An open Letter to DJI ( Please read)

Reaction score
As a corporate attorney I feel compelled to write this letter. In the last few days I had a very experienced multi copter friend loose a Phantom due to a "fly away" I just read of another forum friend who had the same experience yesterday. I HIGHLY suggest you make yourselves heard if you experienced a loss of total control with this unit. Yes, there are definitely problems associated with user error but there are just as many due to faulty hardware/ firmware etc. These fly aways are still a problem and DJI has not addressed this issue in a timely manner period.

My letter is as follows:

" These fly aways are pathetic! There are forums dedicated to fly aways with these phantoms and your company has done NOTHING to date to correct it! I'm a corporate attorney in the state of NJ and you have my word that If one of these fly aways results in damage or injury I will bankrupt your company in court! I am compiling all the anecdotal and forum data as well as names and numbers of people experiencing total loss of control.

Your dealers are dissuading people from using your latest firmware as its UNSTABLE. Yes, I'm sure there is some user error associated with these fly aways but many seasoned RC pilots are experiencing random, unexplained fly aways and a total loss of control! Your hardware/ software/ firmware is NOT functioning correctly PERIOD. Either get this under control ASAP and address your customers concerns or I promise you, you will be headed for a legal battle that will wipe you out financially. Do not view this as a threat, but a promissory letter of intent.

Below is a link to a thread. Do some reading for God sakes, in the meantime my flying friends and I will dissuade as many people as we can to steer VERY clear of your offerings!"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1872000

Here is a link to a thread I started at RC Groups. I would STRONGLY recommend you avoid that forum. They kicked the crap out of me. They are DJI user haters over there. I have a very complete video about my experience.

Here's the thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1955918

Here is a video documenting my flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LRwOeeHdlg

I also sent a letter to DJI - got no response, it's been almost a week.

If I can help, please let me know.

Darren

I just lost mine on saturday after upgrading the firmware. I've been flying it every day for three months with no issue, upgraded the firmware, went through all of the usual start up procedures, everything seemed fine, motors started, confirmed GPS home point, and throttled up to take off, it climbed uncontrollably until out of eyesight. tried to switch to atti from gps, switch to manual, switch controller off and on to trigger failsafe, nothing worked. Now I'm out 1100$ (phantom + camera), and anxiously hoping it didn't crash through somebodies car/hurt anybody wherever it landed.

CameraGuy said:
Here is a link to a thread I started at RC Groups. I would STRONGLY recommend you avoid that forum. They kicked the crap out of me. They are DJI user haters over there. I have a very complete video about my experience.

Here's the thread

Darren

Question, I watched your video and I was struck by the prop loss. I've crashed a few times and I've destroyed a few props. The fact that your prop nut came off and you found the prop lying nearby leads me to think your prop came loose, rose up the shaft and the motor effectively lost lift on that corner. You said it yourself in the video, you can hear the motor pitch change.

There's really no way or reason that the prop nut should have come loose.

Did you check the prop nuts prior to flight?

hidaven said:
As a corporate attorney I feel compelled to write this letter. In the last few days I had a very experienced multi copter friend loose a Phantom due to a "fly away" I just read of another forum friend who had the same experience yesterday. I HIGHLY suggest you make yourselves heard if you experienced a loss of total control with this unit. Yes, there are definitely problems associated with user error but there are just as many due to faulty hardware/ firmware etc. These fly aways are still a problem and DJI has not addressed this issue in a timely manner period.

My letter is as follows:

" These fly aways are pathetic! There are forums dedicated to fly aways with these phantoms and your company has done NOTHING to date to correct it! I'm a corporate attorney in the state of NJ and you have my word that If one of these fly aways results in damage or injury I will bankrupt your company in court! I am compiling all the anecdotal and forum data as well as names and numbers of people experiencing total loss of control.

Your dealers are dissuading people from using your latest firmware as its UNSTABLE. Yes, I'm sure there is some user error associated with these fly aways but many seasoned RC pilots are experiencing random, unexplained fly aways and a total loss of control! Your hardware/ software/ firmware is NOT functioning correctly PERIOD. Either get this under control ASAP and address your customers concerns or I promise you, you will be headed for a legal battle that will wipe you out financially. Do not view this as a threat, but a promissory letter of intent.

Below is a link to a thread. Do some reading for God sakes, in the meantime my flying friends and I will dissuade as many people as we can to steer VERY clear of your offerings!"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1872000
You're an attorney? Are you sure?

I just think your letter would be more effective if it were more professional and used far fewer exclamation points. Are you sure they have done nothing to correct it? I'm pretty sure, in the past few months, they have had several firmware updates. I guess it is possible those updates had nothing to do with the issue, but you must be a pretty fantastic lawyer to know that as fact.

You think you are powerful enough to bankrupt them with a lawsuit? You don't think they have insurance? Real airplanes have malfunctioned and hundreds of people died, yet no attorney has been able to bankrupt Airbus or Boeing. Or, at least not yet.

Alex said:
Question, I watched your video and I was struck by the prop loss. I've crashed a few times and I've destroyed a few props. The fact that your prop nut came off and you found the prop lying nearby leads me to think your prop came loose, rose up the shaft and the motor effectively lost lift on that corner. You said it yourself in the video, you can hear the motor pitch change.

I have to agree, those props aren't keyed like the stock one's, so if the nut came loose, then the erratic behavior the quad was expressing makes sense. That in no way would be considered a flyaway.... My bad never watched the video the first time around, just assumed it would have been a typical runaway flight.

hidaven said:
I'm a corporate attorney in the state of NJ and you have my word that If one of these fly aways results in damage or injury I will bankrupt your company in court! I am compiling all the anecdotal and forum data as well as names and numbers of people experiencing total loss of control.

One reason I love attorneys is that attitude, all they want is to help everyone by trying to sue everyone for everything they have. And this is only to make everything safer for everyone, they are such kind and loving people :). Its not at all to give them a huge commission while making everyone suffer by forcing ridiculous insurance policies and simply banning most activities. Just in case some thoughtful lawyer wants to save us all by robbing us blind while forcing even more insurance and government regulations for anything we may want to do.

Not that that would happen in this case as its a rc toy and clearly stated for people to not rely entirely on the gps mode. There is no guarantee given saying it wont ever fly away on you, most are user error but at times there are faults with hardware and software. Some may be an issue for the manufacturer but most is simple user responsibility to know their own flying abilities and properly maintain the craft. Worst case scenario if there is an issue and causes a crash that is proven to be 100% fault of DJI they would be responsible for some or all damages incurred in that case and nothing more so please go chase ambulances or something and let us enjoy our hobby without your greed ruining it for everyone.

Did I say I love attorneys? Maybe I was just being sarcastic as Im sure the world would work much better without them as I am yet to see a use for any of them. People should simply learn to accept responsibility for their own actions. This American lawsuit sickness is what makes everything so expensive as we all get charged higher prices for everything, anything with the slightest risk needs such huge insurance policies to help pay these greedy lawyers just in case they see an opportunity to make some money. The onky ones that benefit are the lawyers and insurance companies while everyone else just ends up being screwed over in the process.

Thanks but no thanks and just stay out of this, go and find some honest way to earn a dollar rather then stealing from everyone and ruining our hobby ok.

+1

This guy was outed on rcgroups too. One post in each forum, then move on. He's efficient but not scoring any points with us.

:?
BruceTS said:
Alex said:

I have to agree, those props aren't keyed like the stock one's, so if the nut came loose, then the erratic behavior the quad was expressing makes sense. That in no way would be considered a flyaway.... My bad never watched the video the first time around, just assumed it would have been a typical runaway flight.

BruceTS said:
Alex said:

Ok, so I'm not crazy, I figured others would have seen that. In my mind, the fact that the nut is missing is the key to the crash. There's no way the Naza would be able to understand let alone compensate for losing a prop.

Basically, the preflight check wasn't thorough enough, at least he got it back.

Ok, so I'm not crazy, I figured others would have seen that. In my mind, the fact that the nut is missing is the key to the crash. There's no way the Naza would be able to understand let alone compensate for losing a prop.

The first time I saw the video it was apparent that the missing prop nut was the cause of the crash. But the OP had just accused me of attacking him on another thread, so I thought it wise to remain quiet. I felt anyone viewing the video would realize the cause of the "fly away" and that the video would never go viral.

It was a fitting title though; "Anatomy of a Fly Away"

Alex said:

kept replaying the footage and even posted in rcgroups to toss your thoughts around, one person who is experienced at losing props, thinks it's not what caused the problem. After endless replays. The prop could have came off during the crash and was not loose. Reason it was a clockwise rotation and if the nut did loosen, would quickly fly off. The sudden impact could cause this. What gets me it the erratic flight of the Phantom, most flyaways reported, it just suddenly took off in one direction and was never seen again.

Watching how he went straight up reminded me of mine when I lost Tx signal aprox 100 ft high. I'm surprised he didn't bother to turn Tx back on and attempt to regain control in attitude mode when it was across the street, seem like plenty of time to try.

Still trying to figure out the odd behavior, which almost appears to be in a TBE. With the latest firmware update mine is experiencing this, but I've been too busy to do an advance calibration to double check.

I find it hard to believe that crash impact can loosen a nut, unscrew it, and lift the prop, all in one fell swoop AFTER impact?

In all my years of flying RC planes, I've broken hundreds of props in crashes, but never once had a crash loosen my prop nut, remove it and remove the prop.

I believe several people have had problems with some after market props loosening the prop nuts, thus requiring locking prop nuts to keep the propellers secure?

BruceTS said:
Alex said:

kept replaying the footage and even posted in rcgroups to toss your thoughts around, one person who is experienced at losing props, thinks it's not what caused the problem. After endless replays. The prop could have came off during the crash and was not loose. Reason it was a clockwise rotation and if the nut did loosen, would quickly fly off. The sudden impact could cause this. What gets me it the erratic flight of the Phantom, most flyaways reported, it just suddenly took off in one direction and was never seen again.

Watching how he went straight up reminded me of mine when I lost Tx signal aprox 100 ft high. I'm surprised he didn't bother to turn Tx back on and attempt to regain control in attitude mode when it was across the street, seem like plenty of time to try.

Still trying to figure out the odd behavior, which almost appears to be in a TBE. With the latest firmware update mine is experiencing this, but I've been too busy to do an advance calibration to double check.

The question is really, was the prop keyed like the stock prop. If so, then I don't see how it could possibly have unscrewed. Also what was the condition of the prop. He sad it was found nearby. It would have been readily apparent if the prop hit something or if it came loose midflight.

Alex said:
The question is really, was the prop keyed like the stock prop. If so, then I don't see how it could possibly have unscrewed. Also what was the condition of the prop. He sad it was found nearby. It would have been readily apparent if the prop hit something or if it came loose midflight.

No those props aren't keyed and also need to be reamed out to fit. Yea that video still bugs me, because it still seems like something came loose. You can hear the one motor wind up after the crash, most likely the one with the missing prop. Because all the threads are clockwise rotation to tighten, the props turning that direction have a greater chance of loosing a nut, especially when your not using keyed props. Unless Loctite was used, then the nut wasn't tight enough and the prop was spinning on the shaft, so as to not allow the nut to fly off so quickly, I guess that is a possibility. Just brainstorming trying to figure this one out.

GoodnNuff said:
I find it hard to believe that crash impact can loosen a nut, unscrew it, and lift the prop, all in one fell swoop AFTER impact?

In all my years of flying RC planes, I've broken hundreds of props in crashes, but never once had a crash loosen my prop nut, remove it and remove the prop.

I believe several people have had problems with some after market props loosening the prop nuts, thus requiring locking prop nuts to keep the propellers secure?

Exactly.

Alex said:
CameraGuy said:

Here's the thread

Darren

Yes, I checked that out.

The loss of control happened about 30 seconds before it hit the tree,, which is when the prop came off, and the prop nut went missing.

All the nuts were tight when it left the ground last week.

Darren

CameraGuy said:
Alex said:
CameraGuy said:

Here's the thread

Darren

Yes, I checked that out.

The loss of control happened about 30 seconds before it hit the tree,, which is when the prop came off, and the prop nut went missing.

All the nuts were tight when it left the ground last week.

Darren

Bizarre. Can you post a picture of the prop? Was it trashed?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik