Am I F'd? 1st day, slow landing on grass, disaster!

And before people start saying it is dangerous and you will chop your hands off NO IT ISN'T!!!
Hand catching is a great skill that everyone should learn how to do properly. When landing on uneven terrain, I always prefer to hand catch over attempting a sketchy landing.

Reactions: Reed L and Wibble
Hand catch on all landings except concrete or asphalt....just saying.....280 successful P3P flights.

Absolutely the same way I look at it. I'll add to that little to no wind. If it's even a little windy I hand catch. I know the non believers don't understand but if done the right way it is safe and ensures no damage to your bird.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: flpholt and Wibble
Prop guards can be a pfaff to deal with but save a lot of grief when something goes wrong. I recently flew my p3 without them, had a couple of landing tip overs (didn't use CSC and not happened before so unsure why), and this damaged the bearings in a couple of motors. Guards would have avoided this.

This video when I was doing due dil before getting the p3 convinced me of the benefits

with tipover protection at 1m24s

Hand catch and you don't need guards. They add drag and make VRS more likely.

I always just bring it to a head-level hover, walk over to it, grab the landing gear with one hand, and shut it off with the rc left stick down with the other hand. For on the job Health & Safety procedures, I carry a nicely fitted Kevlar glove for hand catching purposes. For those nervous about hand-catching, a pair of Kevlar gloves is not expensive. Amazon.com: Rothco Shurrite Heavyweight Cut Resistant Gloves: Sports & Outdoors

let it hoover over your head hit auto land then hand catch it motors shut right off no problems no tipping

Reactions: DronerLee
I still think the firmware could avoid this situation. The software monitors both motor load and motor RPM, so if it sees motor RPM at or near zero and a very high motor load (and possibly no altitude change for 1 second), it should cut the motors to prevent this type of motor burnout.

Mike

My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't think auto land is such a good idea though.
its great don't have to worry about rc only catching the bird I even sometimes just set rc down and catch it

lets just say if your afraid to handcatch or if you don't have good hand eye coordination or clumsy or brain dead don't even try then it is not for everyone

Reactions: Numone and Wibble
Auto land while hand catching is not a good idea. I hover about 5' in front of me at about 7 to 8' high.....(I'm 6'-2") I then walk toward it and grab the closest landing leg with my right hand and full throttle down with my left thumb while holding the RC in my left hand. It takes a few seconds for the motors to stop. Looks like the Statue of Liberty on the 4th of July!.....hand catching is the way to go guys.......trust me. Love my Scotty (P3P)

Auto land while hand catching is not a good idea. I hover about 5' in front of me at about 7 to 8' high.....(I'm 6'-2") I then walk toward it and grab the closest landing leg with my right hand and full throttle down with my left thumb while holding the RC in my left hand. It takes a few seconds for the motors to stop. Looks like the Statue of Liberty on the 4th of July!.....hand catching is the way to go guys.......trust me. Love my Scotty (P3P)
everyone has there own way of doing it the thing it does is avoid tip overs

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Looks like the Statue of Liberty

Hey that's my line and I am not even a Yank!

To the guy that said newbies shouldn't hand catch.... You're so wrong... Hand catching is easy and safe. Bring it in top speed right at eye level, let go of the sticks about 4 feet in front of you, it coasts in maybe another foot, then just reach up and grab it out of the air. Works every time :) The goal is to stop it at full speed just a few inches from your head , the game is called Chicken :) The closest that I have came is about 16" from full throttle but I have it high enough that I can simply tilt my head out of the way if needed. I've never had it slide past me and it always stops within a couple feet. These birds are amazing and can be a lot of fun :)

Reactions: flpholt

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj