Ammo box for storing p3a batteries

Many folks use them especially during charging.
I don't.

My local brick-n-mortar has hundreds of LiPos in the store.
No special storage there either.

Reactions: BigAl07
My gut is that putting a battery it a very sealed metal box is a great way to make a fire which might not need any outside air even more dangerous. If you watch videos of lipo batteries going bad there is a ton of energy and putting that in a sealed metal box....has there been testing of a failed lipo in a ammo box? what happens?

I guess a little trip on youtube is in my schedul today.Sound like putting those lipo in that box could be a time bomb more then a safe way to store it haha.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using PhantomPilots mobile app

As far as the ammo box being sealed...just remove the seal. I went to a garage sale a few weeks ago and bought a couple of metal index file card boxes for a few bucks. I have 3 P1s and 11 various batteries. I just feel safer when they are in a metal box although I don't lose any sleep on the issue. I am more concerned when they are being charged.

I'll UOTE="flyinghost, post: 892141, member: 68850"]Monte55 Do you put them in the box while charging them?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using PhantomPilots mobile app[/QUOTE]
I'll put the battery in a ss dog dish while charging. If I can't be within sight I'll put another dish on top. I will never charge a battery laying next to others just in case.

I don't know if one battery catching on fire can set off others near it but if the fire burns off the insulation of
another battery and the leads short out, I think that would be a problem

I don't know if one battery catching on fire can set off others near it but if the fire burns off the insulation of
another battery and the leads short out, I think that would be a problem
Since any LiPo can have a "run away" cell that would in turn ignite the next cell in series I could fully see how one sitting beside another "could" cause the same chain reaction.

I'm probably a bit over protective but I don't store mine together and I sure don't charge them side-by-side. Even when I'm using my 3-way charger I space them way far apart just to be safe.

IQUOTE="BigAl07, post: 892174, member: 20335"]Since any LiPo can have a "run away" cell that would in turn ignite the next cell in series I could fully see how one sitting beside another "could" cause the same chain reaction.

I'm probably a bit over protective but I don't store mine together and I sure don't charge them side-by-side. Even when I'm using my 3-way charger I space them way far apart just to be safe.[/QUOTE]
Im not crazy about this, just careful. I will not risk having a fire just being lazy. Safety is easy. Normally I would never leave my battery on the charger if gone. But if I leave for thirty minutes or so and leave them charging, they will be inside a metal enclosure. Makes me feel better. Plus, I would never put my dogs at risk for being irresponsible.

I watched a Creative Live class (23 lessons ~ $69) on flying drones and aerial photography and some of the instructors carried their batteries in ammo boxes. One guy had some $15K drone with a Canon 5DIII and 24mm lens and was remarkably stable even in the 25MPH gusts in the S.F. Bay area.

Now I want one - his drone that is!

Mack

Lots of good tips here haha.Well i will look around not sure yet since keeping them together seem dangerous but better then not lol.Being a noob at this is confusing hahaha

Sent from my SM-N9005 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31