And the DA award goes to Florida

Wow, and I knew crap like this was just around the corner again. Give a cool tool/hobby to the masses and there will be the ones that will ruin it and get negative legislation passed. I mentioned awhile back that dji making such a cool, high tech toy affordable wasn't necessarily good for the hobby and for the true hobbyists. I know dji isn't the only manufacturer but they seemed to be one of the major players to popularize these multi rotor copters with a camera. I can say without a doubt that there is legislation right around the corner that will limit normal people from flying these craft around. IT sucks for the folks that do this for pleasure and follow common sense rules. Really sucks for the people who have thousands invested in it and then there are the one that have the 5 thousand multi rotor flying machines.

****Side note I finally got my super nice Carbon Fiber props through the mail. Anyone need phantom key'd CF 8in props? 25 bucks shipped. I am for sure not getting another phantom so these got to go because every time I see them I get sad.

-Bryan

You two fell for the fake story.

I'm in the video business. I know how easy it is to manipulate sound bites and images to tell a completely different story.

Look at the footage. He was not trying to spy on the sunbather! He was flying around the pool, period! The news station had to digitally zoom in on her to make it look like that is what he was doing.

Then, they said he flew "within feet of a apartment window" again zooming into the window. He was simply flying around his apartment complex. Period. But, they digitally zoom in and make it look like he was trying to see inside.

Don't fall for this bull crap!! This is how the media manipulates everything.

As for it "dangerously falling out of the sky", yeah, real planes do that too.

Reactions: WetDog
I did not write this. It is a comment that someone wrote on the news site. I just think he spoke better than I did above:

After reviewing almost 2 hours of footage, the editor zooms in on a small portion of the video that was so grainy that you can hardly tell it's a woman in a bikini, then to claim it was flying directly overhead. Was that all you could find? This is sensationalistic journalism and akin to stories for the National Enquirer. The biased reporters have no clue what they are talking about. So what about the rest of the footage? Well since they couldn't really find a story they just make one up. Oh lets use video trickery and make it appear to be looking into some ones window. He lost transmitter lock and it was flying near the interstate, which he lives right next to, but wait we can put a spin on this, lets say it directly over traffic and is endangering lives. In reality if it were to hit a car, the quad is so light that the driver would probably never had noticed. Back to the footage over the highway, signal was lost, the quad goes into failsafe mode. The footage clearly shows it turning around and was about to head toward where it took off from. Oh the camera went dead, time for another spin! lets say it came crashing down. Now did the camera really go dead or was it heading away form the interstate so the footage was conveniently cut short, then claim it crashed. In reality it self landed in a tree, where the quad appears not to have any damage. Claiming it fell out of the sky it simply a bold face lie.

I think all 2 hours of footage should be aired, want to bet after the first 10 minutes, everybody will be bored to death.

Darrell1 said:
I did not write this. It is a comment that someone wrote on the news site. I just think he spoke better than I did above:

After reviewing almost 2 hours of footage, the editor zooms in on a small portion of the video that was so grainy that you can hardly tell it's a woman in a bikini, then to claim it was flying directly overhead. Was that all you could find? This is sensationalistic journalism and akin to stories for the National Enquirer. The biased reporters have no clue what they are talking about. So what about the rest of the footage? Well since they couldn't really find a story they just make one up. Oh lets use video trickery and make it appear to be looking into some ones window. He lost transmitter lock and it was flying near the interstate, which he lives right next to, but wait we can put a spin on this, lets say it directly over traffic and is endangering lives. In reality if it were to hit a car, the quad is so light that the driver would probably never had noticed. Back to the footage over the highway, signal was lost, the quad goes into failsafe mode. The footage clearly shows it turning around and was about to head toward where it took off from. Oh the camera went dead, time for another spin! lets say it came crashing down. Now did the camera really go dead or was it heading away form the interstate so the footage was conveniently cut short, then claim it crashed. In reality it self landed in a tree, where the quad appears not to have any damage. Claiming it fell out of the sky it simply a bold face lie.

I think all 2 hours of footage should be aired, want to bet after the first 10 minutes, everybody will be bored to death.

Agreed! Another sensationalism by the media. Don't they have any real "news" to report on any more?

There is no such thing as media spin and propoganda please go back to sleep or you may wake some more sheep. ;)

Holy crap that literally made me almost fall off my chair from laughing (or crying!).

Now for my sins I am English... living in England (shock!). I love the USA, I have been there lots over my 30+ years, visited about 30+ of the 50 states infact and even had a long term, long distance relationship with a lass there (no not a chat room venture thank you!! lol).

But seriously when you compare our two countries approach to TV media coverage (and especially news) this kinda thing just makes me smile and cry in equal amounts. I really don't think you would ever get that kinda lame ***, scaremonger media hyped, 'twisted from the truth' story here. It just wouldn't be allowed to air on national TV.

Darrell1 I totally agree with you and (most of) that quote. Ok the guy lost control and flow near a freeway... not good and actually if an F450 hits your car while doing 60+ in traffic the impact is the least of the worrys, it is the shocked reactions of motorists that is bad. But 'Zooming toward a window' and 'this innocent sunbather' (that we can see if we use 1000x digital post edit zoom)... Ugggg it makes me want to vomit! Can you imagine the field day they would have if they found an camera phone from a teenage boy on a Florida beech! You can see the headline "Teenage sex pests are rife on the sands!" lol

Then you have the 'law maker' who, when faced with a TV station hounding her with the post edit video, HAS to say she isn't happy about it just to justify her job role/candicy in office.... its everything wrong with media (though the political issue is the same here if not worse!)

Don't get me wrong this is not USA liberal media bashing (well maybe a little). The UK media (red banner newspapers especially!) is just as likely to do this but never an independent TV news outlet. At best they'd report the issue of flying over a freeway or landing it on someones head but not the editorial scare tactics.

It really is no wonder why people live in fear if you can turn the TV on anywhere in the world and get reporting like that. Such a shame.

Anyway I'm going to close my curtains and go to bed now... I guess I have to walk to the window slowly and do so with my eyes closed incase i get accused of 'aggresively learing at the neighbours' :shock: :lol:

WTF. Everything in the US is a soap opera. Total spin.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeweyAXD, read some of the comments under the news story. The problem is, people fall for it!! They believe this crap. It's how Obama got elected. People needed to be fooled. :x

Darrell1 said:
DeweyAXD, read some of the comments under the news story. The problem is, people fall for it!! They believe this crap. It's how Obama got elected. People needed to be fooled. :x

Oh man why did you have to go suggest I go do a thing like that! That just makes me feel sad! l :lol:

Some classic comments there from highly educated, well informed citizens (you could cut the sarcasm with a knife! :p ). I especially like how people feel so incensed by the dangers of it all that they think shooting a 3000fps metal projectile out of a gun directly into the air (at the drone) will help. Irony being that if the bullet lands through a windshield at terminal velocity on the interstate and killed 100 people in a pile up the news could scream and shout all they want but the government can't act due to it being unconstitutional! God forbid the landed on the bikini clad sunbather... the poor girl would have to start a sexual harrasment suite against said bullet for illegally entering her! :roll:

Of course if you delivered a 100% free Phantom with GoPro to all the people that gave a negative comment against drones in on that site I'm sure they would all smash them up or sell them in a rage lol

Ok i'm desperateley going to try and not look at any of this further and prey my new motor/esc arrives so i can get back to the fun of the hobby. Heres to happy flying for as long as we can legally do it. First one to have their Phantom shot by an angry civillian buys the beers! ;)

Darrell1 said:
You two fell for the fake story.

What are you talking about? The DA award goes to the news crew... Not the pilot. Its the same video we all end up with. Some girl down below, some window in the distance, some way for someone to say we are doing something wrong when we arent. Just like the pilot in the interview.

So not sure why the nudge. Just posting a link..

Well then this misguided information is going to continue to draw the wrong attention to these aircraft/hobby. I didn't take the time to read the article in detail so that was my fault. On the other side of things I've flown over a highway once or twice and I flew around a pool but it was when no one was around. Glad I didn't use mine when there were a bunch of attractive females out because that may have made the news in the wrong way and put the spotlight on me. There are some pool parties at my apartment where there is standing room only and it's a big area. There are nothing but gorgeous women in little bikinis and the alcohol flows like water. I thought about flying there where I'm sure everyone would have gotten a kick out of it. I was just scarred because I could see some drunk college, frat boy chunking a beer at it and it ending up in the pool where I'd go crazy and a fight would happen.

freelanceshots said:
Well then this misguided information is going to continue to draw the wrong attention to these aircraft/hobby. I didn't take the time to read the article in detail so that was my fault. On the other side of things I've flown over a highway once or twice and I flew around a pool but it was when no one was around. Glad I didn't use mine when there were a bunch of attractive females out because that may have made the news in the wrong way and put the spotlight on me. There are some pool parties at my apartment where there is standing room only and it's a big area. There are nothing but gorgeous women in little bikinis and the alcohol flows like water. I thought about flying there where I'm sure everyone would have gotten a kick out of it. I was just scarred because I could see some drunk college, frat boy chunking a beer at it and it ending up in the pool where I'd go crazy and a fight would happen.
:D I agree.

What's funny about all this is news crews use helicopters with stabilized zoom lenses worth at least $100k - yet they are never accused of spying. This is also quite ironic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ne ... _incidents

Darrell1 said:
What's funny about all this is news crews use helicopters with stabilized zoom lenses worth at least $100k - yet they are never accused of spying. This is also quite ironic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ne ... _incidents

And the Government uses Satellites, drones, balloons, security cameras, wiretaps, etc to unlawfully spy on every one way beyond any legal uses they are permitted. News crews and media do the exact same and its just funny how those in the business of spying are allowed to do so but they dont want regular citizens access to a tool that could be used as a very crude spy camera even though if you wanted to spy on someone there are millions of better ways to do this.

I think more likely they love to keep an eye on what everyone else is doing, but want to try and ensure there is nobody that can see them as they may be caught out doing the wrong thing which these sorts of agencies are known to do on the odd occasion. ;)

In this case exposing a crime is the crime, and no attempt is made to enforce any illegal act exposed against these people no matter how many laws they break. The person exposing the crime or blowing the whistle is the criminal and will be punished as will everyone else under "terrorism" laws. The hypocrisy of this is so bizzare that I just cant get my head around it, I believe that if the people in charge of creating and enforcing the laws arent leading by example then what right have they to enforce such laws. But breaking every law they can then expecting others to do so is just a little bit hypocritical is it not, the law should apply to everyone and rights to privacy should be the same for everyone.

Not only are the US military using drones to spy on people they also use them to blow them up using nothing more then a long distance zoom image of a person, not much different to the girl by the pool in this example. They use this to Identify a "terrorist" then impart their so called "justice" on them by blowing them and anyone around them into millions of pieces. What happened to innocent till proven guilty? do they have a legal right to spy on people from the air? identify them with a grainy image, then convict them of terrorism find them guilty and hand out a death sentence? all within a few minutes. Is this not the real drone issue? now someone explain to me how a DJI phantom is even remotely close to what these evil people do with their lawless machines of death.

They want us to stop flying in public places with a wide angle camera, sure if you break any laws you are liable for that but is it really that big a deal that needs a blanket ban. If we get banned from flying what they term as "drones" will this also ban all drone use by the military or any authorized spy agencies?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub