Altitude problems

leng-meng_, have you calibrated the vps as requested by the craft? Not sure you provided this information but probably yes. Because if the craft is asking calibration it means he detected something and should be done.

For vps, after calibration it should success this test ;

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
With regards to altitude, I understand rth doesn't record it and altitude variations are based on barometer fluctuations from start point qualified zero altitude (then barometer might glitch for x reasons - the problem reported here).

Make sure you let time to the bird to warm up and power it up at same location you start flying (one might power it up inside the house running air con and then go outside for flying- not ideal)

Find test evidence with other phantom but same concept.

Last edited:
You think they will have a fix for this, I have been going rounds with Dji and they act like there's no problem.

I do have exactly the same problem. I called the service and we agreed that the origin must be the barometer. So I had to send my P4 in and wait for the repair. Hope it comes back soon and I will keep you informed. By the way, I already opened a thread in the DJI forum about this.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app (living near Cologne, Germany)

Uses both barometric. Pressure and GPS to give altitude , baro pressure changes with temp of aircraft. As it warms up internally temp of electronics increases. That's why often when I take off it sees my ground height as 0, but upon return it sees it as a positive number; the warmth has caused the baro pressure to decrease slightly, causing the AC to assume a slightly higher altitude on the ground. Usually a few feet or so.

Uses both barometric. Pressure and GPS to give altitude....

Please provide a link to this other than some other post in a chat forum (cause I've read some and there is NO substantiation).

With published errors of 32m/75ft GPS is useless for elevation. NO ONE relies on this in real-time.

Uses both barometric. Pressure and GPS to give altitude , baro pressure changes with temp of aircraft. As it warms up internally temp of electronics increases. That's why often when I take off it sees my ground height as 0, but upon return it sees it as a positive number; the warmth has caused the baro pressure to decrease slightly, causing the AC to assume a slightly higher altitude on the ground. Usually a few feet or so.
If this is really the case, the barometer sits at the wrong position. Of course I only can measure correctly when outside air is used. But this is not real technical problem. Every aircraft has barometric altitude meters without failure. What you describe ist simply a construction failure.

If this is really the case, the barometer sits at the wrong position. Of course I only can measure correctly when outside air is used. But this is not real technical problem. Every aircraft has barometric altitude meters without failure. What you describe ist simply a construction failure.

It's a Chinese toy flying camera. Don't expect too much precision.

Top-shelf MCs cost more than 1.5 times what you paid for the whole flying machine.

So tell us what you know specifically about the barometer and it's placement that allows you to state it's "at the wrong position"?

Now guys lets not argue

I'm gonna try a factory reset then re calibrate

If not DJI will look at it I'm sure because tbh I might just swap for the phantom 3 pro and have some money back like I should of in the first place

Liam

It's not an argument.

There's a lot of BS on the web and we try to vet what we can here among ourselves.

Make a statement and be prepared to back it up if/when asked, or don't, it's 'your' credibility on the line.

I can second that, air pressure shouldn't be measured in closed quarters if you want anything reliable to happen --because of ambient or latent heat build up. Any aircraft I've heard of at least does it through a port or a vent of some type. Not sure how that's relevant though. Planes have had reliable barometers for a half century. I trust the barometer in my AAD and that's just a 2000$ barometer connected to a hook knife. I was happy to pay for it though because if it fires early I could be dead and late (or not at all) I will be dead so there isn't much room for error there. This isn't life or death though lol .. they don't need to go too crazy but they could have picked one that works :p

Last edited:
I quote what I learned when I made my pilot license.

"In aircraft, an aneroid barometer measures the atmospheric pressure from a static port *outside* the aircraft."

And here's some more information on this topic: Altimeter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app (living near Cologne, Germany)

Yea, it's a Chinese flying toy camera you're comparing this to.

Like I said before, don't expect too much precision form a Chinese toy whose entire cost is less than top-grade Master Controllers alone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20