Altitude over cliff and goes ending

Reaction score
Hi everyone with profoundly more experience than. I do not yet own a drone and have never posted on a forum before. Here we go... In Australia we are not allowed to take off in national parks. Do you know if the drone will sense where I am and stop me from flying? Also if I am on the ground at 200 meters from sea level and I fly the drone over a cliff will it drop downward to 123 meters an not be able to get home or will it remember the starting altitude an allow me to continue flying to 123 meters height from where it took off regardless of it being flown over a cliff. Sorry if these questions have been asked before. as mentioned I have never been on a forum before. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: Reed L
Tried already, though with no such height difference. It works, only keep in mind being far from the cliff edge you may loose rc signal.

the drone wont stop you flying in a national park but if your not allowed to fly there i wouldnt do it. drones have a slightly bad reputation from people outside the hobby due to people flying where they are not suppose to and crashing into crowds and building etc.

keep it safe

Reactions: deltamike
@ Julian Stephens
Firstly there are no laws or rules against flying in national parks in Australia.You can safely ignore whoever told you otherwise.I have flown in many national parks and often in the presence of rangers and none have ever said it's not allowed.In fact the local model aero club is right in the middle of a national park.

As mentioned above the altitude where you launch from is where the 400'/121 meters is measured from and the Phantom will not be able to tell it is suddenly higher if you fly over a cliff.You can fly lower than the cliff and launch point but keep the quad in sight so as not to lose signal.However you should make sure you have set the Return To Home altitude to take into account the lower altitude so the quad will ascend to the start height or above or it may crash into the cliff if RTH is activated.You will (hopefully) read more about that in the manual when you buy the Phantom.

Here's some links to the curent rules and regulations you will have to comply with to fly safely and legally.
Recreational unmanned flight - model aircraft and drones | Civil Aviation Safety Authority
Remotely piloted aircraft systems | Civil Aviation Safety Authority
Go back to the CASA site from time to time as the information there and the rules are changing often.Some big changes are set to take place in the next two or three months.

So buy the Phantom,READ THE MANUAL,read the rules and come back here if you have any more questions or problems there is always someone here that can help.
Be safe and have fun.

Reactions: easydiggin
you should make sure you have set the Return To Home altitude to take into account the lower altitude so the quad will ascend to the start height or above or it may crash into the cliff if RTH is activated
There is no need to account for this. When you fly below the edge of a cliff, the altitude will be negative in the DJI GO app. If you have the RTH altitude set to 60 meters (for example), your Phantom will fly up to 0 meters and then up to 60 meters.

You know I rewrote that paragraph about 5 times thinking something was off but still stuffed up,:oops:,thanks for the correction.

For what it's worth, DJI publishes a list of all the No-Fly-Zones programmed into their drones. DJI - Fly Safe: No Fly Zones

Using it will let you know whether or not you can fly in a particular area.
No offence jwt873 but for what it's worth,it's worth nothing.
I've said it before and I'll say it again,that NFZ map is as wrong and as inaccurate as it could be in relation to Australia.
There are major airports that are not mentioned at all and there are basic dirt strips in the desert that are described as fully manned,towered international airports,it's all but useless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic