Amazing 360x180 P3P Panoramic from 500ft above my house

sweet !!!!

Was just thinking - isn't there an obvious SDK opportunity here? Does anyone know if with the new SDK a "script" could be written to move the P3 to a particular spot & altitude, position the gimbal, take a series or burst of pictures while rotating, move the gimbal, down, repeat, etc. That would be exactly what I did but would use the higher res stills and be precisely controlled for an exact overlap of pics. Also would be incredibly efficient in terms of time and number of shots. Heck I could see with such automation the shots necessary to do what I did but better be performed in less than a minute.

Heck, people would PAY for an app that did this....

DOM

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

No question that the final product looks great! However, since the 4K camera has a 94° field of view horizontally, to cover 360°, you only need 4 images with 4° of overlap each to cover it, not 60. Take 6 and you'll have 30° of overlap, which should be plenty. For the vertical 120°, take 3 or 4 because of the HD narrow frame top to bottom with plenty of overlap. More isn't better, once you have enough to stitch the edges together. It's just redundant. You aren't creating a super high pixel count wide angle view by stitching 5° FOV 400mm telephoto frames together. Instead, these are all 20mm equivalent frame images, which don't gain resolution, but only gain increased field of view from 94° to 360° and covers the full 120° of the gimbal elevation range. Those needed 12 jpeg frames should only take a minute to shoot in 3 rows of 4 images as you rotate 60° per frame, at each of the three gimbal elevations of straight down, 60° up from there, and 120° up from there. The post work will also be reduced by 95%. :cool: More time to shoot more of these stellar creations! Can't wait to try one myself, now that I realize how easy the shooting is, and that only 12 images need to be stitched together in post to create the same results!

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read the method. The result is awesome. I have seen some other stitching with PTGui, and is does a great job. I will have to give this a try with PSCC using the stills method. If weather is good tonight, I will at least capture the photos.

if you guys do this with stills i would love to see your results...

I did these 2 panoramas using a P2V+ taking about 20 photos (every 45 degrees and then tilted half-way down every 45 degrees and one final shot pointing straight down). Stitched together automatically using PanoramaStudio:
http://dronealps.com/portfolio/le-tour-360/
http://dronealps.com/portfolio/morzine-360/
(find and click "View on Google Maps" to go full screen)
I love Proof of Concepts! It works! Thanks for sharing yours, and establishing that Google Maps will do the heavy lifting with the necessary files!

Once you had the panorama stitched, what else did you need to do, to create the interactive embedded viewer on your webpage, along with the Google Maps viewing capability?

Think I found you in the second one:
image.jpg

Was just thinking - isn't there an obvious SDK opportunity here? Does anyone know if with the new SDK a "script" could be written to move the P3 to a particular spot & altitude, position the gimbal, take a series or burst of pictures while rotating, move the gimbal, down, repeat, etc. That would be exactly what I did but would use the higher res stills and be precisely controlled for an exact overlap of pics. Also would be incredibly efficient in terms of time and number of shots. Heck I could see with such automation the shots necessary to do what I did but better be performed in less than a minute.

Heck, people would PAY for an app that did this....

DOM
+1!

Reactions: rowdyjim
I love Proof of Concepts! It works! Thanks for sharing yours, and establishing that Google Maps will do the heavy lifting with the necessary files!

Once you had the panorama stitched, what else did you need to do, to create the interactive embedded viewer on your webpage, along with the Google Maps viewing capability?

I exported the entire panorama as a single JPG and uploaded it to Google (I think via one of their official panorama/photo apps for Google Maps). Then I could click "share" to get the embed code for my site.

I exported the entire panorama as a single JPG and uploaded it to Google (I think via one of their official panorama/photo apps for Google Maps). Then I could click "share" to get the embed code for my site.

awesome, thanks for the google details...

i will be flying this evening, capturing photos;)

Awesome! Any links or suggestions on where to find the official Google panorama/photo apps for Google Maps to use for the uploading of the entire panorama to Google?

- UPDATE -

Had a break in the weather here so based on suggestions from this thread I went up again and did a "redo" using only stills snapped with the camera instead of taking video and extracting the frames. I went a little crazy taking a couple hundred photos but was easy.

New version using 4,000 x 3,000 pixel camera shots
http://theitalianpalace.com/tipv2/tip360v2.htm

I am not going to give my opinion on which one I think looks better - want to see what everyone thinks. I am convinced however we need an "app for that" via the API to do this automatically.

Original version using 3840 x 2160 extracted movie frames
http://theitalianpalace.com/tip360.htm

Interesting observation - the final jpg for the new version is roughly the same size as the original despite the fact that the camera only pics are higher resolution each.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmjax
Holly Cow!
So great! Muolto Bello!!

It reminds me when i hack my previous Samsung III, with the SphereMode from S4...lolol
P.S - There is a oficial site where you can upload the spherephotos...maybe you can try use it!

I tried to upload to google but it said "Upload failed: Image too big". The JPG is 24mb. What size was yours?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik