Android new DJI GO App Good and Bad News

@AlmostTan

So I took my P3 out for a fly this evening, went to my local park.

It was quite windy at times (bursts of wind) so I could see that the P3 was trying to hold its position which it was but with the slightest drifts.

Ok back to the app, I took the P3 out to about 400m-500m away from me/take off point and at about 120m - 130m altitude, I noticed it had slight lag on visual at that distant but not much of a big issue as I'm still getting signal/visual which was good enough as atleast I was getting visual on the phone, however everytime I got the low battery 30% warning, the app froze and I did'nt try restarting it and bring it back to life as I had LOS, reason being is its now come to a point, where if I'm still in control of the P3 I don't bother trying to bring the app back on due to having LOS.

I used 3 batteries in total and had around an hours worth of flight, now if I did not have LOS I most likely would of panicked and tried to get tge DJI GO app back up and if all failed I would of just RTH'd, however 90% of the time I have LOS and I'm just so frustrated and fed up with the DJI apps that since I still be in control of the P3 I just dont bother anymore.

So the verdict being the DJI GO app still freezes, however only when the low batt on the P3 flags up on the phone screen and not half way/2-3 mins through flying like the DJI Pilot app used to.

It feels a lot better though compared to the Pilot app (don't ask how and why lol, it just does)

Tomorrow I'm going down to Bournemouth beach in the UK and will be flying it around, want to take some nice pics/videos of the beach, sea and the whole family.

Will have my lil cousins ipad with with me as a failsafe and if the Android app keeps P!$$|N& me off.

I can't believe DJI making all that money from sales and they can't seem to get a stupid app to work properly, I can understand on earlier android phones or tablets with low spec but come on DJI its a Note 4 for gods sake, sort it out.
I'm not 100% sure, I will have to pay better attention on my next flight, but I'm pretty sure that my app crashes right around the same time as the low battery warning.
My setup is:
P3p
Latest fw and app
Galaxy S5 in airplane mode

Today I made the update from DJI pilot to DJI Go on a samsung S4
No issues with pilot and no issues with Go except that when i land my P3 and turn it off i coudnt close the DJI Go app on my phone....
Lets see again next time!!!

I have problem using DJI GO..unable to play using this app..too much lagging..any solution please?
Current im using S4 sortware 5.0.1

I run on a note edge (bout same as note 4 hardware wise) and a galaxy tab 10.1 2014 edition. Both do the same thing, video freeze ups, video jitters and bad pixelation, signal icons drop out suddenly and claims it's losing connection even at 70 feet away at 100 foot up and at any other combination. Antenna's all set correctly etc. Running p3s. (My phone and tablet are cleaned(unnecessary apps and memory freed up as much as can be)

OK so I did some research and testing today. So being tired of the lag and connection issues and not really being able to do a real flight, I looked over at my wife's iPhone 6 and thought I wonder how well it works.

So I download dji go, and thought how I could test.

So I put the bird in the house on a table, and take a walk down the street, did this with both phones.

Now I get maybe 150 feet down the street and go down another road a bit so there is another house in the LOS of the connection causing some good interference on the connection. What happened was rather remarkable.

On the note edge, as I walked down the street it's OK at first but as I get down the street it starts to get video jitters and lag. Granted controller pointing away from the bird. As I get around the neighbor's house so it's between me and the bird it freezes if I'm turned away from the bird, but if I turn towards the bird it is OK but lag and jitters, wasn't flight worthy.

On the iPhone it was rock solid. Only had a jitter or two not constantly like the edge was doing. Even with a house between me and the bird and turned away from the bird the connection was ok, even flyable. Turned to the bird it worked great. No to very little lag and the connection icons were more predictable and smooth going down and up in range (bars).

So here's my theory on what's going on.

1. Maybe the cpu/graphics can't keep up and lags the phone a little which lags the app and you see connection icons suddenly drop etc rather than losing one bar at a time etc. Hardware issue maybe.

2. Perhaps the note edge is putting out some emi that the iPhone isn't that's messing with the control signal, I mean it is dang close to the antenna clamped in. Perhaps the iPhone has better emi shielding around the radios, heck I dunno.

Tomorrow I'm going to do same tests with the phone radios off, airplane mode, and only WiFi on for phantom. Will report the results if ya want them. I'm starting to think it's more of a hardware issue. I simply do not trust flying using android as it is right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.