Amplification

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i see questions being asked over and over a lot, and am hoping my question has not been asked to many times.
As i understand it i can amplify my transmitter that uses 5.8 ghz frequency using a 5.8 ghz amplifier.
I read that the power giving out from the transmitter is CE = 25mw (14dbm) and FCC = 126mw (21dbm).
I also read from a description in a youtube video who has done a similar modification, that having the transmitter set to fcc mode is to much power for the amp.
I am trying to learn about amplifier and how they work with antennas.
So how much is 1 watt of power amplification to to a transmitter?
What do i need to know for me to figure these calculations out on my own?
Would i need a attenuator?

Also would there be any interference from my antennas connected to my 2.4ghz amp on my range extender and a 5.8 ghz amp.

Thanks

I don't know alot about the amplifiers i am using but i have run the 2.4ghz amplifiers straight off the repeater (no attentuator) without any issues and as for the 5.8ghz amplifier i set the transmitter to ce mode just to be safe

What are you trying to do?
Extend range or video feed ?
If you put the control in ce mode you won't need the attenuator
But why are you trying to amplify the 5.8 side ?
Do you have wifi feed to the end of you control limit?

mr_3_0_5 said:
What are you trying to do?
Extend range or video feed ?
If you put the control in ce mode you won't need the attenuator
But why are you trying to amplify the 5.8 side ?
Do you have wifi feed to the end of you control limit?

I already have the range extended for fpv, minus some antenna ive planning on getting.
I want to modify the transmitter (remote control 5.8 ghz) so that it has more power.
The thing is i would rather be safe then sorry. Also i live in the woods and i am always afraid of flying past where the trees start into the forest as i am worried the connection to my phantom will get lost between those trees since i am only and ground level. and flying past those trees would cause interference.

Am i correct to think so? Or should i not be worried about flying to far past the tree line?
Would increasing the power to the transmitter help?
Either way i would love to take some video of a couple bridges and the last thing i would need is for me not to have enough power or worry about the connection breaking for any reason, as i want full control.

A second question would be is if anyone knows what the radiation pattern or antenna signal the range extender has?
I want to know cause im want to know how my fpv would be with only one standard range extender antenna only, and where the antenna points to the most.

GodsCreat0r said:
Hey everyone, i see questions being asked over and over a lot, and am hoping my question has not been asked to many times.
As i understand it i can amplify my transmitter that uses 5.8 ghz frequency using a 5.8 ghz amplifier.
I read that the power giving out from the transmitter is CE = 25mw (14dbm) and FCC = 126mw (21dbm).
I also read from a description in a youtube video who has done a similar modification, that having the transmitter set to fcc mode is to much power for the amp.

Also would there be any interference from my antennas connected to my 2.4ghz amp on my range extender and a 5.8 ghz amp.

Thanks

You can use a 5.8ghz 1watt Sunhans amp but you will either need to have your RC in CE mode or FCC using at least a 4dbi attenuator 6 may be better

BenDronePilot said:
GodsCreat0r said:

Thanks

You can use a 5.8ghz 1watt Sunhans amp but you will either need to have your RC in CE mode or FCC using at least a 4dbi attenuator 6 may be better

If one "turns down" the 5.8ghz power using the POT on the back of the controller won't this be the same as adding an attenuator?

Thanks BenDrone.

I am trying to get a more in depth of a answer for my question so i understand how it works and what is going on, Can someone who is technically inclined please explain what i need to know.

I found a 2w amp witch is a bit more easy to find then the 1 watt, it is also about $10 cheaper.
The attenuator i have is 2w and i looked online for a 1w but nothing at first glance.
Can i use a 2w attenuator with a 1 watt amp?

If there is any good reference material, please post some links, i dont want the answers only, i want the answers with explanations.

Thanks

Wel. If your using the stock range extender then there is no way your outflying the control signal
In stock form the wifi or 2.4ghz will reach about 1000 ft
While the 5.8 or control signal will reach 4000 or more
So I still don't get what your trying to do
You can boost the 5.8 by simply adding an amp to it
The reason the attenuator gets mentioned is because in FCC mode it's a little more power then what is optimal for the input of the amp
But in CE mode it would be perfect to just add an amp
If you went beyond the tree line you speak of and lost control signal then it would just RTH
More then likely you are going to lose Fpv or wifi signal before control signal
So how have you extended the wifi side to reach the control signal max ?

I would also love to know what beam width we are getting out of the stock repeater

GodsCreat0r said:

Interestingly there's a conflict here. The certification sticker on the back of the Tx says 11dBm...
I've measured several TX and the highest I've seen in FCC mode is 15dBm out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj