Always hand spin your motors before take-off.

Reaction score
I have always done this but it seems many don't. You need to "feel" the resistance in your motors. If you don't, you're never going to know if something is going amiss. Yesterday, I did this and one motor didn't "feel" right. It had more resistance that the other three. I took my air compressor, turned it down to 30psi and blew some air through the motor (making sure my compressor was clear of any water). It was still not right. It still had a bit more resistance than the other three. I took it down to the shop to look at it further. It was clearly different.

I ordered up a few more motors and decided to look a little deeper. These are sealed bearings, right? They don't need any oil, right? Having worked on motorcycles my whole life, that's what it "felt" like to me, like it needed oil. I have some Tri-Flow "Superior Lubricant" oil here for other stuff. Super lightweight. I decide to try it. It has a tiny nozzle, almost like a syringe on it. I put a drop on the top bearing, pull the motor from the arm and put "a drop" on the bottom bearing. I turn the motor back and forth, over and over again. It seems like its working. I decide to do the same to the other three motors. It all looks good. I give it a bit of time to seep in and keep hand spinning the motors. First sitting on the landing gear and then turning it upside-down.

I hook up the RC to the bird and power her up (no props) and spin the motors for a while. Let her sit again for a bit. Now the motors all feel close to the same. I push a bit more air (low pressure) through both the top and the bottom of the motors just to spread it around and get the residual out and all is good. Motors feel consistent and she flies like a dream! Sealed bearings or not, it had a big impact.

Am I telling you to do this? Hell, no! I'm telling you that it worked for me (so far). I'm just sharing my personal experience.

Just really get to know your bird.

Jerry

These won't be the last sealed bearings that benefit from a good lube.

I usually soak new sealed bearings in oil prior to installation. I haven't had the phantom motors apart but would expect them to benefit the same way other larger RC motors do.

Reactions: Jtrjr
I agree with the hand spin to see if they all feel the same.
The bearings can and will seize up, especially after they heat up a bit, like in mid flight.
Also with out the props run it and listen to each motor, if one sounds different its a sign of trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L and Jtrjr
These won't be the last sealed bearings that benefit from a good lube.

I usually soak new sealed bearings in oil prior to installation. I haven't had the phantom motors apart but would expect them to benefit the same way other larger RC motors do.

Birds,

You're a better man than me. I didn't take them apart, just squeezed a tiny bit of oil on each one! I cheated :).

Jerry

Last edited:
Is there something that can go wrong if oiling is not done properly?

To put the exact tiny amount of oil on that you want, exactly where you want it, I use a round wooden toothpick. You can snip the end to whatever small amount of area is needed. You can buy applicators or use the drop method, but with just a touch taken off of the end of a toothpick you can apply whatever fraction of a drop is needed.

Reactions: MichaelS and Jtrjr
When it comes to different oils, many types will work, here's a good article - Model engine oils. Back in the 70's when I finally ran out of the old Aurora motor oil for my old HO cars set, I switched to a sowing machine oil and then in the 90's when I pulled it out for the kids, I switched to 5/30 Mobile 1, the same oil that I use in my cars. So I buy it by the gallon. I still have my old Aurora bottles, but now they're full of the 5/30 and it works. You can buy a lot of expensive oils by the gram or you can just use a good synthetic that is sold by the quart for a lot less then a lot of these oils that all say they are the best... Amazon.com: Mobil 1 (120766) Extended Performance 5W-30 Motor Oil - 5 Quart: Automotive

could some one possibly post a video on how to do this with motors on or off?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'd be worried about dirt and dust.

Are the bearings going to fail? Based on the number of threads that complain about bearings that fail or motors that seize, I'd say it's unlikely.

Will the addition of oil attract dirt and dust? I think it must.

Therefore, I'd not be inclined to add oil.

That's MHO which ain't worth much.

That's MHO which ain't worth much.

Mark,

You bring up some very valid points. All opinions have value. That's what this is about, sharing ideas and experiences!

I am fairly cautious about where and how I fly. I keep an oversized floor mat with me to take-off and land on and try not to fly in dusty or dirty environments. I also thing we need to be very careful not to over do it with the oil. A tiny drop on the top and bottom of the motor shaft. I just "felt" mine this morning and there is practically no resistance, they feel like brand new. We'll see how long it lasts!

Jerry

Another note, I also check for heat on my motors whenever I land or swap batteries. If one motor is hotter than another there may be a potential issue. I'm doing these things as there really isn't any way to predict catastrophic motor failure. Just some things to do to help prevent issues before they create bigger issues. JMHO, of course!

Jerry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair