AMA members renewing? Or just joining the FAA

The Park Pilot Program is different than an open membership and it cost less.

I'm curious how many ppl are staying with the Ana and who's leaving
I left with the raise of dues and the lack of "drone" support from them

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
A recent communication from the AMA leads me to believe they are more interested in leveraging the new regulations to gain memberships than fighting for my interests.

Prove it.
You do not have to fly at an AMA field in order to be covered by the insurance. You just have to follow the AMA Safety Code.

Considering what I see a lot of people posting here, that might be tough for the average pilot to do. Here are some AMA Safety Code rules that are commonly broken in our community:
  • Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet
  • All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures and shall avoid endangerment of life and property of others.
  • At all flying sites a safety line(s) must be established in front of which all flying takes place.
  • Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor model aircraft in flight while it is still under power, except to divert it from striking an individual.
  • RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times.
  • Maintain control during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses prescribed for the pilot.
  • Must be at least 100 feet downwind of spectators and automobile parking when the model aircraft is launched.
  • The flying area must be clear of all utility wires or poles and a model aircraft will not be flown closer than 50 feet to any above-ground electric utility lines.

Reactions: BigAl07
Prove it.
I guess some people have to be hand fed??? LOL

The confusion stems from:

A) A change of terms and conditions over the years within AMA (but nothing very recent).
B) The fact that to fly at an AMA Club field you are required to have AMA insurance per the club. This is to protect the club but more importantly to protect the land owner if the AMA is providing insurance to them for use of their land (as they should).
C) The AMA defines what needs to be done in order to fly within the AMA Safety Code which states you should have a Flight Line (never fly behind it) and a designated spectator area.

Download the Membership Manual (2014) and give it a look. Also keep in mind there is also a Park Flyer designation which was designed specifically for Park Flyers which was the "renegades" before drones "took off".

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/memanual.pdf

Also keep in mind there is also a Park Flyer designation which was designed specifically for Park Flyers
Per the above link:
"Park Flyer Definition: Park Flyer models will weigh two pounds or less"

Reactions: BigAl07
The FAA ruling has not changed the benefits of being an AMA member. The way it looks now, you will be allowed to use your AMA number instead of your fed ID number on your aircraft, you will have clearance for 400+' flights, the benefit of additional insurance and the usual things they do like air shows, etc. And don't forget, they are still negotiating with the FAA over the registration debacle. The AMA is still a worth while association to be a member of.

Dont forget tho that even if some one is going to be allowed to put there ama number on the craft in place of there faa number they are still required to register with the faa and get a number even tho they will not have to use the faa number on the craft the ama is still saying some one has to still register with the faa and still carry a copy of there faa registration card with them at all times when flying.

Just wanted to point that out being it seems as if some are thinking that if they are an ama member that they get out of haveing to register with the faa. So one still needs to have both if they have an ama member ship. they just will not be required to put the faa number on there craft its self.

Tho Its still not set in stone or even in writing yet if they faa will really allow the ama number to be in the faa numbers place. RIght now from what Im understanding its just an informal agreement with some one at the faa that told the ama they will let them use there ama numbers. But they could always change there minds or even say oh sorry that person was not supposed to make any promises like that.

So in till its in writeing its still not a sure thing.

Dont forget tho that even if some one is going to be allowed to put there ama number on the craft in place of there faa number they are still required to register with the faa and get a number even tho they will not have to use the faa number on the craft the ama is still saying some one has to still register with the faa and still carry a copy of there faa registration card with them at all times when flying.

Just wanted to point that out being it seems as if some are thinking that if they are an ama member that they get out of haveing to register with the faa. So one still needs to have both if they have an ama member ship. they just will not be required to put the faa number on there craft its self.

Tho Its still not set in stone or even in writing yet if they faa will really allow the ama number to be in the faa numbers place. RIght now from what Im understanding its just an informal agreement with some one at the faa that told the ama they will let them use there ama numbers. But they could always change there minds or even say oh sorry that person was not supposed to make any promises like that.

So in till its in writeing its still not a sure thing.
I haven't seen anyone here say they think they are exempt. Plus that data just came out yesterday, but I get your point. Being an AMA does not exempt you from the FAA registration.

Reactions: J.James
The FAA ruling has not changed the benefits of being an AMA member. The way it looks now, you will be allowed to use your AMA number instead of your fed ID number on your aircraft, you will have clearance for 400+' flights, the benefit of additional insurance and the usual things they do like air shows, etc. And don't forget, they are still negotiating with the FAA over the registration debacle. The AMA is still a worth while association to be a member of.
The FAA says the standard can be met by following the rules of a "community". AMA is such a community, and under its flight rules, one can fly over 400'. But they didn't say you have to pay the annual dues to belong to that community, just that you have to follow its flight rules.

Isn't it enough just to learn and follow the AMA rules?

The FAA says the standard can be met by following the rules of a "community". AMA is such a community, and under its flight rules, one can fly over 400'. But they didn't say you have to pay the annual dues to belong to that community, just that you have to follow its flight rules.

Isn't it enough just to learn and follow the AMA rules?
No. To become a part of their community, you have to join. To join, you have to pay the dues. Good grief, why do so many people here nitpick things down to the ridiculous?!

The FAA says the standard can be met by following the rules of a "community".
Can you provide a link to where you're quoting this from?

It's on one of the FAA pages, I've seen it. But it implies "joining" the community they're referring to, which is the AMA.
He is correct... I too have read it.

Can either of you provide a link? All I can find is vague statements like this one:

"the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization"

Yep. It's no secret that the FAA and AMA have a formal relationship.

On the point artichoke made above, do either of you know if pilots will be allowed to fly above 400' anywhere if they are AMA members and are following the AMA Code of Conduct? Or, will it require flying at an AMA field? If the former, this could make an AMA membership very beneficial for those people who love to fly high.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4