Altitude question

SG1

Reaction score
How does the P3P determine its elevation? Lets say im on a mountain higher than the 500 meters above sea level. Will the quad fly?

It only knows how high it is above the takeoff point.

The quad would even fly at the top of Mount Everest. DJI does not recommend flying over 6,000 m above sea level though.

So which is it? Im going to a mountain that is roughly 1700 feet above sea level. Would I be wasting my time taking it up there with me?

So which is it? Im going to a mountain that is roughly 1700 feet above sea level. Would I be wasting my time taking it up there with me?
You call that a mountain? My house sits at 10,194'. I assure you there will be no issues at that elevation.

You will be fine at 1700 feet. People fly these things at elevations way above that no problem. What is the concern?

Well the P3P has a height limit of 500 meters. I will be above that limit, so I want to know if it will fly or will it know its above that height and not fly.

I think you are just a little confused. All the above answers were correct. To be a little more clear perhaps. When you take off...the P3 zeros its barometer to your current altitude and measures changes above (or below) THAT altitude. The altitude of your home point is always ZERO, makes no difference how far up a mountain you are. The software then uses the barometer to measure altitude above home point (and limits it to 500M above that).

As stated above, the P3 has no idea the ground level it is flying over, or your altitude above sea level. In regards to height, it only knows the vertical distance above your Home Point, and considers that as its zero point, and limits travel to 500m above that.

So, the internal limit is 500m above your takeoff point. Wanna fly over a tall mountain? Just make sure you've taken off within 500m of its peak, and you're golden.

Reactions: SG1
Take as a reference the drawing. If the phantom is flying 2km away and I want it to descend / land just right there, what will the barometer think ? - mts?
altitude.jpg

Reactions: doomclam
Home point is zero metres.
Your Phantom expresses its altitude wherever it is relative to your home point.
Lower altitudes are negative, higher are positive.

How does the P3P determine its elevation? Lets say im on a mountain higher than the 500 meters above sea level. Will the quad fly?

There's video of a phantom 1 flying from mountain Everest at 14k feet. So a Phantom 3 with its improved power output and thrust can do better than a Phantom 1. Don't worry you will never be at a higher altitude than your Phantom 3 is actually capable of flying at.

I think you are just a little confused. All the above answers were correct. To be a little more clear perhaps. When you take off...the P3 zeros its barometer to your current altitude and measures changes above (or below) THAT altitude. The altitude of your home point is always ZERO, makes no difference how far up a mountain you are. The software then uses the barometer to measure altitude above home point (and limits it to 500M above that).

As stated above, the P3 has no idea the ground level it is flying over, or your altitude above sea level. In regards to height, it only knows the vertical distance above your Home Point, and considers that as its zero point, and limits travel to 500m above that.

So, the internal limit is 500m above your takeoff point. Wanna fly over a tall mountain? Just make sure you've taken off within 500m of its peak, and you're golden.

I have a similar issue, as I live on a rural canyon, approx 1900' and want to fly around, but there are elevations from my back patio / Helipad that may even exceed 1500' above my location, including the power lines. Not really sure. I am mostly concerned with a RTH, from a signal loss or can't figure out where it is. I can not find anywhere to set a minimum elevation for the return home? I don't want to hit a power line coming home, and I have one set just 60' above me to the right, and to the back. Easy to get over them from the patio, but worried about the RTH signal loss altitude.

I am mostly concerned with a RTH, from a signal loss or can't figure out where it is. I can not find anywhere to set a minimum elevation for the return home?
Go here:
i-JknPbjk-L.png

Click on Advanced Settings
i-9Bphh43-L.png

Click on Failsafe Mode and it brings you to here:
Note that RTH is always in metres regardless of your settings in the app.
i-qbFhqkX-L.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.