) tied to a slot in the top. It gives you an indication of both wind direction and speed. When the tape is straight out there is more wind than when it ts out at say 45 degrees. To me, wind direction is as important speed when landing. I sharpened the bottom end to stich in the ground. Listen to air traffic controllers in the tower giving landing clearance. They always include wind direction and speed. Personally, I dint fly my quad with more than 3 knots of wind. Have fun out there and fly safe

I used to be the same, but it limited my flying time. After seeing these guys sending their Phantoms above the clouds (which I do not recommend), I realized how hearty these guys are. I often fly at 20 knots without problems. It does take some getting used to, but if you do, you will be rewarded.

One more question slinger.. do you have the unit yet? The ratings seem pretty low. How would you rate it? The price can't be beat though.

FRS said:
One more question slinger.. do you have the unit yet? The ratings seem pretty low. How would you rate it? The price can't be beat though.

It'll be here today. I have a lesser unit by Oregon Scientific now, that shares some of the components. I think some of the low ratings have more to do with the purchasers lack of attention to detail and affinity for not RTFM. This is not something a meteorologist would use, but it's pretty good stuff.

They're right about customer support, though. Pretty abysmal. Unfortunately nowadays that's almost a given...

-slinger

FRS said:

I installed everything yesterday and it's all up and running. The software could be a bit more full featured, but I'm looking at third party software that can read this equipment and actually give me what I'm looking for. I can see the weather at my house from my iPhone, my Nexus and any computer... Pretty impressed, actually... :)

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik