Alternative to DJI 2.4ghz Ground Station

Reaction score
Hello Fellow pilots,

Is anyone aware of an alternative to the above? I got one of the first Phantom 2's to bit Australia (after purchasing a Phantom 1, 3 months earlier). I understood that according to the DJI site, it was going to be January before it would work. But I have to admit that I am very disappointed at the lack of feedback or activity from DJI on this issue. They seem to be spending more time on new product releases & website updates than looking after the customers that have shown faith in them.

I'm just about to get ready to get rid of it all.

So back to my question, is there any third party ground station that is available or any other way to get around it.

Thanks for any comments in advance

tango said:
Hello Fellow pilots,

Is anyone aware of an alternative to the above? I got one of the first Phantom 2's to bit Australia (after purchasing a Phantom 1, 3 months earlier). I understood that according to the DJI site, it was going to be January before it would work. But I have to admit that I am very disappointed at the lack of feedback or activity from DJI on this issue. They seem to be spending more time on new product releases & website updates than looking after the customers that have shown faith in them.

So back to my question, is there any third party ground station that is available or any other way to get around it.

have you had a look at the DJI Wookong or is this a bit O.T.T for you.

chopperflyer said:
tango said:
Hello Fellow pilots,

have you had a look at the DJI Wookong or is this a bit O.T.T for you.

If he's going to go so far as to replace the flight controller, he could just get a regular NAZA v2 and the 2.4GHz GS will work with that.

Thanks for the responses. The Phantom 2 comes with Naza v2 but ground station won't work & isn't likely to in the near future. Can the wookong go in the phantom 2?

Just to let you know:

The Naza V2 from a Phantom 1 and the WooKong will not give you status LEDs through the arms. You will basically be flying blind unless you add a status LED to it.

And no, the WooKong will not fit in the P2 without some serious work concerning the extra wire and IMU module.

tango said:
Thanks for the responses. The Phantom 2 comes with Naza v2 but ground station won't work & isn't likely to in the near future. Can the wookong go in the phantom 2?

The Phantom 2 has a locked down version of the NAZA v2. The GS can and does work with a standard off-the-shelf NAZA v2.

Netfreak is right though, the Wookong won't fit in or even on a Phantom without some serious and impractical modifications, and although a retail boxed NAZA will include an LED module it still won't do notifications through the ones on the arms.

netphreak said:
The DJI GS uses a CANBUS packet algorithm, and it has been somewhat decoded. Unfortunately, there isn't a 3rd party GS that interfaces directly to the NAZA.

Do you have any links you can provide on decoding the CAN bus messages that will control the NAZA? I am only familiar with decoding CAN bus messages that come out of the NAZA. I am not aware that anyone has successfully directed the NAZA via the CAN bus.

ianwood said:
netphreak said:
The DJI GS uses a CANBUS packet algorithm, and it has been somewhat decoded. Unfortunately, there isn't a 3rd party GS that interfaces directly to the NAZA.

Do you have any links you can provide on decoding the CAN bus messages that will control the NAZA? I am only familiar with decoding CAN bus messages that come out of the NAZA. I am not aware that anyone has successfully directed the NAZA via the CAN bus.

I never said it has been controlled via the CAN bus, it's just been decoded.

netphreak said:
ianwood said:
netphreak said:

I never said it has been controlled via the CAN bus, it's just been decoded.

Yes, but simply reading messages on the CAN bus won't get you ground station functionality. It can give you telemetry but you can't control the NAZA. To control it, you need to generate CAN messages that can be sent to the NAZA. As far as I know, no one has done that yet.

There had been a bunch of people who have successfully placed a non watered down naza v2 into the p2. Search rc groups on a thread about freeing the phantom 2 battery. Most of these folks did it to remove the battery restrictions (they can still use the smart battery to the fullest, but no longer restricted to only use it). Status can be seen using a $10 led module for the naza.

I am too very annoyed about the locked down fc that came in the p2. Why no gs? Why no PPM? Why lock down the battery? If you made a good battery, good, put it on the market. This is not an ink jet printer...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj