Already bored - how do you stay excited to fly your P3?

I do like the idea of road trips with the P3. Even if it's just a day trip with the family and I get to go through a couple of batteries. That might work for me. I may be going to the Philippines on Monday. I think I'll leave it home for that trip if it pushes through. Have you taken your P3 out of the U.S.?
I do this all the time! Thursday is my excursion day. I go out all alone - no fiancee, anyone, just a "me" day and I usually drive somewhere within an hour radius. I shoot a couple of batteries, and then spend the remainder of the week editing and then planning my next outing with google maps searches and checking no fly zones and yadayada. I actually wish I had more time for it.

Reactions: Fplvert
Do you have a 4K TV? If so, upgrade to the P3P and be amazed. Even the "boring" stuff seems to come to life in 4K.

Flying is just half the fun for me. I really enjoy watching what my quad has recorded.
No 4K yet. I'm holding out for a more affordable 4K OLED panel. With Panasonic today announcing that they will release an OLED panel to compete with LG, the prices for OLED should drop quickly in the next 6-8 months. I don't like LCD panels at all.

Thursday is my excursion day

That's a good idea. For me it's a bit different now that I am (happily) retired, but I am BIG fan of going out solo to do what I want to do at my own pace. You inspired me to head out tomorrow to shoot a site I've been thinking about for a while. It involves walking along the railroad tracks for a couple of miles to gain proximity, which is officially discouraged, but what the heck.

I do this all the time! Thursday is my excursion day. I go out all alone - no fiancee, anyone, just a "me" day and I usually drive somewhere within an hour radius. I shoot a couple of batteries, and then spend the remainder of the week editing and then planning my next outing with google maps searches and checking no fly zones and yadayada. I actually wish I had more time for it.
That's awesome. I can see myself doing this also.

Reactions: AlmostTan
That's a good idea. For me it's a bit different now that I am (happily) retired, but I am BIG fan of going out solo to do what I want to do at my own pace. You inspired me to head out tomorrow to shoot a site I've been thinking about for a while. It involves walking along the railroad tracks for a couple of miles to gain proximity, which is officially discouraged, but what the heck.
Hope you share the footage too! I shared a video on facebook yesterday and over 400 people have shared it and it has 20k views as of today. I never even imagined in my wildest dreams some little home video I made would be firing around the web but it has invigorated me to do more and be better!

PS.I think even flying over railroad tracks while you gain proximity will make beautiful footage too! Last week while I was trying to gain proximity to a site, I carried my P3 through a narrow bridge and the shots turned out nicely without draining too much battery.

Reactions: TulsaReiner and Oso
Wow, you guys are giving me (and hopefully everyone) plenty of good ideas so far.

For me, at home there is not a lot of interesting things to photograph around, and I am busy and rarely have time to fly. Lots of green tree canopy that looks uniform from above, the local city is within five miles of an airport so limits good city shots, and no amazing architectural marvels around. So I am not as into flying as I wish I was. On the other hand, when I vacation to Prince Edward Island in Canada I go through batteries like anything as it is so amazing to be flying around and filming light houses, sea cliffs, fishing boats, and a million other things. So to keep it exciting for me I need to have a supply of things and locations to photograph and make montage videos of. If that is not where you live, plan a trip and bring your P3.

(I also bought the HDMI output and a pair of headplay goggles that have not arrived yet. It is my hope that this will add a new dimension to the hobby for me and it will be like flying and seeing the world in ways that I never could before. Sailing over rivers and trees and what not and experiencing the world in new ways...I hope it will live up to that expectation, we will see).

Flying is fun but using the P3 to create pictures that just aren't possible without it is a good way to keep the interest levels up.
DJI_0118a-XL.jpg

DJI_0715-730a-XL.jpg

Flying is fun but using the P3 to create pictures that just aren't possible without it is a good way to keep the interest levels up.
DJI_0118a-XL.jpg

DJI_0715-730a-XL.jpg
So awesome. Thanks for sharing these.

Yep! I do WAY more stills than video, too. I'm always looking at the next great shot, whether it be a landscape or pano or just anything that catches my eye. Drove out to the lake the other day, on the way saw a huge field covered in large round hay bales. Going back tomorrow evening at the magic hour to actually shoot some video this time. A low flyover across the field followed by a pullback reveal of the entire scene. I don't know.................... I "see" a cool picture in it, just have to shoot it and figure out just what!

I would if I didn't have to deal with the exemption.
Ah forget money. You'll never get paid what you're worth anyway. Artists make art not because the public consumes (and sometimes pays) for it, but rather because making art is what artists do. So be an artist. Make a video that satisfies these two criteria.
1. Its what you want to see.
2. No one else has done it quite the way you envision it.

It can take people a lifetime to satisfy those two requirements and many never achieve it. But the journey itself is almost always worth the trip.

Another idea, install some long range gear and see how far you can send it. I can imagine you will get the same feeling you 1st did in the sky if you send it 6 miles out!

Reactions: phantom13flyer
I am fascinated with the racing drones ever since I went to the Drone Racing Championships recently. They seem to be more robust as well. The P3 seems to be so fragile. I know the P3 is not a racer and it's a camera platform like a flying tripod. Still, does it have to break so easily? Does the camera and gimbal have to jettison and rip the ribbon cable so easily? Again, the P3 is amazing but I do wish that we could be a bit more daring with it and not risk as much destruction.

that is exactly why I bought a like new used P2 V1 from B&H for cheap.
I added a c-go1 yaneek 5.8 camera under it for $60.
this I can fly a bit more relaxed and free than the P2V2+.
I use it In woods , along creeks, down rivers, etc. I fly it 4 to 1 over the plus mostly just for fun

Reactions: TulsaReiner and Oso
Fortunately, I live in San Diego so I can travel about an hour or two to get to some really great places to fly from mountain tops to oceans to deserts of different kinds.

I think I'd just have to travel more if I moved away from here.

Travel with it. I don't fly every day any more but I am gearing up for a road trip across Big Sky country to the west coast in the fall. I'm sure I'll find a few interesting sites and sights along the way.

I always have at least one of my phantom 2 with me in car.
stuff happens sometimes around you, and in just a few minutes my camera can be in the air if desired.
sunsets, storms, scenic stops, anything!

Reactions: Oso
Yep! I do WAY more stills than video, too. I'm always looking at the next great shot, whether it be a landscape or pano or just anything that catches my eye. Drove out to the lake the other day, on the way saw a huge field covered in large round hay bales. Going back tomorrow evening at the magic hour to actually shoot some video this time. A low flyover across the field followed by a pullback reveal of the entire scene. I don't know.................... I "see" a cool picture in it, just have to shoot it and figure out just what!

Sounds awesome!

Fortunately, I live in San Diego so I can travel about an hour or two to get to some really great places to fly from mountain tops to oceans to deserts of different kinds.

I think I'd just have to travel more if I moved away from here.
I live in San Diego too! We do have everything in close proximity...and also a lot of no fly zones around here!

Reactions: Othan1
I live in San Diego too! We do have everything in close proximity...and also a lot of no fly zones around here!

Awesome! There's a drone meetup group out here, too. And yes, we have so many frightened NIMBYs here. It's unreal. It'll be a while before I can fly it again because it committed suicide. Until then, I'm flying my toys...MJX X600 Hex with 720p camera. Bleagh. At least the kids will enjoy it. heh.

Awesome! There's a drone meetup group out here, too. And yes, we have so many frightened NIMBYs here. It's unreal. It'll be a while before I can fly it again because it committed suicide. Until then, I'm flying my toys...MJX X600 Hex with 720p camera. Bleagh. At least the kids will enjoy it. heh.
Have you been to the meetup group? I was under the impression it was mostly FVP racers.
You're right about the NIMBYs...I posted a pic to /r/sandiego and got raped, lol.
I have a Syma on backup that I hope to never use again -- I feel your pain!

Build a racing drone.

thats what imdid. i built a zmr250, crashed it like a zillion times, learned to fly it and after a couple months i flied again the phantom.

now i switch between them and i started building a long range tbs disco pro, just in case i get bored again :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20