Altimeter inaccurate, Blurry left side, DJI support

Reaction score
I've only had my PV for a few days and a few flights now. It seems to fly quite nicely but there are a few things that are troubling me and perhaps some folks here could give me advice:

Problem 1: The barometric altimeter does not seem to be functioning properly. A couple of times it seemed accurate, but usually when I start up the PV and let it get warmed up it registers a negative altitude, anywhere between -3ft to -100ft. I just took a test flight in my front yard and it registered -89.2ft on the ground and -65.9ft when I took it about 20-30ft above the rooftops. I've tried searching all over this forum and elsewhere for anyone else having this problem but I've had no luck. Is this something that can be calibrated in the Assistant software or is it possibly a faulty altimeter? (Calibrating the compass does not seem to change this.)
Here is a screenshot of the app on my iPhone:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1921655/photo 2.PNG

Problem 2: It seems that I have the "blurry/soft left side of photo" problem that others have reported. Do these photos verify this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1921655/DJI00002.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1921655/DJI00003.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1921655/DJI00036.JPG

Problem 3: Assuming that I have a defective camera and need it or the PV replaced, how should I best go about arranging this through DJI? I did not buy this from a "dealer", but instead purchased it directly through the DJI.com website. I've read numerous accounts on this forum about how DJI support & customer service is not that great. (I also didn't receive my free 2nd battery even though I purchased this on 12/18). Can anyone suggest the best way to contact them to get these potential issues resolved quickly?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I got the blurrys too. I don't know this as fact but you may have a hard time getting one that doesn't have it. I think more people have it and just don't notice it. You do have to kind of look for it. But once you know its there......... :cry:

My camera is great, but I am having the same issue with the altitude reading. I read about 35ft while setting on the ground. If I take it up high (300 - 400 ft) it even gets worse, yesterday it came back reading 95ft while on the ground. I have searched this forum and others for a way to reset this to zero but I cannot find anything.

Is there a simple way to reset this? I've done all the calibrations for the compass, even looked through the software for a setting but see nothing.

Thanks in advance!

I've flown my Phantom about 8 times. Suddenly today, I'm having the same altimeter problem as other folks. First time today it was reading about 3 feet while sitting on the ground. This afternoon I took it out again and it's reading negative values.

CaptainAustin said:
I've flown my Phantom about 8 times. Suddenly today, I'm having the same altimeter problem as other folks. First time today it was reading about 3 feet while sitting on the ground. This afternoon I took it out again and it's reading negative values.

Your Phantom is returning to hell.

I've got the same altimeter problem - reading a couple of metres out when sitting at the home point before flight. I recall it was OK for the first few flights - I have only done about 15 flights since initial on Dec 25. My P2V firmware is all up to date, my machine is an earlier one with the USB inside the transmitter.

My worry is that if has to return home in failsafe mode it will not know where the home point was in the vertical, and may start "feeling" for the ground too high or not at all.

The altimeter readings are relative, not absolute. Home altitude might be plus or minus,
depending upon the barometric pressure. But, since the pressure varies from day to day,
the indicated Home altitude will also vary. Taking off at 10,000 feet, might show up as 9500 or
10500 feet, depending upon the current barometric pressure. Assuming the local pressure does
not vary much during a short flight, the Return To Home (RTH) altitude should be fairly accurate.
However, if the pressure is rising or falling rapidly during a flight, it would probably be best
for the pilot to take over the landing phase.

I am assuming that the P2V does not reset the altitude to zero when it powers On.

I have the same blur on the right hand side. Any answers short of return.

Interesting issue you are all having as it relates to the barometer. Sorry that I don't have any answers for you, but could you all inform the forum what firmware you are currently running, and did this problem show up after an update, or??? This will definitely be taken into account when someone more helpful than myself looks into this further.

Rich

Weird that barometer problem - haven't seen it. I certainly had the out of focus right edge problem though and determined that return/replacement was the only option. I sent to to the dealer (All e RC - bought on Amazon) on Dec 18, received a replacement on Dec 28 - haven't been home yet to try it out. Many people have this problem. See here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4837

Richhealth said:
Interesting issue you are all having as it relates to the barometer. Sorry that I don't have any answers for you, but could you all inform the forum what firmware you are currently running, and did this problem show up after an update, or??? This will definitely be taken into account when someone more helpful than myself looks into this further.

Rich

I upgraded all firmware about 10 days ago. I'm running the latest firmware on everything (1.0.1.19 and 1.08). The problem did not start immediately after the upgrade. I only noticed it in the last couple of days. I'm calling the local camera shop that I purchased it from today to see what they're response is.

Several weeks ago, right after I purchased it, I submitted a contact form on DJI's site to ask about firmware upgrades. I never received any response. Fortunately, I live in Austin, TX, so if I get desperate I can walk right into their local office.

Just called the dealer, Precision Camera here in Austin. They said that DJI is typically pretty unresponsive to them as well, in terms of never responding to emails, calls, etc. They said that repairs were being handled right here in Austin, but as of a week ago, DJI is now having them ship defective units to California and they repair them there. They said I have to pay $28 (US) shipping and they have no idea how long it will take. They said DJI has been fairly good with doing repairs and getting them back, they just suck at communication.

I asked about the warranty and they said "DJI doesn't actually have a warranty", but so far they've been good about repairing defective units and getting them back. I feel a little bit like an idiot for assuming such an expensive product would automatically come with a warranty and not even bothering to ask about it when I bought it. At present, it doesn't seem like it's an issue according to Precision Camera, since they are repairing defective units at no charge (except for shipping).

Richhealth said:

Rich

I updated to the latest 1.08 firmware right after unboxing and noticed the altimeter problems on the first flight. A couple times it seemed to become more accurate as the flight progressed. For example, when I took off it would register -30ft, but then after several minutes in I would be hovering at around 20-30 feet and it would read somewhere between 20-30 feet. So it seems that the altimeter accuracy varies during operation. What worries me most is that I would need to initiate a return-to-home and the inaccurate altimeter will cause the Phantom to crash into the ground or do something unexpected.

During a descent on a RTH the Vision will just keep going down nice and gently until it touches the ground, it descends at the same rate at the top of descent as it does at the bottom, so no issues there - it will keep on coming until it touches down on something solid. What I suspect it might impact is the accuracy of the 20m safety height before it comes home...

Pull_Up said:
During a descent on a RTH the Vision will just keep going down nice and gently until it touches the ground, it descends at the same rate at the top of descent as it does at the bottom, so no issues there - it will keep on coming until it touches down on something solid. What I suspect it might impact is the accuracy of the 20m safety height before it comes home...

Awe man... I just dropped it off at the dealer to send back to DJI thinking the altimeter was a real problem. If this is true, I don't need to send it back.

CaptainAustin said:
Pull_Up said:

Awe man... I just dropped it off at the dealer to send back to DJI thinking the altimeter was a real problem. If this is true, I don't need to send it back.

It still is a "real problem" even if it won't cause a crash. It is supposed to provide a relatively accurate altitude via the smartphone app. Having FPV and telemetry on my smartphone was THE deciding factor for me when I bought the Phantom 2 Vision. I contacted DJI in Los Angeles today and they are having me send it back for camera repair/replacement. I'm happy that I only have to ship it back to LA and not China. They downplayed the altimeter problem and said that after I got it back they would walk me through steps to "reset the altimeter". They were kind of vague regarding what that meant, saying I needed to set a home point and have at least 7 satellites. Before I sent it back I went for one more flight. Got some great photos (but all of them were blurry on the left side). I had 9 satellites and at take-off and landing the altimeter registered between -35ft and -50ft.

With Mac support for the Assistant app out today and the Adobe DNG RAW support coming soon, I can't wait to get my Phantom back, hopefully with a better lens and altimeter. :)

Please post something when you find out about the altimeter "reset". I'm a little doubtful that there is such a thing. I'm sure the "reset" happens when you power up. Those BAs are just a sensor that output voltages based on pressure. My guess is that they use the voltage it puts out when you power up as the reference voltage for zero altitude, which is why you have to power up sitting on the ground. My bet is that it all works great except when you use cheap internal Chinese components with poor quality control. QC is a really common problem with Chinese products.

I am impressed that you actually got someone on the phone though. Even my dealer says they have a really hard time getting anyone to respond in person. I've decided not to send mine in now, I called my dealer and told them not to send it that I would come pick it up. I'm going to mess around with it the next several days and see what I think.

That's exactly my fear as well, I can do the math to subtract the initial "altitude" from what it reads in the air, bit in a RTH situation and it's supposed to go to 66ft and it goes only to say 15 or 20 feet because the altimeter is wrong will cause obstical issues. I too am VERY interested if the altimeter can be reset as well. Please please post!

Thanks BTW for all the responses.

CaptainAustin said:
Please post something when you find out about the altimeter "reset". I'm a little doubtful that there is such a thing.

I wanted to follow up on this, in case anyone has to ship a P2V back for camera or altimeter problems:

I must admit that the customer service I received from DJI Los Angeles was very good. I shipped it to them on Dec. 30, It arrived on a Friday, Jan 3. They called me back on Tues. Jan 7 to say that it was fixed and I received it a week later. Each time I spoke to them I was dealing with the same person. Over the phone he didn't really go into detail as to how they fixed the altimeter, but when I got an email with re-binding instructions they said "We replaced the defective camera and flight computer for accurate altimeter readings." So, I'm guessing that fixing the altimeter problem was more serious than simply "resetting" something.

The new camera is much better. But, I dare say that now there is a slight blurriness on the right side. However, it is nowhere near as bad as the first left-side-soft camera I had. And from what I understand, a certain amount of edge-softness is to be expected from inexpensive fisheye lenses like this. I find that after doing a lens correction and small crop most of this softness is mitigated.

The altimeter now functions as it is supposed to and I've take a handful of flights without any problems. :)

mikeboruta said:
CaptainAustin said:
Please post something when you find out about the altimeter "reset". I'm a little doubtful that there is such a thing.

The new camera is much better. But, I dare say that now there is a slight blurriness on the right side. However, it is nowhere near as bad as the first left-side-soft camera I had. And from what I understand, a certain amount of edge-softness is to be expected from inexpensive fisheye lenses like this. I find that after doing a lens correction and small crop most of this softness is mitigated.

The altimeter now functions as it is supposed to and I've take a handful of flights without any problems. :)

Yep I have the blurry edges (both sides!) as well. I really doubt there are any vision cameras out there that don't have it. It seems an inherent problem with the type of lense they are using so not sure where I should bother exchange it as I'm sure the replacement won't be very different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4