AMA Recommends Members To Not Register Until Deadline

Because GG implies that the owner of a drone operated prior to December 21 doesn't have to register by February 19 but rather anytime after February 19 as long as he is registered prior to the next flight. That is incorrect. As I said in my original post, I have no idea how FAA would enforce this but it is the plain language of the regulation.
In his scenario the FAA would have no knowledge of him owning a UAV, maybe it was inoperable, maybe he just bought it used. If he doesn't fly till it's registered I can't see how it would be an issue but hey, I could be wrong.

I repeat FAA > AMA. They don't give a **** about your AMA number. Isn't that obvious by now?
ATTENTION EVERYONE - Please dial it back a couple notches. Agree to disagree instead of engaging in a fruitless argument. Constructive input is welcome but keep it friendly. Thanks. ;)

In his scenario the FAA would have no knowledge of him owning a UAV, maybe it was inoperable, maybe he just bought it used. If he doesn't fly till it's registered I can't see how it would be an issue but hey, I could be wrong.

As I said, I have no idea how FAA could enforce the reg but that's what it says.

I don't want to start a speculation game about scenarios but according to the reg, if the current owner has a UAS which he FLEW prior to December 21, 2015 he must register prior to February 19. But, to use your example,if a person bought his only hobby UAS either used or broken prior to December 21, and finally made his first flight May 16, 2016 he doesn't have to register until just before that first flight.

No disrespect intended but I believe we are trying to give Phantompilots members the best information in the clearest way possible so they can make an informed decision.

It's a very bold move. So bold, it could be fatal. The FAA will rebuke the AMA over this. They are persona non grata from now on.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Again, you are spreading misinformation.
You seem to be under the impression that as a drone pilot, you are going to be forced to join the AMA and fly by their rules regardless of your flying location.

There are no "AMA Clubs." There are independent clubs across the nation which are sanctioned by the AMA.
I'll ask you to kindly to stop trying to read my mind, and stop making up BS out of whole cloth so you can attribute it to me. You are the one spreading misinformation about me at every opportunity.

I am not and have never have been under the impression that "as a drone pilot, I am going to be forced to join the AMA and fly by their rules"

However, what I have made abundantly clear is that the AMA heavily lobbied and advised the FAA to do just exactly that: make all drone owners join the AMA and let the AMA handle all the drone registrations for the FAA, and make all drone owners fly under AMA Rules. It's in the 211 page FAA document that no one wants to read.

So, using your terms of art, even the independent clubs across the nation, which are sanctioned by the AMA, don't even follow all the AMA Flying Rules, which are mandatory for any coverage under the AMA Insurance. Hmmmm. I guess they just get to pick and choose which ones they want to follow and which they find absurd, like I do! :p

You're the one making these claims and that it has been researched. Enlighten us...

Burden of proof is on you.
Just as I thought. You claim the rules support you but can't cite a single one. Believe what you want. You're the only one calling me liar. Prove it!

Last edited:
As I said, I have no idea how FAA could enforce the reg but that's what it says.

I don't want to start a speculation game about scenarios but according to the reg, if the current owner has a UAS which he FLEW prior to December 21, 2015 he must register prior to February 19. But, to use your example,if a person bought his only hobby UAS either used or broken prior to December 21, and finally made his first flight May 16, 2016 he doesn't have to register until just before that first flight.

No disrespect intended but I believe we are trying to give Phantompilots members the best information in the clearest way possible so they can make an informed decision.
Again, the FAA has no jurisdiction over any aircraft until it is flown into FAA controlled airspace. Drone ownership by itself does not require registration, even if you have flown it before Dec 21. The dates are clear. Flown before Dec 21, fly without registering yourself until February 19, 2016. Before you fly after February 19, 2016, you are required to register first, just like all the other new drone owners must register before their first flights on or after Dec 21.

Last edited:
Just as I thought. You claim the rules support you but can't cite a single one. Believe what you want. You're the only one calling me liar. Prove it!

[CONTENT DELETED] Again Academy of Model Aeronautics or more accurately http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/memanual.pdf, just go read the AMA rules for yourself. It certainly isn't my job to hold your hand and wipe your butt when you embarrass yourself, so nut up and just go LOOK for yourself (and maybe look up the definition of the phrase "when appropriate" as well, since it seems to be one of your trouble spots with these rules)...

[CONTENT DELETED] Again Academy of Model Aeronautics or more accurately http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/memanual.pdf, just go read the AMA rules for yourself. It certainly isn't my job to hold your hand and wipe your butt when you embarrass yourself, so nut up and just go LOOK for yourself (and maybe look up the definition of the phrase "when appropriate" as well, since it seems to be one of your trouble spots with these rules)...
Let's start with the 400' AGL Rule of the AMA, and see if you recognize this passage:

"BUT, if you are an AMA member the AMA limits flight to 400ft. The AMA is a private organization, BTW.

So to be covered by AMA's insurance program included with membership, in the event of a crash you must have been operating within the AMA rules, including the 400ft AGL ceiling! BTW- this insurance covers the aircraft as well as medical for the pilot, and liability as secondary coverage.

But 400ft is neither law nor is it a regulation but merely a guideline, though it is a rule for AMA members (which is a private organization). But if this 400ft rule WERE a regulation, it would be overreach as there is no legal authority for it as airspace has already been classified by law and by treaty."

QED
:p

I was notified last week by the US Office of Personnel Management that they were hacked and that my SSN, CC #'s and other private information was compromised. They had the information because I had to obtain a criminal background check by the FBI for employment in the aviation industry. So they better come up with a way to pay other than using a CC or requiring my SSN because it will be a cold day in hell before our inept government ever gets their slimy hands on that info. again.
Exactly my point! The FAA has assured everyone that their database will meet the same government required security standards as the one used by the US Office of Personnel Management! Comforting, eh? :rolleyes:

Let's start with the 400' AGL Rule of the AMA, and see if you recognize this passage:

"BUT, if you are an AMA member the AMA limits flight to 400ft. The AMA is a private organization, BTW.

[...]

The AMA manual ACTUALLY says:

"2. ... (c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator."

What is SO freakin hard about downloading the AMA manual and just reading it??? You just dig yourself in deeper and deeper, doesn't it seem disingenuous to comment on a rule you aren't even familiar with...

BTW - if you go to the FAA website, THEY say to limit your flights to 400ft and they AREN'T a private organization Model Aircraft Operations

"Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:
  • "Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles"

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The AMA manual ACTUALLY says:

"2. ... (c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator."

What is SO freakin hard about downloading the AMA manual and just reading it??? You just dig yourself in deeper and deeper...

BTW - if you go to the FAA website, THEY say to limit your flights to 400ft and they AREN'T a private organization Model Aircraft Operations

"Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:
  • "Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles"
Uh, excuse me, James, but you are the author of the above quote that I cited, so now you are just arguing with yourself!

Have fun with that!:p:p:p

Uh, excuse me, James, but you are the author of the above quote that I cited, so now you are just arguing with yourself!

Have fun with that!:p

Oh, that's easy!! My original statement that you quoted in your message is meaningless to this conversation since we are discussing what rules the AMA publishes for it's members to operate under. And for those rules we have go to the source, which is the AMA website and the AMA manual, not some other party here-say. I'm an AMA member only, not an AMA official spokesman. Anything I say about the AMA rules is an opinion, while anything I quote from an official AMA publication IS official.

You see, Jimmy, people say a LOT of things casually and while when taken in context what they said makes some sense. So when you are trying to drill down to what the AMA rules really are saying nothing short of going straight to the source suffices. So, Jimmy, you have to be REAL careful about making strawman arguments like you did above, it makes you look foolish and if you do it enough you'll grow hair on the palms and go blind as well...

PS- the local flying field for our local club IS within the 3-mile radius of an airport and the general mindset of every club member is on that 400ft limit, which is why it's DOUBLY important to actually look at what the AMA publishes rather than the opinions of how the rules might be!

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
Oh, that's easy!! My original statement that you quoted in your message is meaningless to this conversation since we are discussing what rules the AMA publishes for it's members to operate under. And for those rules we have go to the source, which is the AMA website and the AMA manual, not some other party here-say. I'm an AMA member only, not an AMA official spokesman. Anything I say about the AMA rules is an opinion, while anything I quote from an official AMA publication IS official.

You see, Jimmy, people say a LOT of things casually and while when taken in context what they said makes some sense. So when you are trying to drill down to what the AMA rules really are saying nothing short of going straight to the source suffices. So, Jimmy, you have to be REAL careful about making strawman arguments like you did above, it makes you look foolish and if you do it enough you'll grow hair on the palms and go blind as well...

PS- the local flying field for our local club IS within the 3-mile radius of an airport and the general mindset of every club member is on that 400ft limit, which is why it's DOUBLY important to actually look at what the AMA publishes rather than the opinions of how the rules might be!
See, James (yes, that's the name you signed one of your posts with) I knew you couldn't help yourself! You are now arguing with yourself and trying to justify it to me. No need. BTW, my name is not Jimmy, but yours is. I see from your recent posts that you have developed an obvious chip on your shoulder and are now just using the forum as a scapegoat for your anger issues. We're done here.:rolleyes:

Again, the FAA has no jurisdiction over any aircraft until it is flown into FAA controlled airspace. Drone ownership by itself does not require registration, even if you have flown it before Dec 21. The dates are clear. Flown before Dec 21, fly without registering yourself until February 19, 2016. Before you fly after February 19, 2016, you are required to register first, just like all the other new drone owners must register before their first flights on or after Dec 21.

This dead horse is looking like hamburger. but here is my LAST clarification of the Reg. As I have said many other places in this forum, do as you please but make sure you have ALL the facts.

All anyone has is the plain language of the regulation which says "purchased after December 21....register before flown" .... "Operated before December 21......regisister before February 19".

The Rules of statutory interpretation specify that if language is used in one part of the statute but omitted in another part you are to assume the drafter did not want the language inserted in the section where it does not appear.

The original language does NOT read, nor can you insert language that makes the reg read "Operated before December 21....register before February 19 [or before your first flight after February 19]."

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers