Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Aluminium repair?

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by richmunton, Oct 11, 2015.

1. richmunton

Having just had a big crash on maiden voyage( 100s of hours experience with drones) flew behind a tree at the exact moment the sun appeared from behind a cloud and blinded my view of iPhone 6 Plus.. The bird did a good impression of a chainsaw!
    The p3p fell about 60 ft and ripped off the camera..
    I have ordered a new ribbon as this was ripped off , I have just stripped camera and gimble to remove old ribbon..
    My question is " has anyone successfully used an aluminium epoxy resin to weld two bits of broken aluminium??"..
    The top arm has sheared in two, I have heated the bent bit and it is now back in shape,, is it possible to fix the two parts with aluminium epoxy?? I have plenty of room to add adhesive either side of the break to help strengthen it.. ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444582049.214934.jpg ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444582067.715781.jpg . Hangs head in shame!

2. richmunton

Just had a look at Tbocks plastic yaw arm and it looks good. Anyone used the plastic replacement??? Think I might order one and temp fix mine while I wait for shipment from USA

3. Ken Taylor

I used it and it works very well!
    I also had to replace the ribbon cable, at the same time.
    Tested it the net day and its as good as new!

4. richmunton

Thanks ken, just taken p3p up with no gimble fitted and it still flys well think I am going to order the 3D printed arm

5. normr

DJI needs to reengineer that arm, it sounds like it's a very vulnerable part in any crash, it definitely needs at the least to be reinforced, but the best thing would be a complete redesign of the arm and enclose the cable in a sheath or raceway so it's not exposed

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app