Amendment to approved 333 to add another Quad

Maybe you have the needed experience and skills to do everything correctly but I can assure you that this is not the case often times. So many people buy and fly with no idea of any other rules/methods etc needed to fly safely. Many people don't have a clue how far away they are from an airport and worse yet have no clue how to find out. Anyway I'm now talking in circles.

I'm confident that once you get your PL you'll see things at least a little bit differently in regards to Aeronautical training and testing.

I've been flying UAS for 41 years last month so I fully understand the "skill set" difference between manned flight and unmanned flight. What I was trying to stress was that the FAA didn't mandate the Pilot License requirement they were tasked with creating whatever is needed to accomplish meeting the Airman Certificate requirement.

Reactions: HawkeyeImaging
the pilot license is a bit excessive however it opened my eyes considerably and i believe a lot that goes with it makes sense.... reading weather, understanding checklists, fly or no fly, understanding risks of flying in airspaces and who you are flying very close to.... can't simply read and get that experience... there probably should be a watered down version... i agree. but it does keep a lot of crazy people from flying commercially so thats good.

So has them raising the max altitude from 200 ft to 400 ft....and guess what...that just happened!
Yes, changes like this are most certainly welcomed. Do you think a lot of people are doing commercial work above 200 ft though? It seems like more would have benefited by getting the new SUAS rules out.

Yes, changes like this are most certainly welcomed. Do you think a lot of people are doing commercial work above 200 ft though? It seems like more would have benefited by getting the new SUAS rules out.
Yes they are. Mine is done consistently at 300 ft. Regardless the PL rule is going away. Even the FAA knows that is stopping this industry and will continue to stop this industry from growing! I'm taking bets on this if anyone is interested!

Regardless the PL rule is going away.
Ah, we're back to that again ;)

This law will most likely never be changed. A PL will always be required for commercial work. I'm pretty sure the FAA wants to keep it that way so they can pull it if they don't like what someone is doing.

Do your research. The rough draft of the NEW RULES are online....no PL required anymore!! You're spreading false hope to people looking to get into the industry and don't have a PL. Well..by the end of this year there will be no need for it!!
Bets???

Dno PL required anymore!! You're spreading false hope to people looking to get into the industry and don't have a PL.
I'm attempting to spread great joy -- as many are eagerly waiting for these new rules to be released. The FAA is going to create a new "unmanned aircraft operator certificate" that can be used in place of one of the existing manned certificates (or PLs as you like to call them). That'll make it much easier for most people to fly SUAS commercially. The certificate requirement is not going away though. You are mistaken.

You should really take some time to read the full NPRM. It clearly states what I've been trying to tell you.

Nothing in there about "Operator's" having to have a Pilots License!! Now , I agree that a written test to show basic knowledge is a good thing..but not having a Pilots License is even better! Bottom line.."AGAIN" to fly a drone commercially you WILL NOT HAVE TO HAVE AN ACTUAL PILOT'S LICENSE ONCE THE NEW RULES ARE DONE!!! No where does it say you will!

The "unmanned aircraft operator certificate" is an actual pilot certificate/license. And, there is a US law that says a certificate is required. It's really that easy.

You're so wrong!! One of the biggest arguments about the whole drone industry has been the PL requirement. That is going away!!! Go back and read page 55! It lists the REQUIREMENTS for operation after the law changes! Show me where it says a Pilots License/Certificate will still be mandatory!!! I'll be waiting because it really is that easy!!!

From Page 58:

Under the FAA’s micro UAS approach, the operator of a micro UAS also would be able to operate using a UAS airman certificate with a different rating (an unmanned aircraft operator certificate with a micro UAS rating) than the airman certificate that would be created by proposed part 107.

No knowledge test would be required in order to obtain an unmanned aircraft operator certificate with a micro UAS rating; instead, the applicant would simply submit a signed statement to the FAA stating that he or she has familiarized him or herself with all of the areas of knowledge that are tested on the initial aeronautical knowledge test that is proposed under part 107.

Under the FAA’s micro UAS approach, the operator of a micro UAS also would be able to operate using a UAS airman certificate with a different rating (an unmanned aircraft operator certificate with a micro UAS rating) than the airman certificate that would be created by proposed part 107.
As you can see, this is saying you'll still need a certificate/PL. The main differences is that it'll be much easier to obtain and it can only be used to fly certain SUASs.

No worries though. I know all of this is very confusing. The FAA doesn't always state things very clearly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1