Alternative to gopro 3?

Reaction score
Hello Phantom owners :=)

I just bought a Phantom and now I want to get some shots with camera.
I cant pay for gopro hero 3. What other good alternatives are out there? I don't need the camera to be dust, wind, water etc resistant, just to take some fine pictures and be quite lightweight.

Thanks

Simon

You can get the JVC Adixxion for about $169. It has image stabilization, HD video, time lapse stills, a color LCD screen, built-in WiFi. it is shockproof, dustproof and waterproof without an external housing.

Buy a used or silver or white gopro.

Here's your issue. Everything is standardized for the go pro in the phantom world. The JVC and the Sony are fine cameras in their own way, but mounts and adapters and filters are all designed for the GoPro.

A white or silver is less than $250, or buy a 1. I can sell you that for $125

D

I have to agree with CameraGuy -- the Phantom is basically "married" to the GoPro, so like it or not you'll have a lot more choices for mounting, gimbals, and advice if you use a GoPro. I started out with a Drift HD 170, a camera I was quite happy with... until I began using it on the Phantom. It wasn't long before I traded an expensive Canon lens to another Phantom owner for a used Hero3. I don't really like the Hero but it does the job with a lot less hassle.

CameraGuy said:

Here's your issue. Everything is standardized for the go pro in the phantom world. The JVC and the Sony are fine cameras in their own way, but mounts and adapters and filters are all designed for the GoPro.

D

I heard the 1 is really bad :) thanks anyway

GearLoose said:
I have to agree with CameraGuy -- the Phantom is basically "married" to the GoPro, so like it or not you'll have a lot more choices for mounting, gimbals, and advice if you use a GoPro. I started out with a Drift HD 170, a camera I was quite happy with... until I began using it on the Phantom. It wasn't long before I traded an expensive Canon lens to another Phantom owner for a used Hero3. I don't really like the Hero but it does the job with a lot less hassle.

But what difference would it make, if another camera can be put where the gopro should be put? Seems like many phantom gimbals easily can hold other types of camera´s with a little imagination

syotr said:
You can get the JVC Adixxion for about $169. It has image stabilization, HD video, time lapse stills, a color LCD screen, built-in WiFi. it is shockproof, dustproof and waterproof without an external housing.

I do like this camera. Do you know if the wifi app will make you able to choose when to take pictures or the range of the wifi?

Unfortunately the Gopro is what it's made for. i say unfortunately because the gopro is a pretty crappy camera. It's buggy, prone to overheating and locking up. I had tons of issues with the GoPro Hero 2, for some reason though it would be better with the Hero 3 and nope, it's by far worse with lockups and seemingly even lower quality than the 2.

simonthk said:
CameraGuy said:

D

I heard the 1 is really bad :) thanks anyway

I made money with it.
:lol: :lol:
No worries, just trying to help

D

simonthk said:
syotr said:

I do like this camera. Do you know if the wifi app will make you able to choose when to take pictures or the range of the wifi?

DJI have posted they do not recommend using the wifi off of a GoPro and the Phantom radio at the same time. I believe any of the "adventure cameras" that include wifi use the same 2.4gHz bandwidth, so..... you can take you chances, but most of us have learned NOT to use a 2.4ghz radio with a 2.4ghz camera wifi.

Just sayin, that's the reason people use the 5.8ghz spektrum for FPV.

Hope this helps

D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31