Ambient temps

Reaction score
So I have a question: seeing as how I live in **** near the hottest place in the US (Vegas) and summer is coming, what are the realities of flying in the desert? I mean just this week it was 104 in the shade out by Apex Summit and it's only going to get even hotter.

Anyone with practical experience on this topic?

Bottom line is if you are uncomfortable, your bird probably is too. Most obvious effect will likely be on your batteries. They actuall dislike heat more than cold! Keep them in the air conditioning or perhaps a cooler until you are ready to fly. They'll heat up rapidly, and you will probably see a reduction in flight times. Hot air is also less dense, so the bird has to work harder to stay airborne. Shouldn't cause any damage to the electronics, but tablets have been known to crap out if they get too hot.

Thank you Richard R. I did see the iPad heating up to the point where it shut off after 10 mins in one location.

Thank you Richard R. I did see the iPad heating up to the point where it shut off after 10 mins in one location.
My iPad mini 2 overheats in temps above 90F, so I will fly from inside the car with the air conditioner running. My iPad Air2 works better in heat because if the more efficient A8 CPU. Make sure to fly without a case on the iPad to maximize cooling.

FYI, the DJI temp rating for Phantoms go up to 104°F, so I don't fly beyond that temp.

The mini 4 is also an A8. So I'll try the car thing.

The thing is that 104 is realistically about 75-80 in the shade. That why I asked about the numbers. And that number seems really low consider that direct sunlight is always a much much hotter.

The mini 4 is also an A8. So I'll try the car thing.

The thing is that 104 is realistically about 75-80 in the shade. That why I asked about the numbers. And that number seems really low consider that direct sunlight is always a much much hotter.
That's not true. A reported 104 temp is the air temp, in the shade when there's no wind. Temperatures assume shade in order to report accurate and consistent air temperatures. In direct sun a thermometer will report way higher temps than actual air temps, as well as inconsistencies in reporting depending on the angle to the sun. That's why A7 iPads puke in direct sunlight in temps above 90F, because they bake in the sunshine, resulting in higher temps than the actual air temp, even when turned off. Just leave an iPad sitting in direct sunlight on a 100F sunny day, and then try to pick it up 30min later. Ouch!

I agree what you said about the iPad. Yes. OUCH. But was more concerned about temps in direct sun when it comes to the aircraft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan