Altitude issues on Phantom 2 Vision

Reaction score
I bought a Phantom 2 Vision a week ago, did all the upgrades to aircraft, controller and camera right out of the box. When flying, I can only reach altitudes of 200 - 250 FEET and "Controller Lost" and "Return Home" takes place. I even switched from CE to FCC and it made no difference. From my understanding, at minimum these are supposed to have range of 300 meters which is 984 FEET. I have also tested at multiple locations to rule out interference issues and no luck. Any ideas before I return for an exchange??

Always report your problem to the dealer. Not by phone but by email.
I had a problem also with my PV and they told me to wait until the firmware upgrade. If they told me this on the phone, i had nothing to prove that i had a problem and the update didn´t work for me so i was happy i saved the emails.
They gave me a new one in the and now everything is fine.

Good luck

I've already called and emailed the dealer with limited resolve so far. I went as far to call other dealers to see if there techs encountered this issue and one dealer said yes and they simply replaced it as DJI couldn't resolve. One dealer that I didn't even buy it from offered to send me a remote controller as some reports have been when people had to upgrade Remote Controller, the wires are so delicate that even if you are careful the stress on the wires can cause this issue. when separating the back to plug in USB. Hopefully the Remote Controller will help instead of having to box mine up, ship it and wait!

There was an upgrade to 1.08 yesterday but bad weather so can't test to see if resolved by some stroke of luck.

tedw123 said:
I bought a Phantom 2 Vision a week ago, did all the upgrades to aircraft, controller and camera right out of the box. When flying, I can only reach altitudes of 200 - 250 FEET and "Controller Lost" and "Return Home" takes place. I even switched from CE to FCC and it made no difference. From my understanding, at minimum these are supposed to have range of 300 meters which is 984 FEET. I have also tested at multiple locations to rule out interference issues and no luck. Any ideas before I return for an exchange??
Any chance you may have tugged on the black antenna cable when you cracked open the Transmitter case to do the upgrade? This cable is short, and somewhat fragile. Other users have reported it came loose when doing the upgrade.

The antenna wire is still connected inside antenna and wired firmly to control board with silicone?

I have the Same problem but above 400' . As soon as I go above 400' my control signal is intermittant. If stay at that altitude, it will eventually return to home.

That being said, can fly horzontally out beyond 1,000 feet EASY. I think DJI Phantoms have become 'smart' and do not allow flight above 400' because that is what FAA law states.

IF THIS IS the case that DJI has built in regualtion, this sucks for us pilots who fly in canyons and up hills.

Mr. Flats

I have the Same problem but above 400' . As soon as I go above 400' my control signal is intermittant. If stay at that altitude, it will eventually return to home.

That being said, can fly horzontally out beyond 1,000 feet EASY. I think DJI Phantoms have become 'smart' and do not allow flight above 400' because that is what FAA law states.

IF THIS IS the case that DJI has built in regualtion, this sucks for us pilots who fly in canyons and up hills.

Mr. Flats

MrFlats said:

Mr. Flats
Where is your white Tx antenna pointing? It should be perpendicular to the Phantom for greatest range - not pointed directly at it. If the Phantom is above and in front of you - the antenna should probably be pointed back at your forehead - with no phones, tablets, visors or anything else touching or blocking it of course.

Good tip I came across the other day - if you ensure the range extender is facing your Vision then the antenna should be parallel with the front face of the extender. That way if you are high and close, you need to tip the range extender back - and should follow suit with the antenna...

I seem to be having the same problem. At about 250' in altitude RTH kicked in for me two times last weekend. I bet it's a problem with the orientation of the antenna and I plan to experiment next time I fly to confirm the hypothesis. But, it's a little disconcerting if it's that picky.

-- Roger

I appreciate all feedback, but have tried moving antenna around. The antenna is not as sensitive as to make the craft go from 200 feet to 1000 feet, at least not on my craft.

MrFlats said:

Mr. Flats

There are no such restrictions on altitude. Also I've had mine over 400 feet in the air after the new firmware update and I've brought it over 600 feet up,

With appropriate antenna orientation and with the aircraft a little bit away from your position horizontally (about 100ft should give you a good angle) you shouldn't have trouble getting to 1000ft vertically (see my penultimate video where I did exactly that). If you have changed to FCC mode, have checked the aircraft receiver antennas for damage, have updated the Tx and Rx appropriately and have fresh batteries in the Tx and still can't get more than 400ft then I would suggest you get hold of your dealer to arrange to swap out your Tx as defective...

You should be able to maintain control within about 1000ft in any direction without too many issues.

I did some testing today of the "Control Signal Lost" issue that I am having. I took the P2V to the local schoolyard. I found that as soon as I took it up to about 250 feet, I got the warning message. But, when I flew the 'copter away from me at about 100 feet, I was able to go 500 feet (the farthest I could go in the schoolyard) and the signal never dropped. So, I flew it about half-way back to about 250 feet away. Then I slowly increased the altitude. I got it up to over 300 feet and there was no "Control Signal Lost" message.

So, I think the problem may be that some part of the 'copter is blocking the signal when the Phantom is almost directly overhead. It may be affected by the orientation of the Phantom, but I didn't think about testing that until I got back home.

See my blog post for more details at:

http://blog.payloadbay.com/?p=73

-- Roger

It's the antenna orientations. The weakest signal emanates from the tip of the tx antenna, and the weakest point of reception on the aircraft is from directly below - if the Vision is directly overhead you need to be tilting the Tx antenna so it's pointing somewhat away from the vertical to improve signal transmission. Better yet, as you have seen, try to avoid flying directly above yourself at anything other than a modest height.

And you cracked open the remote control and updated the fw? This totally sounds like fw.... You don't have to go up to test range either, you can just fly away to test... I've gone 864 feet away at 70 feet up.... I had the same problems till the first fw update..

jimre said:
MrFlats said:

Mr. Flats
Where is your white Tx antenna pointing? It should be perpendicular to the Phantom for greatest range - not pointed directly at it. If the Phantom is above and in front of you - the antenna should probably be pointed back at your forehead - with no phones, tablets, visors or anything else touching or blocking it of course.

I agree and practice all that. My firmware is up to date as well. This is what happens to me. I can fly up right above me or far out, or away from me, doesn't matter. I can be a 395' high AGL. AS SOON AS I fly above 400', I get an intermittant control signal loss, if I come back down to 390, 395, 380, whatever, the P2V is happy, I breech 400' AGL and the P2V gets pissed off again. If I push it and keep going up to 600, 800, even made it to 1100 feet once before it RTH on its own intuition. Frankly its easier for it to RTH at that altitude anyway. It takes a long time for it to come home safely. But its fun to watch.

However, I can fly out horizonally at to 1100, 1200 feet and the P2V is cool with it. But soon as I go up above 400' AGL, it get pissed. I think it is governed. Frankly, above 400' is a pin prick in the sky, but what happens when I'm flying up a canyon, or steep hill? I have REAL problem. Where live in canyon land, This flaw will cause a crash and long hike to try to retreive my P2V.

I've contacted DroneFly two weeks ago and have not received a reply. I sent them a mail again last Friday, still no reply. Thats Pretty Bad Service.

Thanks guys! and Merry Christmas.

Jeff

I found a dealer that was nice enough to send me another Remote Controller to try with my aircraft as the dealer I bought it from was wanting me to box and ship everything back to analyze. Glad he did as I reached altitudes that were above 200 feet but not to exceed the legal altitude of 400 feet of course, so it was simply all to do with Remote Controller. I noticed the new Remote Controllers on DJI website have USB access now where you do not have to open it up to do updates. Apparently, even if you are extremely careful when you open to do update, any tension on wires can cause this issue.

MrFlats said:
. . . I think DJI Phantoms have become 'smart' and do not allow flight above 400' because that is what FAA law states...Mr. Flats

Just for the record, there is no such FAA "law" or "regulation" that limits the altitude one may fly a model aircraft. The 1981 FAA Advisory Circular 91-57 is nothing more that a "recommendation" and is not enforceable as a law or regulation.

In addition, the 2007 Policy Statement that supposedly "clarified" the FAA's position on the 1981 Advisory Circular is just that, a "Policy Statement." An agency's "policies" are also not "laws," and are also not enforceable.

Bottom line is that at this writing, there are no FARs whatsoever concerning the operation of a R/C model aircraft.

(Disclaimer: I am an attorney, but this is not intended to be, nor should it be considered legal advice. No one reading this is my client, and I will not represent anyone reading this in any legal matter. Rather it is simply my personal interpretation of the state of the law with regard to the FAA regulations and R/C model aircraft.)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj