Ammo Box's and Lipo Battery

Reaction score
I am wondering with a 50 Cal Ammo box, do you take out the seal or leave the seal in? I saw a video on YouTube. That says to take the seal out because it could cause a lot of damage. So I'm asking which way to do it.

Sent from my Leap using PhantomPilots mobile app

There are 3 camps about this:

A) Remove the seal so you don't build pressure should the LIPO self destruct
B) Leave the seal so you don't release noxious fumes into a living space should the LiPo self destruct
C) Dont' sweat the SMART batteries because they are MUCH more reliable (and safe) than standard "dumb" LiPo.

Other than crash damage most LiPo are damaged either by over charging, over discharging or charging with wrong charger settings. With the DJI Smart Batteries you remove most of these factors from the equation.

My "dumb" LiPo are stored/charged on a concrete floor inside CMU (concrete block) with ziploc bags filled with sand over each one. My DJI batteries are stored either in the Phantom3Pro case or on the kitchen counter when they are charging.

Many folks use these or bags during charging, is that your concern?

Other than that there is no need for it and then I question it as they should be supervised during charging.

My local brick and mortar hobby store has over a hundred batteries on the shelf out front and more in the back. No special storage and you don't hear of hobby stores erupting in flames.

Edit:
Let me add that I do not critique those who may take extra measures to store their LiPos as peace of mind is priceless. Just adding a little perspective.

I do not have any special storage set-up and DO keep my LiPos in sight while charging

Last edited:
Reactions: FrequentFlyer
I leave mine in the cases haven't really heard to much on dji battery blowing up only getting puffy sometimes

I have my smart batteries I'm lipo bags, but I will also be getting multistar batteries to extend my time. So those are what I am going to put into the ammo box. And I have seen all three camps and not sure what to say about it, people that say leave the seal in then you cut the air down so there is hardly any o2 to keep the fire going

I have my smart batteries I'm lipo bags, but I will also be getting multistar batteries to extend my time. So those are what I am going to put into the ammo box. And I have seen all three camps and not sure what to say about it, people that say leave the seal in then you cut the air down so there is hardly any o2 to keep the fire going

LiPo fire is very difficult because it has an oxidizer built into it. I use sands bags to help slow things down but even that won't extinguish/suffocate the fire. And the fumes... OMG the fumes!!

LiPo fire is very difficult because it has an oxidizer built into it. I use sands bags to help slow things down but even that won't extinguish/suffocate the fire. And the fumes... OMG the fumes!!
Yeah I heard the fumes were bad, at least my wife doesn't read this. Lol if she did Oh boy would I be in the dog house. I think it's her being a nurse and having 2 kids.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20