Altimeter for your bird

Reaction score
I was watching a video and this guy had an altimeter strapped to his quad. I thought that was cool. I can only guess how high I fly and I am probably way off. I found this....ALTIMETER 1. It's $50. I have only read good things about this unit. Supposed to be very accurate. It weighs about 9 grams and has its own rechargeable battery. Now I know many of you already have altitude readout on your birds but also many have complained they are not accurate. I have P1s and no such data. They also have a 2 and 3 version. Some are made for rockets and not suitable for quads or planes. Worth a look. I should have mine Monday. I'll give a review if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 2-27-2016 Altimeter 1.JPG
    2-27-2016 Altimeter 1.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 457
Curious to see/hear your findings.

But it's still using barometric pressure so it comes down to sensor quality, sampling, signal filtering, and compensation.

I would expect better results than the OEM DJI since it is a 'dedicated' device.

I was watching a video and this guy had an altimeter strapped to his quad. I thought that was cool. I can only guess how high I fly and I am probably way off. I found this....ALTIMETER 1. It's $50. I have only read good things about this unit. Supposed to be very accurate. It weighs about 9 grams and has its own rechargeable battery. Now I know many of you already have altitude readout on your birds but also many have complained they are not accurate. I have P1s and no such data. They also have a 2 and 3 version. Some are made for rockets and not suitable for quads or planes. Worth a look. I should have mine Monday. I'll give a review if anyone is interested.

Just purchased the Altimeter3, let me know what you think of yours!

Went ahead and switched my order to the one. Are you just just attaching it to the phantom with a zip tie?

Went ahead and switched my order to the one. Are you just just attaching it to the phantom with a zip tie?
On all of my Phantoms, I have a Velcro patch on battery door. This allows me to attatch different things. Digital battery readout....bright led white light....and now the Altimeter 1. I also like to attatch a tether string to a landing leg on all my stuff...like my DroneMods GPS TRACKER although the tracker goes on the bottom behind camera mount also with Velcro and tether.

I finally did some testing with my Altimeter 1 today. I think I like it. The resolution is in 1 foot increments. I can turn it on in my basement and it is at zero. As I walk up the stairs to first and second floor, it changes and seems accurate enough. I have some tall trees. So, first flight I went to top of tree. Brought quad down and it read 72 feet. Sounds about right. Cleared it and went up again. I went up high to where the quad was quite small. That read at 325 feet. I could still go higher but don't really see the need. Next is to have the altimeter in front of Gopro to record height while flying although the view will be blocked some. Also can aim the fpv camera at altimeter to see real time altitude on my Fatshark goggles or monitor while recording with Gopro.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl