Altitude limits

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering what the general altitude limit is of the phantom 4 pro??

Today I was out flying and decided to send her right up for a nice view of some coastal cliffs and beach below ... although it was quite high I was surprised when I got the audible warning "maximum altitude reached". I've seen videos/images taken a lot higher!!

So I'm wondering have I got a setting somewhere that is limiting me or is this just the norm for this model???

What is the height that the warning is coming on at. 500mtrs is the maximum height relative to where you took off from set by Dji. You may have a lesser number typed in the app at max flight altitude. Make sure the enable max distance slider is switched off.

Reactions: embayweather
The default setting in the GO app is 120 metres, which is the legal limit in many countries. You can alter this up to 500 metres in the app, but you should try and keep to 120m (400ft) above ground level.

Yes Ben it's setting is in the app as stated already, and CASA indicate 400ft/120 meters max height over controlled airspace (over major cities etc) here in Oz.

I'm wondering have I got a setting somewhere that is limiting me or is this just the norm for this model???
Here's the setting you need to change in DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Max-Altitude.PNG

Can you fly over major cities / urban areas legally in Oz?
Mostly no over our main cities, particularly in areas that are designated NFZ (e.g. Sydney Harbour and surrounds, airports) unless you are authorised etc.
Out in the less populous areas you are still obliged to fly according to CASA guidelines, but from my experience and in my area, as long as you are not a pest, commonsense prevails. I pick my time and fly accordingly and have never had a complaint or an issue with air traffic-actually there is very little and I can enjoy my hobby responsibly.

Reactions: Numone
Can you fly over major cities / urban areas legally in Oz?

As Tevek answered - recreationally over citie no - but I feel the CASA rules here are common sense and reasonable, aside from no night flying. One can't put others and things at risk, that's reasonable right? - so no flying over a city.
Each state / Territory here has differing rules regarding flying in parks - it's not well structured or coordinated nationally, and worse, very poorly communicated. - Try finding we're you CAN fly here and I'll bet there is lingering doubt sadly.

Reactions: Numone
Thanks guys I did have a brief look but I'm still finding the menu settings setup quite confusing [emoji848] that probably sounds really bad because I'm uneducated when it comes to flying these things but I'm working on it.

At the moment I'm currently in a fairly remote coastal town here in Western Australia so most of the Rules don't apply although there is a very tiny regional airport I'm nowhere near the no fly zone which is good.

I actually live in Perth and there's a fairly well known landmark on the coast which is in the no fly zone and right next to a naval base - yet there are hundreds of drone clips of this place on YouTube (it is a really beautiful part of the coast) but people don't seem to care or educate themselves on the actual law - but more importantly the actual safety of putting these things in the air near air traffic.

Thanks guys I did have a brief look but I'm still finding the menu settings setup quite confusing [emoji848] that probably sounds really bad because I'm uneducated when it comes to flying these things but I'm working on it.

At the moment I'm currently in a fairly remote coastal town here in Western Australia so most of the Rules don't apply although there is a very tiny regional airport I'm nowhere near the no fly zone which is good.

I actually live in Perth and there's a fairly well known landmark on the coast which is in the no fly zone and right next to a naval base - yet there are hundreds of drone clips of this place on YouTube (it is a really beautiful part of the coast) but people don't seem to care or educate themselves on the actual law - but more importantly the actual safety of putting these things in the air near air traffic.
Sounds like you are talking about the Rockingham area, I was based at HMAS Stirling and lived off base. All bets are off in that part of the world and the locals had a unique interpretation of the law.

Reactions: Ben01
At the moment I'm currently in a fairly remote coastal town here in Western Australia .

I'm on a property in the SE coastal area. Although I never go over 120M I reckon I've got an ideal spot for flying however I like. There is no-one around me and I doubt that I could even reach the boundary of the property without running out of battery - so you would think that it's "safe as houses". Yet I had a cropduster come over yesterday afternoon and he was nowhere near 120M high. Luckily I wasn't flying at the time, but just goes to show that you still need to be careful

Sounds like you are talking about the Rockingham area, I was based at HMAS Stirling and lived off base. All bets are off in that part of the world and the locals had a unique interpretation of the law.

Spot on mate - in particular point peron. Hundreds of YouTube drone videos of it but it is completely a no fly zone.

I'd give my left nut to go fly there but the rules are the rules and I'm sticking by them [emoji106]

Reactions: tevek
Spot on mate - in particular point peron. Hundreds of YouTube drone videos of it but it is completely a no fly zone.

I'd give my left nut to go fly there but the rules are the rules and I'm sticking by them [emoji106]
Fortunately I moved on some time go but saw some of the most anti social behaviour that I've ever seen, and that's saying something given where I've lived and worked. I used to have to chase them out of Careening Bay and argue with people who claimed that the crabs were for everyone and not just military people. All the while there is a massive yank destroyer sitting behind me and I'm trying to explain exclusion zones to them.
You and I will continue to do the right thing and play nicely.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen