Am thinking of sending my remote to fpvlr to add the long range kit.

Reaction score
Has anyone had it done? Is there anything else I should have added to the remote? I see some remotes that have a lot of stuff on them. I live in CT I'm hoping to get more distance. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've been thinking about doing the same for my remote. However, yesterday I flew out about 2.3 miles on my stock RC (w/ windsurfer). After the P3 got to the destination that I flew to, I recorded some video for a couple of minutes then it was time to return home in order to safely make it back on a single fully charged battery. I arrived back with about 20% battery life. So I started thinking, what good would a range extender do if my new bottleneck/limitation is the battery? Until we get higher capacity batteries I don't see us going out much further than the 3 mile (5k) range.

I've been thinking about doing the same for my remote. However, yesterday I flew out about 2.3 miles on my stock RC (w/ windsurfer). After the P3 got to the destination that I flew to, I recorded some video for a couple of minutes then it was time to return home in order to safely make it back on a single fully charged battery. I arrived back with about 20% battery life. So I started thinking, what good would a range extender do if my new bottleneck/limitation is the battery? Until we get higher capacity batteries I don't see us going out much further than the 3 mile (5k) range.

Sound logic.

Depending on conditions though the 'kit' can improve signal quality to reduce drop-outs or orther interference.

Reactions: FotoGeek
Sound logic.

Depending on conditions though the 'kit' can improve signal quality to reduce drop-outs or orther interference.

Yea.. good point. It could definitely help within that 5k range where there is more interference than normal.

That's great range the longest I ever went was 2400 and that's only happened once.

Does anyone know if there's anything else I can add to the remote I've seen some remotes with a lot of stuff or will that not work on the standard ?

There has always been a bit of variability in these things even back to the P2 Vision+ which had a stated range of 800m. In a good environment like over water or open country my stock Vision+ has been out over 8500'...far in excess of the stated range. At my old house in a busy neighborhood with lots of trees I typically got 3000' or less unless I flew high enough to maintain a direct LOS between me & the P2.

I would first try range testing in an open environment like over water or open farmland. Are you losing control signal or video? Once you find a good place & get a few range-check runs, start on the simple side like a Windsurfer. <$15 & it just slips over the antenna. That would be good for the control side. Next up I would try something like the non-amplified FVPLR or DBS mods. Along the way keep testing at your known good site to compare results.

If you still desire more range you can add RC-side amps, & even a bird-side amp & antennas. At this point the whole setup becomes rather cumbersome. You have this big rig with all these cables & an external battery. If you do bird-side mods now your Phantom has antennas hanging out & a tray to carry the amp, etc.. The additional weight & power draw reduces flight times. Once you get beyond 3-4 miles out you are nearing the limits of battery power even on a stock aircraft.

So I recommend finding a good spot to determine your bird's stock range, then take it in increments until you get where you want to be with the least amount of additional equipment.

Does anyone know if there's anything else I can add to the remote I've seen some remotes with a lot of stuff or will that not work on the standard ?

There has always been a bit of variability in these things even back to the P2 Vision+ which had a stated range of 800m. In a good environment like over water or open country my stock Vision+ has been out over 8500'...far in excess of the stated range. At my old house in a busy neighborhood with lots of trees I typically got 3000' or less unless I flew high enough to maintain a direct LOS between me & the P2.

I would first try range testing in an open environment like over water or open farmland. Are you losing control signal or video? Once you find a good place & get a few range-check runs, start on the simple side like a Windsurfer. <$15 & it just slips over the antenna. That would be good for the control side. Next up I would try something like the non-amplified FVPLR or DBS mods. Along the way keep testing at your known good site to compare results.

If you still desire more range you can add RC-side amps, & even a bird-side amp & antennas. At this point the whole setup becomes rather cumbersome. You have this big rig with all these cables & an external battery. If you do bird-side mods now your Phantom has antennas hanging out & a tray to carry the amp, etc.. The additional weight & power draw reduces flight times. Once you get beyond 3-4 miles out you are nearing the limits of battery power even on a stock aircraft.

So I recommend finding a good spot to determine your bird's stock range, then take it in increments until you get where you want to be with the least amount of additional equipment.
Thank you for your great reply. I've gotten 2400 in open area but that's farm land. Don't have much of that around me though. I use my get between 1000 and 1400. Not horrible but would love double that if possible. I ordered the windsurfer to see if that help at all. First drone and really enjoy it !! I always fly safe so not worried about hight but more distance would be great. What do u think about the kit I was talking about??
4ffb6e618f3288d7ed3e8783a5fc6521.jpg

This isn't a bad kit at all. Tony does good work over @ FVPLR & you can even ask him about customizing the color of the base if you want white with white half-spheres $ copper coils. I assume you'll be installing this yourself & are comfortable modding your controller? Does Tony offer an install option so you can send in your controller & let him perform the install?

Alternatively you could also check out DBS Mods. He will actually perform the installation for his ITE Elite antenna kit on your controller & send it back to you ready to go for $209. Here is a link to check it out:

ITELITE DBS PHANTOM Antenna (including install) *Any model*

Thank you for your great reply. I've gotten 2400 in open area but that's farm land. Don't have much of that around me though. I use my get between 1000 and 1400. Not horrible but would love double that if possible. I ordered the windsurfer to see if that help at all. First drone and really enjoy it !! I always fly safe so not worried about hight but more distance would be great. What do u think about the kit I was talking about??
4ffb6e618f3288d7ed3e8783a5fc6521.jpg

I havent seen anyone with the FPVLR on the P3S yet. I get just under 2 miles on my DBSMod. I could probably get further if there wasnt interference towards the end of the 2 miles.

OP, take a look at the Inspire Mount for the remote. Works better than the clip that comes with the P3S

Yes they do the install for $100. Great now I'm stuck between decided witch one to go with. Lol. Have you heard any feedback on either one? Thing is I want to send the controller out ONCE so want to make sure I get the most distance possible the first time. Thanks for all your help really appreciate it !!!

Reactions: FotoGeek
They said they send it back longest 2 days after they receive it

The P3S antenna setup is basically identical as the one for the Vision+ with the principle difference being the Wi-Fi extender is built-into the P3S controller rather than a separate unit mounted to the handle. There are many Vision/Vision+ aircraft with the FVPLR system installed & Tony's system is well proven. The P3S system will aesthetically provide for a cleaner install with all three antenna couplers going directly into to the controller.

yea a lot on the P3A/P3P, not on the P3S...

The P3S antenna setup is basically identical as the one for the Vision+ with the principle difference being the Wi-Fi extender is built-into the P3S controller rather than a separate unit mounted to the handle. There are many Vision/Vision+ aircraft with the FVPLR system installed & Tony's system is well proven. The P3S system will aesthetically provide for a cleaner install with all three antenna couplers going directly into to the controller.

Yes im sure it works great and they have great quality products, im considering getting cables, and birside antennas from fpvlr. i havent seen anyone here with the fpvlr P3S remote antenna, but based on their past results with other quads, im assuming they work great. if someone buys em and gets great results, a lot of people will probably be buying them as well

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj