Android Tablet 8"-10" suggestions, tested?

Reaction score
I am currently flying with my Note 4 but wishing I had more real estate to work with so seeing how my screen is already near to 6", I'm looking for something 8" or wider. This will be my dedicated FPV display and I don't want to spend more than I have to get something that will keep up with the data stream.

Hoping to pickup used/refurb for under $100 via Craigslist, eBay or Amazon. Any recommends?

Reactions: tvckz
Samsung tab 4. It's great and you can get one that'll color match your setup ;)

is the Tab 4 before or after the Tab S in terms of release date? My S6 works fine, I tried my Wife's ipad air 2 and it was great also, BUT my Tab S 10.5 is completely terrible. Lag, lag, lag, unusuable.

Granted, someone told me if I did X. Y, Z, rooted, put garlic around my neck, prayed, did a rain dance, it would work perfectly. Me personally, I have zero desire to go digging into the deep developer options of my $500 tablet in order to make it usable. Here's my recommendation.. if you need an Android go with the Nvidia (Read the forums on that ones performance). But if you want performance and size go Ipad Mini with Retina for speed and glare. and full disclosure I am NOT an Apple fan.

Reactions: jlo
Tab S looks amazing on specs but the **** thing can barely scroll a webpage without jitters. The amazing resolution eats processor power and battery life for lunch.

A friend has Nvidia Shield and quite frankly, it sucks compared to my regular FPV monitors on P2 in the sunlight.

Ipad mini 2. The ios app is miles better than the android version. It's more stable and gives more info. The difference between ios and android is like night and day. Have had and read problems with the android app and frankly is crap compared to the ios version.

The ipad mini 2 is just the ideal size and silky smooth. No stutters and no noticeable lag.

Reactions: tvckz
hah, ipad mini is no where close to my budget. good news though for me is company issued mini is due in my hands within a few months, bad news is it's a few months away :( so i'm not going to drop any coin on something i'm getting free in short order.

interesting to hear in this thread that the Shield is best ever (android) when in another regarding the dreaded com.google.process.gapps, I've heard from a guy with the shield that says he's plagued with crashes.

there doesn't seem to be a common thread here. i'm guessing OS (KitKat/Lollipop) and extent that we have other apps loaded (not dedicated fpv device) has as much to do with issues as the actual hardware specs. Lollipop introduced a whole lot of memory issues with my Note 4. I'm wondering how much of this issue is related to OS/Device instability and how much the app/api hooks. No magic recipe of app/process killing, cache cleaning, background app allow seems to protect me from the dreaded crashes.

Don't need mini with cell, an extra cost you don't need yet.

I got the wifi only version then got a blutooth gps addon, works great with my Phantom 3 and worked out cheaper than the cell version.

Nvidia Shield works flawlessly, and it's probably the closest thing to your budget. I picked one up for $180 on eBay the other day.

If there are any on craigslist near your house you could probably negotiate down to $120-$150.

My Ipad 2 and Ipad mini are not compatable so I've been using my galaxy S4 but want a bigger screen. The Galaxy Tab 4 seems good for the price as I don't really need a 3rd tablet....thoughts? I know you can hack the unsupported apple devices but I don't wanna risk it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.