Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Altitude GPS flying tip for Newbies like me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johnj, Mar 31, 2013.

1. johnj

This forum has been very helpful to me, so I'd thought I'd contribute a little something back that I've learned.
    TIP:
    If you are a newbie like me, pick an altitude and stay with it.
    ANY maneuver can cause the phantom to fall or rise in Altitude AT FIRST (generally fall, particularly if it is a fast maneuver)
    HOWEVER, once you finish a maneuver the phantom will try to correct for any loss or gain in altitude.

I had been fighting this myself. I'd would move forward fast or turn, and see the phantom drop, and I would try to correct for it myself. I've learned this makes things worse because I spend most of my time correcting for altitude, instead of getting it where I want it.

So: Set your altitude high enough to allow for some drop as you maneuver, and leve it alone.

2. Bart1

Thanks for the tip, John. I was doing the same thing - adjusting for altitude loss and then trying to get back to where I wanted to be after every move. This should make it way easier.

On another note, I took mine up into the hills the other day and ended up running into a tree at about 60 or 80 feet up. Fortunately the branches slowed it's fall (and it didn't get stuck way up there!) and aside from a few smudges, everything was fine...or so I thought...

I packed everything up and moved back down to a meadow with no trees. As I was flying it I noticed that the camera was swinging wildly around so I brought it home to find that one of the stock camera mount screws had fallen completely out and the other one was more than halfway loose. A few more minutes and I might have lost my Hero3!

I'll be looking for a more solid camera mount (or at least applying some LockTite to the mount screws.) I have video of the "crash" if anyone is interested. (Just need to learn how to edit and reduce file sizes first...)

3. johnj

4. TickTock

Note to self: Add safety tether to my Hero3.

5. Bart1

Thanks - again - John. I didn't know that loctite would do that to plastic.

6. pwright

The screws that come with the Phantom for fastening the camera mount have thread locking compound on them. Did you wipe it off?