Am I understanding everything correctly?

Reaction score
So I've been doing my reading up and have about 5 flights now with no real issues, doing some distance already tested it in NAZA mode with CL HL and failsafe and am pretty comfortable. But I have some questions on if I am understanding the mods/addons right.

1. There is no app or anything that will connect to a stock Phantom 2 without an addon right?
2. Any add on I buy can be plugged into what I already have without any other addon, i.e. the blue tooth or iosd can be plugged into the mainboard module or compass(I've watched a few youtube videos), at one point I thought I had to buy the little orange Naza module but if I am understanding it right if I order the bluetooth I can do the logged waypoints with ground station app with minmal tinkering, unless I want to install it inside the bird. Same as if I get the IOSD, I can buy one of those items and nothing else needed except labor, and the orange module is already part of it, yes?
3. I am still fuzzy on the transmitter and understand to do the best FPV I'd need to get the 5.4 ghz and the 7 inch monitor yes?

I've been racking my brain on what to get next and I'm pretty sure I'm not ready for FPV yet but I want to start getting some of these items together before I do something really silly with my money :p . I haven't been able to take it out somewhere other than a field to fly yet going to do that this weekend. My first flight was 16 minutes and I've had one landing but it flipped backward, no damage, did trash a prop doing something stupid everything else has been hand caught landings. Thinking of getting some little skids I saw in one video and maybe some prop guards for future stupidity. I definitely want to be able to do waypoint flying it just looks so cool and i'd love to be able to send it out over my moms property(9 acres) and map the perimeter with it.

No unfortunately you're not going to be able to get an app with the P2 and you're not gonna be able to do way points without some major investments. And to be quite honest to get a transmitter antennas and monitor you're probably looking at more of an investment than if you were did just sell what you have and by the phantom three standard for $500 that will give you an app and all the stuff you want in a nice little package

So I am understanding right. I know the investments I am just making sure I'm going to be able to do it. I want the 2 because I like having the option to change out the camera as they increase in capability down the road. It came with the gimble and I already have a couple GoPros. So after a little more searching apparantly to do waypoint flying I need the Bluetooth module AND datalink, was thinking only the module, which both are under $200 right now. I have an Iphone that can handle it as well as a mini laptop that I already use for field work as is so it should work out. Not real big on FPV right now, no real need for it, yet.

Thank you for the reply dirtybum, like I said just trying to make sure I'm reading stuff right, to many times I've misunderstood and bought more than I needed or the wrong version of something.

So I am understanding right. I know the investments I am just making sure I'm going to be able to do it. I want the 2 because I like having the option to change out the camera as they increase in capability down the road. It came with the gimble and I already have a couple GoPros. So after a little more searching apparantly to do waypoint flying I need the Bluetooth module AND datalink, was thinking only the module, which both are under $200 right now. I have an Iphone that can handle it as well as a mini laptop that I already use for field work as is so it should work out. Not real big on FPV right now, no real need for it, yet.

Thank you for the reply dirtybum, like I said just trying to make sure I'm reading stuff right, to many times I've misunderstood and bought more than I needed or the wrong version of something.

If you want to do way points then you need the following equipment iOSD, datalink system including bluetooth, 5.8GHz transmitter and iPad or iPhone.

Here's a video where both systems are being used.

I didn't want to start another thread but had another question on some of the items. Everything I could possibly upgrade the Remote will always remain the same and be 2.4ghz? Just a better antenna? Or is there a upgrade to make it 5.8? The way I am seeing this is only the video and maybe telemetry data will be 5.8 and then the only reason is that it would interfere with the control of the bird if I leave it 2.4? Or am I completely missing something. I have watched many vids and read up but nothing specifically says switch the remote.

I didn't want to start another thread but had another question on some of the items. Everything I could possibly upgrade the Remote will always remain the same and be 2.4ghz? Just a better antenna? Or is there a upgrade to make it 5.8? The way I am seeing this is only the video and maybe telemetry data will be 5.8 and then the only reason is that it would interfere with the control of the bird if I leave it 2.4? Or am I completely missing something. I have watched many vids and read up but nothing specifically says switch the remote.

What he has done was to add a 2.4GHz datalink module (for a ground station) inside the shell along with the mini iOSD module. At the same time he also has a 5.8GHz signal from the TX going to a monitor mounted on his RC controller. The ground station is comprised of bluetooth module connected to the 2.4GHz datalink receiver which connected to either smartphone or tablet. By using the ground station he can setup waypoints and fly the P2 or use the controller setup but not both at the same time.

Using datalink is a cheaper way to obtain a ground station then using lightbridge system.

If costs are no concerns.... then there is one more alternative - converting it to a P2V+.

Ingredients:
5.8Ghz controller and receiver.
P2V+ 2.4ghz Wifi module
2.4GHz RE700 range extender
2 x P2V+ WiFi Patch antennas.
P2V+ cables.
Android Phone (only android works the DJI app for the GoPro 3+H33D).

This will give you the same abilities and the P2V+ as you can now use your phone and the DJI vision app.
You will however get less FPV range. Maximum range I have achieved is 800m @ 640x480@15fps. I know the AVL58 and the black pearl combo is capable of 1500m.

Take into consideration that the P3's are becoming cheaper and its now more feasible to use Phantoms for aerials and GoPro's for action footage..

So instead of a new post I figured I'd continue this one. I picked up a Flysight Black Pearl All in one for 80 bucks everything seems to be in working order, it was missing a charger, but if I've read right any 12 volt power supply will charge the battery. It did have 3/4 of a charge when delivered and power right up and works great. I ordered an FPV hub for 10 bucks shipped so far I'm only about $640 into it. My next purchase will be an IOSd mini for telemetry, seen them for $40 than I'll be looking at the ground station for under $150 so after that I'll be 800 bucks into this and that isn't bad, just saw the GoPro Karma is going to be 800 bucks, that thing looks awesome. I already own several GoPros to include a 3 Black and 4 Black. I have a much better understanding of most of the stuff now, the biggest problem I have is I live on a military base and they have been confiscating drones lately citing the photography laws of the post, but in all actuality they are listed as a no fly zone to start with. Some Air Force bases have written policies allowing people living on the base to fly them in housing or at the parks but no within 1/2 a mile of any official buildings or something to that affect, a couple of us here have brought that up to the right people and they are looking into it. But I digress.

So far:
Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-D3 Gimbal $550
Flysight FPV all in one - Used $80
DJI FPV Hub $10

Future Projects:
IosD Mini $40
Ground Station Hardware $120

I am considering upgrading to a imersonic transmitter as the Flysight one is 250mW, but I don't know if I'll even need to.

So after this is all said and done my next desire would be two things that I've read on the newer ones, that may not even be possible, the ability to follow a person and/or the ability to circle an object like a tree or a person, specifically my kids have one of those playhouse swingset slide setups would love for it to circle while they are playing doing some action shots, if it's not possible with the P2 I'm fine with that. I am still glad I went with the 2 vs a newer all in one solution I am actually learning a lot more about it. I went with the hub for now as I don't want to crack open the bird just yet I will get there after I've tested some stuff out and start installing stuff when I get everything i want for it. I also need to get some kind of mounting bracket for the monitor, don't know if one was supposed to come with the all in one or not.

So anything else I haven't thought about on this? I've been looking at my mounting options and other mods and it's looking like I'm making some good deals along the way on this. It's funny the store I bought my Phantom from when I got it had three with the gimbals priced at $550 and it said on the label with Gimbal and a few others on the same shelf without out, it even rang up as 600+ at the register I asked they checked corrected the price the next day the other two were gone, and here we are more than 6 months later and they still have the ones without gimbal for $550 never got more with Gimbals, but were selling the Gimbals separate, they now Have more drones as well, a couple P3s the Parrot bebop, but the price stayed the same, so I got pretty lucky i think. I've seen a lot of people saying to scrap it and invest in a newer one that has everything I want to do already and is cheaper but this is a lot of fun and in the end I will know what I have understand it better and appreciate the extras more and thus far the price is comparable, considering I already had the camera.

Sorry for the wordy post I don't get on here much and when I have the time I put it all out there.

As always thanks for the input all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues