AMA Recommends Members To Not Register Until Deadline

I'm sure you've seen videos on YouTube. People are doing very dangerous things with their drones.

What's the percentage of those videos done in the US? There are videos of lots of things being used in a manner not intended, is your solution to regulate everything? At some point, it has to stop and some people have chosen this, to be that point for them.

There are videos of lots of things being used in a manner not intended, is your solution to regulate everything?
Nope -- it's the goverment's solution though.

Why don't you remove your license plate from your car? You're being tracked like a criminal everyday you're out driving -- even though you've done nothing wrong. How is that acceptable, but it's not acceptable for your drones?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The AMA wants to be the NRA of Drones. I aint mad, I thank both orgs for what they do, and both are useful but they seem a little "prima donna-ish".

Reactions: jryser
Nope -- it's the goverment's solution though.

Why don't you remove your license plate from your car? You're being tracked like a criminal everyday you're out driving -- even though you've done nothing wrong. How is that acceptable, but it's not acceptable for your drones?
My point for frustration about registration is to reduce the target size I am to the government as much as possible in the new world of unnecessary paranoia. Wow that was a long sentence!

Sent from my PT beating heart

FAA Finally Admits Names And Home Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available
They already admitted this days ago in the original 100+ page document they released. I guess people don't like to read 100+ page documents ;)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
They already admitted this days ago in the original 100+ page document they released. I guess people don't like to read 100+ page documents ;)
More like some people don't have time for that... Some people are not sitting in front a computer all day long reading silly stories.. but yeah, i sure dont want my 13 year old son's name and address being available for anyone to see, all becuase he owns a beebop drone....

More like some people don't have time for that
Hah, yes, this is certainly the case. The FAA's documents are not fun to read.

Why not attach the number inside the battery compartment? That way it would not be easily visible to anyone else.

In the document I referenced, it says you must have the registration number in order to look up the contact information. So, it would be no different than someone trying to guess your son's SSN.

That could be a solution, but nope, i would just follow AMA advisory and hold off on registering anything untill the Feb 19 deadline....

Sure, if you're an AMA member -- you could wait and hope for change. If you're not an AMA member, then I'm not sure how it'll benefit you.

Sure, if you're an AMA member -- you could wait and hope for change. If you're not an AMA member, then I'm not sure how it'll benefit you.

This pretty much nails it!

It's hard to dispute the overall need for a registry like this, but the Special Rule for Model Aircraft in the 2012 law explicitly has a carve out for members of organizations like the AMA where they are already registered and operate under strict safety guidelines.

I was surprised that the FAA hasn't really over-reached with this registration program (though it's far from perfect), other than ignoring the clear instructions Congress gave them in the 2012 law in regards to model aircraft and organizations like the AMA.

But that over-reach is STILL an over-reach and as a people we should never tolerate this from our government institutions! This registration program can still be effective without the FAA exceeding their authority, there is no practical reason for the FAA to over-reach like this, none what so ever!

You have a choice to join the AMA and be under the blanket protections that Congress carved out for such organizations, or you can register with the FAA as an unaffiliated RC pilot (or do both). Or ignore the whole situation and hope you never get caught. Or never fly again after December 21st, 2015.

It's entirely your choice.

I became an AMA member long before this issue of registration came up because I enjoy the benefits it confers on me. I'm happy that Congress saw the value of community based organizations like the AMA and am saddened by the FAA's myopic rush to ignore that very same value in a fit of blustering bureaucratic over-reach with a claim of "good intentions". The road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Last edited:
If they are going to publicly publish our names and addresses then they should also publish the FAA and DOT leadership's information from the director down to major department heads. There is too much privacy being lost.

The AMA wants to be the NRA of Drones. I aint mad, I thank both orgs for what they do, and both are useful but they seem a little "prima donna-ish".

It's hard not to be "prima donna-ish" when you have but one reason for existence! And that's part of what we members pay our membership fees for, that focus...

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
It's not that the people didn't read the 100+ document, It's that the FAQ is what comes up on any search, also, it's only the FAQ that the media is reporting from. Not the 211page report.

It's hard not to be "prima donna-ish" when you have but one reason for existence! And that's part of what we members pay our membership fees for, that focus...

Seems like the AMA wants people to register with them instead of the FAA. They aren't against registration so it seems. Also, I believe the AMA is more strict than the FAA.

As I understand it, I can fly all the way until Feb 19 without registration. Then take a week or two or whatever off flying, then just register before I want to fly, right?

My understanding is that it is the flying part that trigger the need for registration, not the ownership part.
That is absolutely correct. Not from the AMA, but directly from the FAA.

If you have a concern with the government having your credit card information, why not get one of those disposable prepaid credit cards to use for the registration? Personally I'm under the assumption that the NSA has already skimmed that information.
Indeed, but then you won't qualify for the "free" part and a bribe of a $5 credit. Personally, it's worth giving up the $5 credit as cheap insurance to keep your credit card private and out of the FAA database.:D Use a $5 Visa Gift card instead, no matter when, or if, you decide to register.

We know my plan wont work. Because of members like you. You will be the first one to jump in and register so you can get on Phantom Pilots and say I just registered and I am king of the hill my FAA # is 3 .:cool:
Three? That number is going in all my quads! :p

It's not that the people didn't read the 100+ document, It's that the FAQ is what comes up on any search, also, it's only the FAQ that the media is reporting from. Not the 211page report.
The first post in this thread contains the link to the 211 page FAA document. Not only is the FAQ vague and ambiguous and incomplete, I believe it is also WRONG, and cannot be relied upon. There is nothing in the 211 page FAA document that says you can hand the controls over to your unregistered friend and let them fly your bird, and a lot that would clearly prohibit that, yet the FAQ says you can. I don't believe it. An FAQ is not a legally binding document. The original is! Someone screwed up in writing the FAQ!:eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj