Android App Downloads

Reaction score
I need help. Just received my Vision 2 and have spent the past 8 hours trying to down load the Vision app to my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. Google Play says my device is not supported, but it is listed in "supported devices".

I have tried the link on the DJI website and others in this forum to bypass google play. It acts as if it is downloading and I get a vision icon on my apps list. But when I go to it all I get is a few pictures of the Phantom with some tips.

I have had no luck trying to find a person at either DJI or Google Play to talk with to see what I can do. I really don't want to buy a new device, but it might be worth it after spending this much time.

What devices do work? I really want to use a small tablet so I can see it better. Thanks

Have you linked your phone to the extender? There is a setting on the Samsung under advanced properties about trying to automatically find a stronger signal (I don't have that phone so I am unfamiliar) that you should uncheck.

No android tablets or phablets are officially supported, it's not a Google Play issue - you always need to side-load the .apk on anything other than straight phones running 4.0 or above.

What you are describing doesn't sound like the right app, though? From memory (as it's a one-time only deal) there should be an option to create a DJI account/log in with it if you already have, then you should have a page that has 4 selectable areas: camera (greyed out until you network connect with the camera - as mentioned in your advanced wifi settings there should be an option to say don't ignore networks without internet connectivity), album, news and settings. Above those is an area with the name of the network you are connected to in it. That should have your Vision's network name in it if everything is switched on, rather than your home network or whatever.

Pull_Up said:
No android tablets or phablets are officially supported, it's not a Google Play issue - you always need to side-load the .apk on anything other than straight phones running 4.0 or above.
I downloaded the app to a Tesco Hudl tablet from the play store. I have not used it with the PV2 yet as it is not as stable as my phone. I am going to give it a go tomorrow (weather permitting) so swmbo can operate the camera while I fly.

That's interesting. The Hudl must be reporting itself as a phone; the Nexus 7 for example won't show the Vision app on the Play Store. Side load it and it's fine, though. Let us know how it goes with the Hudl - you might find its processor struggles with the video streaming, so be prepared to drop your preview resolution if there's a lot of lag or it goes choppy even when flying at close range. If all's well then that might make an excellent budget 7" screen.

Pull_Up said:
That's interesting. The Hudl must be reporting itself as a phone; the Nexus 7 for example won't show the Vision app on the Play Store. Side load it and it's fine, though. Let us know how it goes with the Hudl - you might find its processor struggles with the video streaming, so be prepared to drop your preview resolution if there's a lot of lag or it goes choppy even when flying at close range. If all's well then that might make an excellent budget 7" screen.
Yes, will do. Just have to hope the weather cooperates (this afternoon was bitter & most unpleasant).

Pull_Up said:

I was also informed a while back about the nexus 7 won't show app on play store, it does on mine :?

Pull_Up said:
Good news, maybe DJI has started to revisit their "known to work" list. Have been tempted by a Nexus 7 myself recently, that might tip me over the edge... doh! :cool:

It works pretty spiffy on a Nexus 7 (2012 version) No problemo...

-slinger

Pull_Up said:
Good news, maybe DJI has started to revisit their "known to work" list. Have been tempted by a Nexus 7 myself recently, that might tip me over the edge... doh! :cool:

Yep I would say buy one, you won't be disappointed... Works a treat and nice big app screen ;)

Well I finally solved that problem. I used the QR code on the box it came. It downloaded the same folder of 5 pictures. This time I noticed a small box at the bottom of the last picture that said " Login". I did that and everything seems to work fine. I can operate the camera both in pics and video and watch them on the tablet as long as everything is still on. Once I turn the copter off I can pull up the video on the tablet, but it won't play. My real issue now is I can't read the scandisk in my computer. I have tried it in Windows XP and 7 with no luck ......any Ideas......I did format it in the camera before using it....is there softwear I need to open the files?

I wish I would have found this forum before I purchased. I would have waited longer till all the bugs were worked out. My experience has been far from that represented in DJI "Collin's" vids. Being older and not tec savy has really stressed me out these past few days. Now I am reading about downloads to fix old problems that may create new ones....I just want to package it all up and send it back.

tumaloman said:
Well I finally solved that problem. I used the QR code on the box it came. It downloaded the same folder of 5 pictures. This time I noticed a small box at the bottom of the last picture that said " Login". I did that and everything seems to work fine. I can operate the camera both in pics and video and watch them on the tablet as long as everything is still on. Once I turn the copter off I can pull up the video on the tablet, but it won't play. My real issue now is I can't read the scandisk in my computer. I have tried it in Windows XP and 7 with no luck ......any Ideas......I did format it in the camera before using it....is there softwear I need to open the files?

I wish I would have found this forum before I purchased. I would have waited longer till all the bugs were worked out. My experience has been far from that represented in DJI "Collin's" vids. Being older and not tec savy has really stressed me out these past few days. Now I am reading about downloads to fix old problems that may create new ones....I just want to package it all up and send it back.

The thing that makes the Phantoms easy to fly is all the technology built in. That will always need updating from time to time - not just to fix problems, but also to introduce new or improved features (like the promised ground station capabilities). As a minimum to keep you flying safely you need to be comfortable with plugging it into the computer now and again and updating firmware and also using a computer to get your files off the Vision to view them. If you really feel that that's going to be a bit much then seriously consider sending it back, because you're just going to resent it all the time and won't enjoy it.

Having said that, we're a pretty friendly bunch here and there's always someone on hand to help, so if you want to stick it out a bit longer let's see if we can't get you going with the pics and videos at least! When you put the sd card in your card reader I assume you can see it and open it up in Windows explorer? When you try and double click on a photo for example what error message are you getting? They should open up in whatever image viewer you have set as default assuming you have been saving the pics as jpegs (which is the default setting in the app).

Reactions: Pulsar747n
Yeah updating firmware looks like its going to be a normal thing, not really surprising. That's certainly a good thing, these counter rotating heli's are basically flying computers so being able to update is necessary. Once you do it few times it becomes pretty strait forward.If you need help just ask, if you can get on skype for a video call etc it will be easy to get some help. you don't even need a webcam for video conferencing on skype , you could just watch and follow along.

Make a list of all the current versions and go one by one checking them from the list, it might help to keep a log of all your updates just to stay on top of things. If you don't have photoshop or something i would recommend GIMP its free and open source tool for image manipulation and it works pretty darn well for being free.

That's what I hate about an email format conversation...emotions can be read different then they were intended. My frustration is more to do with my short comings when it comes to tech stuff. I grew up before microwaves and still marvel at what they can do.
I think that the Phantom product is amazing ...it is just way over my head. When I read some of the conversations here....I say to myself....what are they talking about and what did I get myself into.
I am not beyond asking for help or I wouldn't have got on the forum. Maybe I missed it, but I could not find any access to " help" on the DJI website. I do appreciate the fact that you are going through the forum to see how you can help those of us that are having problems.
Here is where I am at. I just received the Vision on Jan 8th from B&H Photo. I can't find anything that tells me what version I have to know if I have to run an update or not at this time. I can't see needing "Advanced flight Maneuvers" and certainly don't want to risk messing something up where I break the link between camera and the extender. I had problems just downloading the assistant Software to my computer, which makes me very apprehensive to plug it into the Vision.
When I first loaded the scandisk and formatted it...it told me that it was full when I tried to take a picture. It took several times formatting before it help a pic. When I put in in the computer reader, it will not open at all. Is there a download app that will help me out?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4