Anatomy of an Intro

Reaction score
I get lots of questions about my summer project, but they aren't about my awesome flying skills (have none), or genius color correction (still working on that too), everyone asks about my intro. I've had a lot of requests to do a tutorial on how to make one, but I'm still learning myself, and can't see doing it.

I'm making a new intro, and wondered if you guys would be interested in seeing the process. I'd love to hear your ideas on how to make it better. I have some really cool software, so we're only limited by our imagination. ;)

Here's a look at my first intro, I think most of you have seen it.
CityLogoSmall_zps56e22f74.jpg

And here's the concept for the new intro, which has an updated 3D Phantom Vision+
PHANTOMGrassSmall_zps31303b34.jpg

I know the first logical question is going to be where I get my models:
http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm?keyword=dji

The grass model is from the Element 3D starter pack, and the sky is some free HDRI I got off the internet. I will be happy to provide links to anything of interest upon request.

Of the two, Carl J, I prefer the second one. The first one implies that it is OK to fly among skyscrapers, and you don't really want to mislead noobies. In the second one, what happens next?

Great Pumpkin said:
Of the two, Carl J, I prefer the second one. The first one implies that it is OK to fly among skyscrapers, and you don't really want to mislead noobies. In the second one, what happens next?

The first intro was really inspired by my time here on the forums, and it's intent is really the opposite of telling people that flying among skyscrapers is okay. I wanted to present another method of getting that shot, an even better shot thru the use of CG, but your point is taken.

For the second intro I've taken the new model and fractured it into hundreds of parts that fly past the camera and assemble into the completed Phantom. This is all still very much in the planning stages so there is still a great deal to be done. I'm mulling the idea over of having the quad spin up and take off at the end.

NewIntro_zpsdc693384.jpg

PhantomFraced2_zps68b44cb1.jpg

NewIntroFin_zpsf68d4b7d.jpg

Great Pumpkin said:
That would be a cool intro, especially in front of the Tetons!

Is that what they are...the Tetons! Well they were the wrong color :lol:

I just wanted to give an update on the progress of the intro. I knew when I started the project that I wouldn't finish until the release of Element V2, and I always agonize over aspects of things that I like and things that I don't. One thing I didn't like was the flatness of the mountains, but I think I've found a solution.

It's rendered in V2, but the only advantage of that is the ray-traced ambient occlusion.

Mount_zps2c02e092.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20