And so it begins.... v1.1 H3-3D ribbon cable failures !

Reaction score
I still haven't figured out what, exactly, that design change was for. The common explanation is to provide compatibility with Lightbridge, but I'm running Lightbridge with the original H3-3D design, where the GoPro is connected (and charging) via the back panel connector and HDMI out is via the lightweight HDMI cable.

So what did the ribbon cable modification achieve?

sar104 said:
I still haven't figured out what, exactly, that design change was for. The common explanation is to provide compatibility with Lightbridge, but I'm running Lightbridge with the original H3-3D design, where the GoPro is connected (and charging) via the back panel connector and HDMI out is via the lightweight HDMI cable.

So what did the ribbon cable modification achieve?
Thinking out loud... Maybe the next version of the gopro(rumored for release this summer) doesn't have the port in the back as the hero3 does. Just an idea...

I got mine, and just when I pulled the thing out of the box, boom there goes the ribbon.
Still not sure if it was shipped like that or I broke it.

Fortunately there is another one included, but when this one will break where do I get another one???

I've wondered if it is a heat or compatibility issue. There are a few cases of GoPros melting in the 2D gimbal.

I'm wondering if DJI didn't bother to license the GoPro connector (GoPro have said several times that they don't consider the H3-2D etc as official accessories) and GoPro have got shirty with them.
It's the only reason I can think of for this travesty of design.

rilot said:
I'm wondering if DJI didn't bother to license the GoPro connector (GoPro have said several times that they don't consider the H3-2D etc as official accessories) and GoPro have got shirty with them.
It's the only reason I can think of for this travesty of design.

Ohhh... Good call Mr Rilot !! I hadn't considered that one.

Now - if that connector is a GoPro invention and copyrighted by them or, as you say, anything that uses that interface must be licensed for use you may have hit the nail on the head!

Of course, I'm sure DJI would have got all the required permissions in place prior to marketing no??.. Hmmmmm :roll:

In a recent email from DJI re my Zenmuse H3-3D Version 1.0 I asked directly the question for the
change, this was the reply:

"The reason why the V1.1 H3-3D gimbal got released is because DJI cannot find a qualified Gopro connector supplier(The connector on the main board of the H3-3D gimbal used to connect the Gopro camera) anymore, so we change the design by add USB socket and remove the connector. Right now I am not sure if this design will help on the analogue video interference."

Dave

mitchsden said:
In a recent email from DJI re my Zenmuse H3-3D Version 1.0 I asked directly the question for the

"The reason why the V1.1 H3-3D gimbal got released is because DJI cannot find a qualified Gopro connector supplier(The connector on the main board of the H3-3D gimbal used to connect the Gopro camera) anymore, so we change the design by add USB socket and remove the connector. Right now I am not sure if this design will help on the analogue video interference."

Dave

So it wasn't to improve anything, and that reply is not inconsistent with it being a licensing issue. I'm certainly glad that I got one of the V1.0s.

sar104 said:
mitchsden said:

Dave

So it wasn't to improve anything, and that reply is not inconsistent with it being a licensing issue. I'm certainly glad that I got one of the V1.0s.
Aha, very interesting, this is all starting to make sense now.

Considering all the issues I'm having with the USB connection, it's apparent this has been a quick fix / fudge by DJI. The USB is clearly less robust than the back plug and prone to interference, coupled with what I've discovered about the crazy yaw servo vibration (see my issues link above for more info) it's no wonder jello is so common.

Also of interest, you can use a 2D GoPro back plug on the v.1.1 3D (info here).

I've tried it... it works but I got some adverse behaviour (see my issues link above for more info).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj