Ambient weather conditions aloft

Reaction score
I can get a pretty good indication of wind speed and direction by putting the right-hand toggle switch to the centre position and let the phantom drift for a bit. I also get a rough indication of altitude, all part of the Phantom information to phone or tablet.

Does anyone know of a small lightweight ambient temperature, pressure and humidity sensor/transmitter that would give information at altitude?

I've considered the cheap remote sensors with indoor readouts that give information around your home, but the sensor/transmitter is too big and I don't know if they would have the range especially up at 300 or 400 meters.
I suppose a sensor system that could write to a small memory and then be downloaded later would be almost as good however it would require some notetaking while flying.
I've had a couple flights where the plastic parts, particularly the propellers are very very cold when I land, even on reasonably warm summer days. I know the weather can be way different at altitude from what's on the ground and it would be just kind of fun to know that information. In my mind the sensor needs to be about the size of the compass sensor or maybe a little bit longer to accommodate a battery.
I've also had my Phantom start to blow away at altitude because the winds were faster than the phantoms top speed. So I quickly bring it down to lower altitude so that it has a chance to fly back to me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I can't help much with the sensor you are seeking... maybe try Davis? They make nice weather stations (I use one).
Also, while it isn't exactly "real time" this site shows wind and is easy on the eyes too - Windytv, wind forecast

Here you can see a tropical storm way off the East coast...

Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 11.43.29 AM☀️.png

I can get a pretty good indication of wind speed and direction by putting the right-hand toggle switch to the centre position and let the phantom drift for a bit. I also get a rough indication of altitude, all part of the Phantom information to phone or tablet.

Does anyone know of a small lightweight ambient temperature, pressure and humidity sensor/transmitter that would give information at altitude?

I've considered the cheap remote sensors with indoor readouts that give information around your home, but the sensor/transmitter is too big and I don't know if they would have the range especially up at 300 or 400 meters.
I suppose a sensor system that could write to a small memory and then be downloaded later would be almost as good however it would require some notetaking while flying.
I've had a couple flights where the plastic parts, particularly the propellers are very very cold when I land, even on reasonably warm summer days. I know the weather can be way different at altitude from what's on the ground and it would be just kind of fun to know that information. In my mind the sensor needs to be about the size of the compass sensor or maybe a little bit longer to accommodate a battery.
I've also had my Phantom start to blow away at altitude because the winds were faster than the phantoms top speed. So I quickly bring it down to lower altitude so that it has a chance to fly back to me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
How high are you flying? The temp is not going to change much at 500 feet or even 2500 but the winds can be much different.

Reactions: Falcon900

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers