And the drone world keeps getting rocked!

Just watching it on CNN, they're specifically addressing our inability to self-police. If they only knew!

Garysam said:
Well lucky for us it happened on CNN no one watches them anyway they have the lowest ratings

Not a fan of CNN huh?

How many of you actually fly your aircraft at 2500 ft above the ground?
There is no real description just the word DRONE.
I can hardly see my Phantom when I get 200 feet up. (ok so I am getting old and blind)
It was probabley a bird.

ACLV said:
How many of you actually fly your aircraft at 2500 ft above the ground?
There is no real description just the word DRONE.
I can hardly see my Phantom when I get 200 feet up. (ok so I am getting old and blind)
It was probabley a bird.

I've yet to hear anyone explain what type of drone flies at that altitude, but the picture all the media outlets are using is of a Phantom like drone. I don't know if the drone was military or what, but I do know we're getting the blame.

you can get the phantom to 2500 feet. You can a car up to 130MPH. Doesn't mean you should. I wouldn't be opposed to DJI and other companies making it so their products couldn't fly over a certain limit. The same they are doing with the airports. As was just pointed out, what is the point of flying so high? So you can see the world from that view? Everyone who has been in a plane has seen it from that height. I see "drones" or quads or whatever you want to call them serving 3 purposes. First is your fun flyer who wants to fly around and just have fun. Usually they don't have a camera on it and if they do, they don't care so much about FPV, they just want to have fun. To them it is a toy. This group flies mostly line of sight so really there isn't a need for them to break FAA rules. The second group is the professionals who film with a purpose. They get paid for their work and don't just go out and film the top of peoples houses. These are the ones who usually use S1000 or larger rigs but if it is a small area may use a phantom. Most of what they are filming is on the ground but being filmed from above so they also don't need to fly outside of FAA rules. The third group is the group who most of us fall into. We have a vision or a gopro and we have a youtube channel. We shoot stuff and put it on youtube and it gets a couple hundred views. We don't get paid and we usually don't have a purpose. This is the "problem" group. Reason being is because they are the group that wants to "experiment" and test stuff. What would my town look like from 5000 feet up? How far can I send my P2 with the ground station before it crashes? How close can I get to that endangered eagles nest before it flies away. This is the group that not only is crossing the line and hurting the perception of the "drone" world but also the biggest group affected by their actions.

A lot of people on here do things that they think are ok or think "the FAA rule is dumb". And yes there are a lot of dumb rules in the world but many of the rules help our world to maintain a balance and a flow. When a phantom flies across an airport and grounds air traffic and throws off a whole travel schedule, thats not right nor cool.

Ksc said:
you can get the phantom to 2500 feet. You can a car up to 130MPH. Doesn't mean you should.

Exactly.

Garysam said:
Well lucky for us it happened on CNN no one watches them anyway they have the lowest ratings

If only a drone would go missing in the Indian ocean, it would give them something to talk about for weeks!

Ksc said:
A lot of people on here do things that they think are ok or think "the FAA rule is dumb". And yes there are a lot of dumb rules in the world but many of the rules help our world to maintain a balance and a flow. When a phantom flies across an airport and grounds air traffic and throws off a whole travel schedule, thats not right nor cool.

I couldn't agree more. If people gotta die in order for you to have fun, then I say eff ewe (see what I did there! :lol: ), and I have no respect for that type of thinking.

ianwood said:
If only a drone would go missing in the Indian ocean, it would give them something to talk about for weeks!

Ok, I spit my coke out on that one. :lol:

on a semi related note with respect to FAA rules. Of all the youtube videos I've seen, the ones that I enjoy the most are ones with nice slow steady flying. Usually flown between 30 and 150 feet off the ground depending on location.

Prime examples are on DJI's homepage right now:
http://vimeo.com/93564185
http://vimeo.com/94380407 (even though only a handful of the scenes are aerial)

I think the average person who may see a "drone" flying to film these two videos would not panic and freak out like someone who sees a "drone" chasing a herd of goats at Yosemite or buzzing a busy airport.

But enough of the rant. This hobby will undergo laws and changes just as skateboarding as gone through. Years ago you never saw a "no skateboarding" sign but today you see them every where. Maybe if we are lucky, we will have a drone park where we can fly.

I think in some sense as well, some people dont respect some of these drone/aviation laws given the deluded examples Govt's set for them in the same light ..... if its ok for them (Military and Govts) to fly off with drones to someone elses country, uninvited, dismiss local sovereignty, international law and then blow away entire families of women and children cause there "might" be a single bad guy lurking in the shadows somewhere ??? ... its a little far reaching to then turn around and say you cant fly your toy drone in the park at home and carryon all preachy about what you can and cant do in the name of safety ??

If its ok "and acceptable by society" to blow away innocent people with a drone, .. I hardly see any issue with flying one in most other instances, anywhere, and at any height ... safely.

I do think sometimes thats why so many people hate these things ... they are feeling collectively guilty for whats being done in ther name with drones, and so want nothing to do with them or have them (of any type) anywhere near them.

The FAA pulled this story out of their *ss. They thought nothing of it at the time it occurred, but now that they can change the story a little, throw the word "drone" in there, they can maybe scare some politician into action to satisfy who? Nancy Pelosi?
In the airline incident, the pilot described the aircraft as an F4 Phantom. Not a DJI Phantom, and it was Camo'd? Sounds like maybe a large scale R/C jet to me, not a Quadcopter.

St. Louis: The Phantom was simply found on the patio of a high-rise. No one saw it crash into the building, they're "assuming" a lot there.

EVERYONE (all 9400 registered users here!) need to start posting this story everywhere they can, while asking why the media isn't outraged about the dangerous actions of the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office in Texas when they crashed their $250,000 DRONE (R/C Helo) into a lake?

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Drone-recovered-in-Lake-Conroe-5464205.php

CERTAINLY this was an irresponsible act and WHAT IF that 50 POUND DRONE crashed into someone!?!?!??!

He could have seen anything, given the approach speed of a landing jetliner is between 150-225 MPH and the size of the "Drone" he had about 2 seconds to acquire it, register it as a danger, and identify it. It could have been a drone, or a bird, or glare on the windscreen. As for who fly's a phantom that high, just search youtube and you will see plenty of pilots making the 2000-3000' level, why?, I have no idea.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj