Aluminium Ribbon Cable Protector? Phantom Fix

job2310 said:
Why does it take 4 minutes to say "Stick this bit of aluminium on the back of your gimbal"? Hahaha

Looks like a decent idea though, must order one.

4 minutes? How very dare you! It took me a good 9 minutes to say that (although that did include introducing the compulsory kitchen table beverage).

I just ordered one of these gimbal protectors today too! Ordered it at 10:46 am and it was shipped at 11:08 am! Great service! As a novice quad pilot, I was afraid of breaking this part in a crash (see my previous post "First Quad Flight - Remove Camera?). So now I can fly with more confidence after I install it.

Knock on wood..
Has anyone crashed with the protector on?

I too purchased one of the protectors and am quite happy with it. You do have to modify the gimble protector but that is easily accomplished with a Dremmel.

I purchased one of these and installed it last night. Very simple concept. Lightweight, perfect fit, comes with detailed instructions. Modified the gimbal clamp with dremel. Instructions even show where to cut. Flew with it this morning. If it saves my ribbon cable someday, I'll be happy. I have a spare ribbon cable also just in case, purchased from DDM when they were first offered for $15!

Gimbal protection with the aluminum guard installed?

Has anyone figured out how to use the OEM gimbal clamp (or a suitable substitute) with the aftermarket aluminum ribbon cable protector installed?

Re: Gimbal protection with the aluminum guard installed?

Geert said:
slothead said:
Has anyone figured out how to use the OEM gimbal clamp (or a suitable substitute) with the aftermarket aluminum ribbon cable protector installed?

I moved your post to this forum.

Geert./.
Thanks Geert - I'm too lazy to search :)

Received mine today.

Very light weight and an easy install, nice fit and finish.

Cheap insurance!

:harry

Is it true you don't need this on the P2V+ver3 and P3 due to better materials used and assembly?

Which ribbon cable protector (gimbal guard) do you have?

I bought one for my P2V+, seems to not change any noticeable weight etc. In the future I will purchase one for my P3. He stands behind his product, will it save your camera from a high altitude crash? NO but it won't come apart as a friend of mine crashed his P@V+ from a 125' and landed in a bush with the camera still attached. The camera became out of whack and he had to send her in for adjustments.

I made my own.
I put it on my P2V+ v3
It turned out so well I made 10 of them and put them on Ebay. Lots of lookers but I didn't sell a single one. I think I was too honest in my listing. I said something like this is a prototype - use at your own risk.
I made them out of 6063 aluminum, 1" u channel.
I did not see the need for screws because in a crash the u shape will hold the gimbal together.
I used UHB 3M tape. I added a rubber pad for two reasons, it helps to soften the blow, and it takes up a little space. The 1" wide u channel was just a touch too wide.
And I can still use the original DJI transport guard/clip/whateveryoucallit.
It works great and now I have proven it through 2 crashes! One crash and a hard landing. The crash was hard enough to eject my battery and make it not turn on anymore, And my camera is perfect!
gimbal.jpg

Nice testimony as to the value of this inexpensive add-on. Can't believe there are people out there who doubt it is needed. Some people I guess just have to learn the hard way.

I'm not sure if my gimbal guard really came into play or not in my crash. I kind of think not. So maybe the v3's are better made and the gimbal won't fly apart if you have a tip over landing like on the previous v's.
Either way it's cheap insurance and doesn't interfere with the gimbals operation or the transport clip and it only weighs 4.5 grams and makes me feel better about my $700.00 camera/gimbal.

BTW <quick hijack> the fish eye drives me nuts. Does anyone know if anyone makes a lens or conversion kit or anything? As a last resort I think I could remove the stock camera and gimbal and install a zm h4/?? and a Gopro but I think those have fish eye too don't they? This is one case where I like flat better than round for some reason.
;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic