Altitude drops during flight...

G-K

Reaction score
My new P4 can't keep itself at same height during flight. For example it's flight altitude drops significantly after turning left, right or back. Then I have to push left stick up to not to touch the ground and crash. That happens especially flying low around 3-4 metres height.

Anyone faces that? Any idea how to fix that? Should I bring it back and get another one?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: robdigphot
Hi
Ok is the DJI firmware in both the aircraft and RC up to date
Have you done a compass calibration at the site where you are flying
Have you got at least 6 satellites locked in before take off
Are you in GPS mode., if so does she do the same thing in Atti mode
Are you flying near to large metal structures, Electricity Pylons, or Cell tower transmitters
Is the Birds VPS turned off (check this in Go app).
Waylander

Thanks for the recommendations...

Firmware in both aircraft & RC up to date, compass calibration has been done, aircraft fly approx. 16 satellites locked. I flied in GPS mode. I fly with my P3P in same area without any issue...

I will check whether VPS is turned off tomorrow...

What kind of battery temps are you seeing?
Wouldn't built up heat in the shell alter barometer and thus altitude readings?

The IMU and VPS measure the height.

Have you done an IMU calibration ?

I believe the problem is the vision system on the bottom of the craft. It's not broken, it's just how it operates. Try flying around at 100 feet and see if the altitude changes as badly (it shouldn't).

I have notice that when I first head off after my initial hover stability test it does seem to drop a bit. My launch location has been at the upper level of a park & the terrain drops off to a lower level as I fly out. VPS & the terrain may have something to do with the drop on my end? Once out over level terrain or water it doesn't seem to occur.

I have not done an IMU calibration yet on it. I will be doing that today and will see if it helps. Not too big of a deal though it would be nice if it stayed put.

I think it would be "too big of a deal" if that happens while you fly low over water.
I haven't faced that sort of issue with my P3P. Hope IMU calibration can fix it today...

IMU and compass were calibrated successfully today but P4 can't keep itself at same height. I think there is an issue on sensors.

So I am going to bring the P4 back to Apple Store and get another one. Hope I can get similar flight times with the new one.

IMU and compass were calibrated successfully today but P4 can't keep itself at same height. I think there is an issue on sensors.

So I am going to bring the P4 back to Apple Store and get another one. Hope I can get similar flight times with the new one.

Keep your battery as an "inconvience"

Reactions: dirtybum

Curious if the new one works better.

Mine dips a lot when I yaw left or right.

I've had to P4's and I both drop when I accelerate. I fly over the ocean a lot, sometimes at low altitude and I'v never had a problem with my P3's. I could see the P4 going right into the ocean if I'm not more careful.

I am having similar problem, especially when I first take off. But also as I fly around 15 feet off the ground. It will just start dropping a foot or two. Very scary. My P3P doesn't exhibit this issue in the same location. Done IMU calibration a couple times. Compass everytime before I take off.

Just ordered a replacement from Apple. It's coming from a different location than my first one. I will let everyone know if problem persists. I have also been having the squeaky gimble problem.

Many people flying craft with the Pixhawk flight controller notice a similar phenomenon. It has been attributed to a pressure change fooling the barometer, making the controller think it is higher than it really is. This is more pronounced as the speed increases creating a larger pressure change; hardly noticeable at walking speed and very pronounced a high speed. Don't know it this is the same issue with the P4. Is it speed dependent?

Reactions: dirtybum
I went to Apple Store and got another P4 this morning. Then I went to a field to fly (after firmware updates and IMU $ Compass calibration) to check if the new one has same altitude dropping issue. Unfortunately the answer is YES.

It is basically as same as the previous one. As soon as accelerate and I turn left or right, altitude drops and P4 goes forward but down as well even I don't touch left stick on controller. At that time I have to push left stick up to not to crash. That happens especially in Sport Mode and I cannot imagine I flying low over water.

Many people flying craft with the Pixhawk flight controller notice a similar phenomenon. It has been attributed to a pressure change fooling the barometer, making the controller think it is higher than it really is. This is more pronounced as the speed increases creating a larger pressure change; hardly noticeable at walking speed and very pronounced a high speed. Don't know it this is the same issue with the P4. Is it speed dependent?
Yes it is speed dependent. I can notice much more on Sport Mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl