Altitude errors in Maps Made Easy

I am still looking for any viable explanation for the wild error in the elevation map created in Maps Made Easy from the images from one of my P3As. today, I flew all 3 using the same mission. Each aircraft has a dedicated controller, but I use the same iPad on all of them. Each is running the same versions of firmware. For 2 of the maps, the processed heights were within less than a foot of the height that I directly measured. On the third, the same heights were only 55-58% of the true height (reported average height AGL was off by the same percentage). Every inspection that I have done of the exif data shows that all are recording the same info and doing it correctly. If anyone has any ideas, I would much appreciate hearing form you.

I am still looking for any viable explanation for the wild error in the elevation map created in Maps Made Easy from the images from one of my P3As. today, I flew all 3 using the same mission. Each aircraft has a dedicated controller, but I use the same iPad on all of them. Each is running the same versions of firmware. For 2 of the maps, the processed heights were within less than a foot of the height that I directly measured. On the third, the same heights were only 55-58% of the true height (reported average height AGL was off by the same percentage). Every inspection that I have done of the exif data shows that all are recording the same info and doing it correctly. If anyone has any ideas, I would much appreciate hearing form you.
Are you willing to upload and share your photos? I'd be happy to run them through Pix or Photoscan to see what they come out with. Are you using GCPs with the data? It really sounds like there is something wrong with MME's processing.

Glad to share some photos. I'll load them into Dropbox and post a link. Problem seems to be more with the aircraft. I have 3 P3As (don't ask, it's a long story). One gives me these error and the other 2 work ok. Get the same results in Drone Deploy. Probably be tomorrow for the pic. Thanks up front for the help.

Problem seems to be more with the aircraft.
I would take a long look at the exif data and make sure that the camera parameters are being exported correctly. I don't have any experience with MME, but I know that we have seen weird results when the focal length isn't read properly or the sensor width is incorrect; things like that. Also, are you using ground control at all? Let me know if when you get things online and I'll take a look!

Not using GCPs, but all of the measurements in the ortho map (distances, location, 2D size and shape, etc.) are all looking good and similar between all of the aircraft. My reading of the exif data sows that everything is as it should be. Heres a link to a Dropbox folder where I just loaded 4 photos.
Dropbox - MME Test Photos
Photo A_1 is the ground reference photo from the bird that give me good elevation maps. A_2 is one of the photos taken at altitude as part of the mission. Photo B_1 is the same reference photo from the bird that gives me compressed elevations and B_2 is a sample mission photo. Really interested in anything you might find.
Thanks again.

Really interested in anything you might find.
Well, nothing looks too out of whack... Your elevations are showing up about 150 feet off from the USGS topo, but that's not out of the ordinary. My only guess is that MME is using feet instead of meters, but I think you would have noticed that. Everything else looks identical between to two P3s, so I really can't explain why. It sounds like a MME issue, but it doesn't make sense why it's only on one of the 3 P3s. I guess you'll have to throw that one in the trash. ;)

Well, nothing looks too out of whack... Your elevations are showing up about 150 feet off from the USGS topo, but that's not out of the ordinary. My only guess is that MME is using feet instead of meters, but I think you would have noticed that. Everything else looks identical between to two P3s, so I really can't explain why. It sounds like a MME issue, but it doesn't make sense why it's only on one of the 3 P3s. I guess you'll have to throw that one in the trash. ;)
I couldn't find anything amiss either. And I get similar results if I run the images through Drone deploy. There's a 'bit loose' somewhere in the exif file, but I'll be danged if I can figure it out. Yep, bird is totally useless may as well scrap it

There's a 'bit loose' somewhere in the exif file
And just to confirm, you've flown several flights with that P3 and you get the vertical warping each time, right? I also wanted to point out a handy tool for reviewing flight locations and exif data: GeoSetter. It will put all of your photos onto a map and you can rapidly view all of your exif data in an Explorer-like window.

Reactions: BigAl07
And just to confirm, you've flown several flights with that P3 and you get the vertical warping each time, right? I also wanted to point out a handy tool for reviewing flight locations and exif data: GeoSetter. It will put all of your photos onto a map and you can rapidly view all of your exif data in an Explorer-like window.
Yeah, every map that I have generated wit this bird has the same problem. neither of the other 2 do! If the weather cooperates this weekend, going to try one more time with some GCPs.

Did you try this with GCP points? Just tried a mission with GCP points using MME and they cancelled the job and said I shouldn't use it with a DJI... I have similar elevation issues. Although, when I download the xyz.txt file, the elevation is very close. Something is off with MME

Did you try this with GCP points? Just tried a mission with GCP points using MME and they cancelled the job and said I shouldn't use it with a DJI... I have similar elevation issues. Although, when I download the xyz.txt file, the elevation is very close. Something is off with MME
Appears that I got it fixed, although I'm not sure if I believe the cure! As I said, all 3 P3As were running the same firmware. This was ture but with a twist. On the 2 that were giving me good elevation maps, I had upgraded the firmware. On the giving bad elevations, it came with that version already loaded. On a whim, I flash upgraded the third with the in file that I had. It worked!!!! No idea why they would tell you not to use GCPs. Their own tutorials, etc. recommend it. Anyway, I'm getting good APS from the images off all 3 birds now. My free trial on DD has expired, so haven't checked if the fix works on their maps yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj