Altitude and distance limitations- Function of DJI Go or aircraft firmware?

Reaction score
Curious and after some searching, I haven't found an answer...

Are the flight Altitude and distance (from controller) limitations of 500m a function of the DJI GO app or the aircraft firmware?

Would using Litchi instead of Go allow for distances farther from the controller (altitude limit is not so much an issue)?

I see videos of nice long distance flights, would like to do similar over open country, scenic areas. Seems a 500m distance from the controller is a bit limiting when the thing is supposed to have a mile or more range.

Firmware.

I have only flown up about 300 meters. But from my understanding the simulator will max out your altitude at 1600 ft. But there is not distance cap in the firmware. I've flown out 1.3 miles away from and and turned back because I'm still new and breaking in my batteries.

So the limitations are going up, not sideways.

Reactions: Richard in ky
It's controlled by firmware. All 3rd party apps now have that same firmware limitation. There is no distance limitation, only altitude.

500 meters = 1640 ft

Curious and after some searching, I haven't found an answer...

Are the flight Altitude and distance (from controller) limitations of 500m a function of the DJI GO app or the aircraft firmware?

Would using Litchi instead of Go allow for distances farther from the controller (altitude limit is not so much an issue)?

I see videos of nice long distance flights, would like to do similar over open country, scenic areas. Seems a 500m distance from the controller is a bit limiting when the thing is supposed to have a mile or more range.

Don't get me started...

Reactions: aka1ceman
Yesterday for the first time I flew to 950m from me, so there is not a horizontal restriction to 500m.

The only way to see if it is indeed firmware or app limited is to fly without the GO app. Do two tests:

1. Take off in GPS mode without GO app and fly up as high as you can for x minutes. I don't know what x is, but someone can calculate approximately how long it would take to reach 500m, then just go a couple minutes more. Have the video running, just in case the flight recorder not functioning.

If above test reveal 500m limit, go to test 2.

2. Cover aircraft top with aluminum foil and repeat test 1.

Extra test for fun:

3. If test #1 passes (no firmware height limit), connect GO app while you're above 500m and see how the program reacts.

Who's up to the challenge? Well call this the tcmalker's challenge.

Reactions: D4T_PoM
3. If test #1 passes (no firmware height limit), connect GO app while you're above 500m and see how the program reacts.

Poof..... DJI makes your bird explode sending gimbalits and uavbits everywhere..... lol

Ok, I must have misread the screen. I am ok with the altitude limit, thought they now had a horizontal limit as well.

Another interesting test and easier to perform:

Activate beginner mode in GO app, say altitude limit 100ft, distance limit 100ft. Fly your bird to edge of limit, either altitude or distance. Your bird will not be able to go pass the limit. Now disconnect the USB cable and attempt to go past limit. For extra credit, if u manage to go pass limit, connect USB again and report your findings. This should be an easy and safe test, but I rather have you try the tcmalker's challenge.

That's coming my friend... You best believe it.
Or not ...
Don't you think that if DJI was going to restrict things as much as you believe, that the range of the P3 would be the first thing they would have changed?
Or maybe the 500 metre altitude limit?
If DJI wanted to keep you from drifting into FAA controlled airspace , why do they allow you to go 500 metres?
I keep hearing about how DJI is going to take all freedom away but there is absolutely no evidence to back it up.
All I hear are trivial things that may well be justified by valid technical reasons.
If the gloom about DJI's intention to restrict your flying was justified, you wouldn't be able to fly the way the P3 does.

Looking at the way things are and DJI's stated intentions with GEO, it's quite clear that DJI are happy to let the pilot in command exercise responsibility for the way they fly rather than locking them into fixed restrictions.

Reactions: Chris P Duck
They will slowly take your freedom, a little at a time. They have no choice because Obama and the govment are making them.
This is complete supposition with (surprise) no evidence to back it up.
And FYI the USA is only part of the market that DJI sell to
Contrary to (some) popular opinion, there is a lot more to the world than just what the US controls.

I did a test of my own the other day and regarding a restriction that DJI has on their app. I found that Litchi did not have the same certain restriction. I dont want to disclose it here (and want to verify it a 2nd time) but when time allows, I try to do some testing.

I did a test of my own the other day and regarding a restriction that DJI has on their app. I found that Litchi did not have the same certain restriction. I dont want to disclose it here (and want to verify it a 2nd time) but when time allows, I try to do some testing.
Will await patiently for your findings.

Hi, can you PM me your findings?

I just want to test it 1 more time so I know for sure. Its not ground breaking but it is a step.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31