Altitude reading off

Reaction score
I've noticed lately that my altitude is way off. I was standing looking at my p3a just over my head and the go app said the altitude was 54 feet. That is way off. Anyone else have this problem? I don't mind 5-10 feet, but this is scary. Anything that I may program preflight could be in trouble. Any ideas?

Yeah, that seems to be common.

The Phantom uses the barometer to estimate altitude.

Keep that in mind for long flights

The barometer on these P3's is a bit wonky. They are generally off. Land and power cycle the P3 and see. Might have to do it a few times.

I don't believe an IMU calibration will make any difference at all. I've had flights where it's accurate within a few feet and then flights where it's off by 20-30ft and then back to accurate agiain the next flight. That's just the way the barometer is.

Also don't forget where u take off from is ground zero so any elevation changes of the landscape will give silly altitude readings

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The barometer on these P3's is a bit wonky. They are generally off. Land and power cycle the P3 and see. Might have to do it a few times.

I don't believe an IMU calibration will make any difference at all. I've had flights where it's accurate within a few feet and then flights where it's off by 20-30ft and then back to accurate agiain the next flight. That's just the way the barometer is.
There is definitely a warmup time for an accurate barometer reading at the launch point. That is the critical reading that calibrates what 0 is, and all other elevation/altitude displays are relative to it. So, let it warm up first under battery power, and then recycle power, and you will get a 'fresh' and more accurate reading at the warmer temp, before you take off.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj