Altitude

Reaction score
I assume that the altitude limit of 400 feet is measured from where the Phantom took off.
Can you over ride the 400 foot limit?

Thanks,

Kemo

With the exception of the no fly zones.

I see the FAA just put in the 400ft limit, didn't it used to be 1000ft? that's what my P2V is set for... or have I been breaking the law all this time?

I see the FAA just put in the 400ft limit, didn't it used to be 1000ft? that's what my P2V is set for... or have I been breaking the law all this time?
Good question.

I believe small UAS maximum (FAA) altitude is 400' and manned aircraft minimum is 500' (unless taking off and landing). That provides a 100' safety buffer. Any licensed pilots here please correct me if I'm wrong.

USA
FAA Giidelines

Model aircraft operations are for hobby or recreational purposes only.

The FAA has partnered with several industry associations to promote Know Before You Fly, a campaign to educate the public about using unmanned aircraft safely and responsibly. Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:

• Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft
The statutory parameters of a model aircraft operation are outlined in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012) (PDF). Individuals who fly within the scope of these parameters do not require permission to operate their UAS; any flight outside these parameters (including any non-hobby, non-recreational operation) requires FAA authorization. For example, using a UAS to take photos for your personal use is recreational; using the same device to take photographs or videos for compensation or sale to another individual would be considered a non-recreational operation.

I believe small UAS maximum (FAA) altitude is 400' and manned aircraft minimum is 500' (unless taking off and landing). That provides a 100' safety buffer. Any licensed pilots here please correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is that in urban areas, manned aircraft must be at least 1000 feet minimum. It drops down to 500 feet minimum in a rural area, but the 500 feet is measured from the top of the highest visible structure. So if you're flying a Cessna and there is a 200 ft tower nearby, the minimum flight would be 700 feet from the surface. So this increases the "buffer." But what we all need to worry about is - not just hobby UAV pilots who choose to fly too high, but also small manned aircraft who choose to fly too low.

IIRC from what I read, manned aircraft can fly even lower in barren regions such as open desert or open water.

I'm not a pilot but that is exactly right.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl