And now more problems...

Reaction score
So, got my brand new replacement P3A via courier today. It's on fw 1.4 and I thought I'd leave it there for now. I've done the IMU calibration in an airconditioned room, I've calibrated the gimbal. Took it out to the local football oval (where I did successfully calibrate the first P3A) and I can't calibrate the compass. So I move about 15 metres away and try again, nothing. Moved to another spot, still nothing. 4 tries in different locations and all the same message.

So I come home again, and try to calibrate in the empty rural block next to our property. Same issue again, won't calibrate the compass.

I had NO metal on me all, no earrings, watch, rings, nothing. I didn't have my iPhone close to the P3A, I set that (attached to the remote controller) on the ground and moved away from them each time.

iPhone was in airplane mode the whole time.

The first unit I had two days before there was an error with GPS dropout...now the replacement unit won't let me calibrate the compass. Right about now I'm ready to tear my hair out. :(

What is actually happening.
Does it go into calibration mode as you'd expect?
Are you definitely doing it correctly (apologies if experienced user but I have seen some very odd mis-conceptions!)
With the P3 I find you need to go more like one and a half turns - well more than 360 degrees - before the light changes.

Yes, it goes into calibration mode, I keep turning more than one single time...first horizontally, then pointing the aircraft downwards according to the illustration in the Go app...and then the error message comes up. I'm holding it a metre off the ground as instructed.

Before you give up the compass sensor may be stuck. If you have a screwdriver that has a magnetic end to it wave it right next to the compass in a round movement and on both sides. Then retry to calibration. This will some time so to speek degause the compass and slow it to function again. Worth a try.

I just tried it again, I get a solid green light after the horizontal rotation, with the battery pack facing me, and then when I point it face down and turn one and half circles, I get flashing red lights...

Before you give up the compass sensor may be stuck. If you have a screwdriver that has a magnetic end to it wave it right next to the compass in a round movement and on both sides. Then retry to calibration. This will some time so to speek degause the compass and slow it to function again. Worth a try.

Um, I have no idea where the compass is even located? Nor what it actually looks like?

Have you tried the hard IMU calabration at the flight location? Worked for me. Never herd of or thought of the magnetic trick. I'm new at this but the hard set worked for me.

RoyVe, can you elaborate a bit on the locations of the compass and this technique?

If this round silver disc is the compass, then no, it's not responding at all to a magnetic screwdriver...the Phantom is switched off, does it have to be on?

IMG_4057.JPG

Have you tried the hard IMU calabration at the flight location? Worked for me. Never herd of or thought of the magnetic trick. I'm new at this but the hard set worked for me.

I did an IMU calibraton indoors on a flat surface in an airconditioned room as soon as the RC and battery were charged. I didn't do one at the oval, I never needed to do that with the other P3A, calibration of the compass just worked.

The compass in on the bottom of the landing gear.
You'll see a small cover plate.
Are you stopping at 1.5 turns or going further?
I just do the vertical until it turns green

The compass in on the bottom of the landing gear.
You'll see a small cover plate.
Are you stopping at 1.5 turns or going further?
I just do the vertical until it turns green

Same, I stop and turn it face down when the lights go green after the horizontal circle...but they just flash red after I've done the vertical rotation. Is the compass in here??

IMG_4058.JPG

Which error message do you see?

So what am I supposed to do, wave a screwdriver near it and then try to calibrate the compass again?

So I waved a screwdriver around the compass cover - I haven't removed the cover, don't know if that matters or not...But I tried to calibrate outside again and still nothing...green solid light in the horizontal position, but red flashes at the end of the vertical turn. In the last image, where it says No attitude data, the little circle to the left was flashing all colors, blue, green, red, pink, yellow...

IMG_4059.PNG
IMG_4060.PNG
IMG_4061.PNG

The 'No Attitude Data' may mean that your IMU calibration wasn't successful....try doing that again (dead level surface), and the give the compass another go.
I'm not stating this as a fact, but it seems quite likely.

I tried another IMU calibration this morning, took the P3A outside and still no luck with the compass.

So, another four hour round trip to Melbourne to have them take a look at it. Tech did all the firmware upgrades and another IMU and compass was dead for him too, brand new out of the box. So at least I know it wasn't anything I did.

So, they replaced again, Phantom no.3 now...because I live so far away we thought it would be good to update everything while I was there, do the calibrations and check how it flies - this time all went smoothly. So hopefully third time lucky [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Καλλιστώ

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic