An FC450?

Reaction score
Well, I've done it now. I ordered an F450 quad frame and completely disassembled my FC40. I'm going to transfer everything onto the new frame. The top will be clean, so I will put the GPS antenna on top of a spray can lid or something like that, and cover it somehow to protect it. Unless I can find a longer cable for it (4 wires) and buy a stalk.

I'll have to replace the power wires to the ESCs, since each arm is 1 1/4" longer than the FC40 arms. This is the main reason I decided to do this, to gain more stability. I thought the new arms would be longer.

Mounting the antennas and compass will present some challenges, unless I use landing gear similar the what the FC40 uses. I was hoping to extend the landing gear at the ends of the arms.

I don't know what to call it, though. An FC450, maybe?

Eventually, I want to change the flight controller to an Ardu

Attachments

• FC450.JPG
    FC450.JPG
    645.5 KB · Views: 561
Exiting rebuild.

Did you order the Dji F450 kit with escs and motors?

Will follow this thread, i hope you will update as you build! :)

Oyvind

I was thinking about doing this some day as well, only with the e300 esc/motors/props kit. Wasn't sure how many parts would transfer over to the f450 frame though so I've just been trying to read up on it until then. Be sure to keep us updated if you can and let us know how it goes.

My plan is to just use the FC40 parts on an F450 frame.Since my post, I have discovered a wrinkle or two.

The F450 frame weighs 275 grams versus 110 grams for the C40 shell, so I will lose some lift.

A friend may be interested in buying my FC40. If he decides to buy it, I'll reassemble it, sell it to him and use the money to buy parts for a hex.

FWIW, if anyone wants to upgrade the motors on their FC40, a set of 4 E300 motors with matching ESCs and props are here.

Their shipping is high, you might look for them on Amazon, too

http://www.empirerc.com/dji-e300-tuned-propulsion-system-for-quadcopters-p-7872.html

You can buy kits with a frame, motors, props and ESCs only, but they are higher than buying the frame and propulsion system separately. You can buy kits with all of that and Naza lite, too.I've seen F550 hex kits for $399. Genuine DJI parts.

Amazon sells scads of cheap knockoff kits with other flight controllers, too.

IF anyone is interested in building an F450 or F550, PM me.

Hold up.. You can build your own F550 for $400 (About £350)? Or just part of it?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl