Altitude

Reaction score
Hello...I was wondering about changing 400ft restriction on my P3p????
Also does 4k camera have a Zoom feature???
I'm flying In Northcentral Ia Above Fields being Harvested
Thanks

Hello...I was wondering about changing 400ft restriction on my P3p????
Also does 4k camera have a Zoom feature???
I'm flying In Northcentral Ia Above Fields being Harvested
Thanks

You can change it. I live in the US so I think legally I can only go 400' in altitude. The 4K camera does not have zoom. People here will tell you to get closer, that's your zoom.

Given the current environment, can you imagine the increased public backlash if the cameras had a zoom? I'd expect that restrictive legislation would be implemented quickly.

Given the current environment, can you imagine the increased public backlash if the cameras had a zoom? I'd expect that restrictive legislation would be implemented quickly.
First, you're not going to see any consumer drone with any serious tele zoom lens.
It's just not practical for several reasons.
But even if there was .. what's the problem?
There's no restriction or problem having very long lenses for any terrestrial camera.
You can buy and use very powerful telescopes and binoculars too.
Why do you see drone cameras as being so different?

Doesn't the dji inspire drone have a micro 4/3 camera with interchangeable lens meaning you can use a zoom lens with it.

First, you're not going to see any consumer drone with any serious tele zoom lens.
There's no restriction or problem having very long lenses for any terrestrial camera.

I dont think the poster does.
The media love jumping on anything new and "different".
They dont need much excuse as it is!
Then again I think most people believe a P3 will read your newspaper at 2 miles!!!

Reactions: QaaUz and Oso
You can change it. I live in the US so I think legally I can only go 400' in altitude. The 4K camera does not have zoom. People here will tell you to get closer, that's your zoom.

In the US you're only allowed 400'? I thought that was for certified pilots only...?

No I don't believe so. I think that applies to everyone, as far as I know.

In the US you're only allowed 400'? I thought that was for certified pilots only...?

The FAA recommends drones stay below 400 feet. VFR pilots fly at a minimum of 500, so theres a buffer zone of 100.

The phantom has the ability to go to 1500 feet, but thats not recommended. Also winds up there might be crazy!

I think in California they are talking about a minimum 400' height - how would that work?

Well if the minimum height for a quadcopter is 400 feet, I guess it would be illegal to have it on the ground?

I think you mean Maximum height of 400.

Yes, FAA guideline is no higher than 400' AGL, above ground level. The max limit in the app is 500 meters, or 1640'. I've used the max height several times to go high on top of high mountains, like ski slopes, monument valley, etc. Very fun time, the wind surfer really helps.

Last edited:
NOPE!!!
The crazy Californians are talking of that as a MINIMUM height!!!

So let me get this straight. Its even illegal to sell in a store because thats below 400 feet....

What?

OH is this to reduce noise? Like make CRUISING at 400?

No they are concerned about privacy so they think all drones should fly above 400' lol. Sometimes they say over 350' but some are saying over 500'
Look up the California drone trespass bill. Truly mental.

I don't, but you can't really be saying that you don't know the public has an issue with it. I'll assume that given your position on the forum you were simply playing devil's advocate. Even better, maybe you were just being sarcastic? Punking me?

Last edited:
Reactions: QaaUz
The bill in California that would make it trespassing if you flew BELOW 350' (not 400') over private property was illogical and was vetoed by the governor. It is not law.

Reactions: Oso
The bill in California that would make it trespassing if you flew BELOW 350' (not 400') over private property was illogical and was vetoed by the governor. It is not law.
That bill sure was illogical. In part, it assumed that property owners could determine with accuracy the altitude of a drone and its position over a point on the ground. That's hard enough to do for the operator, so the bill if signed would have certainly resulted in false accusations and litigation.
image.jpg

Doesn't the dji inspire drone have a micro 4/3 camera with interchangeable lens meaning you can use a zoom lens with it.
Not quite.
The Inspire has a new 4/3 camera that can take an interchangeable lens - yes.
But there is a choice of 3 lenses only (and 2 of those are different versions of the same lens).
You can't just slap any lens on the gimbal. The balance is quite delicate.
... Plus . there's no way to control the zoom.
When/if the Inspire or another consumer drone gets a zoom lens, it's going to be a wide angle zoom - not a tele-zoom.
There are a lot of problems like weight, balance, vibration and control that mean a tele-zoom is not going to be an option for a long time yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic