Aluminium Ribbon Cable Protector? Phantom Fix

I'd be happy if there was a way to lock the gimbal. Hate to have it flopping around in my case. Not your fault just the wY it is.

I ordered one. The double sided tape keeps the bracket on. I have not seen any impact to movement of the motor. I am happy with the item, probably could be made cheaper out of plastic but this piece should be effective for the motor separation issue that rips the ribbon cable.

I am in need of about 20 these gimbal protectors, but I will need to source them from some other manufacture. Because of your reaction to a simple question that you took to be a precursor to some kind of "slam" against your product. When the facts are you did not have in your description the information that I inquired about. Below is the question that you took to be so offensive that you have waged a campaign that included email to my business, the posting of my name, etc

I do not see how to use both your protector and the stock gimbal/camera guard that comes with the Vision plus. Also I did not see mention that it would need to be attached with tape that could make it difficult to remove. I thank you for your quick shipping but I was making this purchase to provide me info for a review at Phantom Pilots where a thread was created about your part. At this point I am not happy.

I had expected you to answer my questions not attack me. Finally, I really had intended on offering an honest review of your product. How effective it is, if it is worth the cost and how good the customer service is would have been what I wanted to deal with. Instead this debate as been a complete distraction to the value of your product and h even prompted me to find someone else who can make them. Sorry that you took my words to be so offensive as that was not my intent.
Yours Truly,
Craig Rissman

clingermac said:
This is my last word to Mr. Rissman. I sent the e-mail with a copy of your previous question regarting weight because I stated in my response that it weighed 4 grams "with the tape". I also sent a copy of the instructions in case you didn't look at them before discarding them. When I tried to e-mail this to you, you had me spammed out and they couldn't be delivered. So I sent them to your "business" which you used here. The tone I took was because you told me that you were reviewing my product for a group and "AT THIS POINT I AM NOT HAPPY" what would you consider that statement other than I am about to slam your product because I didn't look at the instructions. You were implying that I had misrepresented it to cheat people. I have cheated no one. And lastly tell the truth about the tracking number: 9400111899561135182965 that just proves a point doesn't it. Do you work for a dealer, dealers are not happy with my product, DJI can't be happy with my product and why is it that you have all those gimbals you talk about? And it seems that of a couple of hundred people who have bought the product, YOU are the only one unhappy with it.
And as far as I'm concerned this subject is closed.

OMG!!! Some people just can't let it go. I have no dog in this fight. I just want to follow up on relevant information in posts that I'm following and then I run into stuff like this. Clingermac said the subject is closed so CLOSE IT ALREADY!!

Okay.. back to the subject. The following is my review of the product.

I received my gimbal bracket in the mail yesterday. I have to say it is pretty ingenious-- simple, but ingenious. The bracket (see my install below) is made out of light-weight aluminum, attached to the stationary half of the gimbal with double-sided poster tape, and it in no way interferes or interacts with the gimbal motor movement. It basically cradles the two halves of the gimbal motor (maybe 2mm short of actually touching it) within a U-shape so the two halves cannot come flying apart upon impact - avoiding the far too common and costly $700 gimbal repair. At least that's the theory behind it. Two minor notes.. I personally felt that the gap between the vertical portion of the bottom U-shape and the rotatable motor half of the gimbal could be reduced still further, so I tweaked the bracket with a pair of pliers and reduced the gap to about 0.5mm when I test fit it. (I simply bent it inward a hair.) Also, if you want to continue to use the DJI clear plastic gimbal lock for transporting, you will need to remove a small portion of the plastic per instructions -- which you can easily do with a dremel, grinder, hand coping saw, or simple hand file. Took me two minutes to do and the plastic lock once again goes on fine.

For me, this small $22 investment now provides me peace of mind that I probably (again in theory) will not require a $700 gimbal repair as a result of a small to medium impact, and I honestly can't see why any P2V+ owner would ever choose to fly without it. Just my opinion, folks.

btw.. I liked the bracket design/concept so much that I offered to revamp the seller's instruction sheet for him. I do graphics for a living and had some spare time today.

Attachments

• gimblebracket.jpg
    gimblebracket.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 665
The weight of the bracket (sorry, I do not own a scale - but it's minimal) in no way impacts the gimbal or camera movment because it is attached to stationary half of the gimbal. The one gram (maybe?) only adds to the weight of the Phantom, itself, which is so negligible it isn't a factor at all. And it doesn't throw off any balance of any kind. I literally can barely feel it in my hand when I hold the little piece.

Yeah sure no problem. It's raining today, so if you don't mind I'll do it tomorrow. ;)

I ordered one of these aluminum protectors out of curiosity and I give the inventor kudos. Another solution is to use the penetrating grade of Loctite or Permatex such as this:
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-29000-Pe ... ng+loctite

I'm sure that each method of preventing the gimbal from seperating has it's pros and cons. I'm currently using the loctite method but will probably install the aluminum protector for additional insurance.

actually i have a gimbal that comes apart so I tried it and with this protector on it stays together. i also found that i can slide the protector on from the other side and it seems to work the same, but it is out of the way of the stock guard. i agree the design is excellent, very light weight and you can toss the gimbal/camera on the ground and it won't come apart at that point.

Personally this is the best item i have found to protect this very fragile gimbal. the parts are so very weak that a hard landing can cause damage but this part prevent thîs one area of built in weakness. (as i look over at my 6 vision plus gimbal/cameras)

MapMaker53 said:
The weight of the bracket (sorry, I do not own a scale - but it's minimal) in no way impacts the gimbal or camera movment because it is attached to stationary half of the gimbal. The one gram (maybe?) only adds to the weight of the Phantom, itself, which is so negligible it isn't a factor at all. And it doesn't throw off any balance of any kind. I literally can barely feel it in my hand when I hold the little piece.

Just over 4g actually ... see the review at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGBlk1XP6Ao

Why does it take 4 minutes to say "Stick this bit of aluminium on the back of your gimbal"? Hahaha

Looks like a decent idea though, must order one.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4