An Aussie question

Reaction score
What is a 'dumpy glow' ?

The question relates to a UK guy convicted of starting a bushfire. He'd been in AUS for 50 years, but was still a UK national- so he's liable to get deported.

Generally it is reported that his action was malicious- but one AUS news report states that- 'he was convicted of starting a dumpy glow'. (Google that phrase and it will bring up the report)

I've scoured the net- nothing. I think it may have Aboriginal roots. Any thoughts guys?

I know what a dump is and what a glow is but I can't put them together, some strange things from down under in the outback. Let us know what you find. He must have lit something on fire.

Thanks RV. I have a suspicion it means something like throwing a cigarette without care- causing a bit of ground to smolder. (At first! )

I have no idea what a 'dumpy glow' is and after 52 years in Australia this is the first time I've heard the expression.
I think it is something entirely different that has been lost in translation.The writer of the story,Trang Chu,obviously has a very poor understanding of the English language.That story was very difficult to read.
There's two meanings of dump here,to dump something or to take something to the dump means getting rid of rubbish/garbage and to take a dump,do you really want me to describe that,I'll leave that to Jim,see video below.

It could be said that I have set a dumpy glow I suppose,as when travelling in the outback desert regions if you take a dump you must do it into a hole in the ground and then burn the evidence (it's not illeagal) because dingo's will dig it up in the night,then the dunny paper blows away and the desert ends up strewn with dunny paper.
A full tutorial:

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod and discv
Thanks PTCX. So maybe the phrase has no AUS/Aboriginal origin- it is a mistranslation of a Chinese term.

It's got a DJI Chinenglish ring to it- Dumpy Glow! ( A flyaway on fire!)

I'm as near to a solution as I will ever be. The phrase 'dumpy glow' is no more than an offering from Vietnamese translation software.
It translates the word 'fire' to 'glow'. Fire Crew becomes Glow Crew.
The input phrase would have been bush/forest/grassland etc. followed by 'fire' (e.g. bushfire)
Just left trying to figure a link from 'dumpy'

Aha!,that starts to make some sense then.
Good find.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1