Android to Apple

Reaction score
After being a diehard Android user I decided to give Apple a try. I have been anti-Apple for as long as I can remember. I just purchased an iPad Air 2 Cellular. I am coming from a Nexus 7 that was dedicated for the Phantom 3. There is absolutely no comparison between the 2. This thing blows the performance of the Android out of the water. 4 flights now and not one single hiccup. And I have never seen anything run so smooth in all aspects of using it. Just not ready to switch phones yet:)

I'm on Nexus 7 now and like it.... But based on this I may have to borrow my wife's iPad and take a spin. If it is really that much better I may upgrade my iPhone 5 to a 6S+. My 5's battery is about done anyway.

I tried to use my Samsung Galaxy Tab S. It's too large and I nearly bent it tried to force it into the device holder. I also had quite a bit of lag going through the menus and I wasn't even flying yet.

So I bought an Ipad mini 3 after doing tons of research on these forums before I ever lifted off the ground. Another reason I won't use my Tab S is the AMOLED screen has already suffered burn in from playing SimCity on and off for a few months. So if I dared to use this DJI Go app over and over with it. I'd be expecting to see the APPS buttons burnt in the screen after 100 or so flights.

I don't know about Nexus and other android stuff but if the screen is AMOLED you want to never use it with apps and stuff that is fixed for good on your screen.

I use the Nexus 7 2013 version which is the number 1 developers choice for tablets. But the Nexus has a few minor issues that are easily fixed if you search youtube. A couple of tweaks and the Nexus 7 is pretty decent.

Let me add that the things that are important when it comes to any tablet you are using to fly with are; that it has plenty of brightness without a heat issue, and it can process all video situations without rebooting in flight.

1)Brightness
2)Does not over heat
3)No rebooting while in flight

Now, if the tablet ever does reboot while in flight, it is not the end of the world. You will still have control of your aircraft. Something you do want to do though when setting up communication between the device and the R/C, is to make sure to select "Always". This the popup mox that ask which app you want to use the R/C to connect with and if it is "just once" or "always". By selecting "Always" if the tablet should go through a reboot during flight it will automatically connect. I had this happen to me a number of times while beta testing the GO app for dji. Btw, all rebooting and lost connect, no signal issues stopped after we went into the 1.4.0 firmware. I have never had any of those issues since.

I may have over looked this, Where is this at? can you check the app to verify it's set correctly?

Something you do want to do though when setting up communication between the device and the R/C, is to make sure to select "Always". This the popup mox that ask which app you want to use the R/C to connect with and if it is "just once" or "always". By selecting "Always" if the tablet should go through a reboot during flight it will automatically connect..

After being a diehard Android user I decided to give Apple a try. I have been anti-Apple for as long as I can remember. I just purchased an iPad Air 2 Cellular. I am coming from a Nexus 7 that was dedicated for the Phantom 3. There is absolutely no comparison between the 2. This thing blows the performance of the Android out of the water. 4 flights now and not one single hiccup. And I have never seen anything run so smooth in all aspects of using it. Just not ready to switch phones yet:)
I have always been anti apple as well. I too purchased a air 2 cellular after reading so much about its rock solid performance. Nothing I read was wrong! There is no comparison to my android devices I had been using. I needed a new laptop a few weeks ago cause my old one was severely laking in power to edit 2.7k. I again strayed from my roots and got a macbook pro... and again.. performs flawlessly!!!

Reactions: snerd
I got the ipad air 2 cell myself. Didn't want to look back. Never used an apple. Really don't like that you can't connect to or share data as easy nor the fact that the storage is all I got and no SD card, ect ect, but I have no complaints at all with the way it works with the phantom.

I was a major "anti-apple" guy for years (Major MS Window nut here) and I have made good $$ over the years working on Windows based computers. About 2 years ago the corporation I work for mandated we were switching from Droid based phones and tablets to Apple OS and I was NOT happy. I fought it for as long as I could but I finally had to comply and WOW! Now I have Apple phone, iPads (2x) and Apple TV(2x). It's one of the best moves I've made and even though I was against it I am thrilled it happened.

I have almost 100 flights on my P3P and every single one was with the Apple iPad-Mini2 and to date I've not had a single glitch or a hint of a glitch.

I also have the air 2 cellular ! Super fast but the screen is questionable.

I have to say that as soon as I saw this thread title, I was expecting it to devolve into the usual Apple/Android name calling silliness. It is so refreshing that it has not done that and I was wrong to fear the worst. Nice.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4